ECU reflash

Tooner
Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider

ECU reflash

Post by Tooner » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:30 pm

I've commuted for two days now after the reflash and...

I can definitely feel a change. The power feels smooth and linear increasing all the way up to the new limit of 13,500.
The old power may have had a little more torque in the 9,000 to 10,000rpm range, but it died at 12,000 which really sucked in 5th and 6th without enough power to reach the limiter unless going downhill or massive tailwind present. The power gain (10+/- hp) is in the 12-13,500 range.

Since the cat and muffler have been replaced with at two brothers slip on, there is no exhaust valve to disable but the guy said I could now remove the servo buddy as it was no longer needed to make the ECU think the exhaust valve was working correctly.

I have always wanted the radiator fan to kick on at a lower temp, this was just a bonus that is not such a big deal in the winter but may help the bike run cooler in the summer.

Raising the RPM limiter. I was not so sure about opting in for this, but when I saw the dyno chart of another CBR100rr on Dano's home page I was in!

Disable fuel cut on deceleration. It turns out this may be the surprise of the whole package. I did not realize how much of the engine brake on my bike came from cutting off the fuel and I just got used to the unsettling bump I felt getting back on the throttle in every corner at the track as well as on the street. I did not realize what a PITA the fuel cut off was, so glad it's gone! Welcome to much smoother throttle transitions!

Set in gear idle to 1700? I think that may be a typo since the tachometer reads 1200rpms when in gear.....

$180 well spent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Tooner on Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shane
Current ride and track: 2009 CBR 1000rr
2018 crf450r

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Re: ECU reflash

Post by milesmiles » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:29 pm

You have a triple? I have all the software and plug to do all that. Only thing I won't do is the maps, but you're welcome to upload what you want.
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:29 pm

Will and I did mine at bike night years ago
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

soslow
Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 0

Post by soslow » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:38 am

Hi Shane, wow you are really getting that bike sorted out. Honda should have spoken with you prior to its' release.

I have been thinking about having my bike reworked for a few issues but have not found a shop that will mess with it except Sabin Performance and I will not go back to him. I have read of smoother power as well as getting rid of the wandering throttle I have at 78-82 mph. The bike has a magneti marelli ecu which apparently makes things tricky. Did you send your ecu to them or did they just send you a file?

thanks

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:47 am

milesmiles wrote:You have a triple?
Damn, that's almost insulting to a Honda rider. I bet all 4 of his cylinders work.
Tooner wrote:
Disable fuel cut on deceleration. It turns out this may be the surprise of the whole package. I did not realize how much of the engine brake on my bike came from cutting off the fuel and I just got used to the unsettling bump I felt getting back on the throttle in every corner at the track as well as on the street. I did not realize what a PITA the fuel cut off was, so glad it's gone! Welcome to much smoother throttle transitions!
Engine braking is adjustable on the '17 RSV4, the first time I plaid with it I found my self yelling "oh shit" going into a corner with almost no engine braking - how much does not cutting the fuel reduce engine braking, is it a lot, or just a little?

I never thought about the transition from brake to gas (that little jerk when the gas comes on) so I'll probably play with this setting again when I'm able to ride.
K1600

Tooner
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Tooner » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:14 pm

milesmiles wrote:You have a triple? I have all the software and plug to do all that. Only thing I won't do is the maps, but you're welcome to upload what you want.
Don't have a triple yet, maybe someday if my current ride dies before I do... :((
Shane
2018 crf450r

Tooner
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Tooner » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:44 pm

soslow wrote:Hi Shane, wow you are really getting that bike sorted out. Honda should have spoken with you prior to its' release.

I have been thinking about having my bike reworked for a few issues but have not found a shop that will mess with it except Sabin Performance and I will not go back to him. I have read of smoother power as well as getting rid of the wandering throttle I have at 78-82 mph. The bike has a magneti marelli ecu which apparently makes things tricky. Did you send your ecu to them or did they just send you a file?

thanks
Hey Mike, ya I went to their webpage, paid with plastic. Took the ECU off the bike and sent it to Calif. They called me when they received it and went through the list of optional changes to perform on the ECU reflash. The phone call was reassuring in that the guy told me what to expect with each option. He actually talked me into the fuel cut off option. He asked about what air filter and exhaust I was running and told me about the typical results to expect. Is it possible that the engine just has less vibration? It seems smoother and I know it sounds crazy, but the exhaust sounds different??? The changes are subtle and except for that 9-10,000rpm power burst that is gone, I like all the new....
Shane
2018 crf450r

Tooner
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Tooner » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:20 pm

fixxervi6 wrote:
milesmiles wrote:You have a triple?
Damn, that's almost insulting to a Honda rider. I bet all 4 of his cylinders work.
Tooner wrote:
Engine braking is adjustable on the '17 RSV4, the first time I plaid with it I found my self yelling "oh shit" going into a corner with almost no engine braking - how much does not cutting the fuel reduce engine braking, is it a lot, or just a little?

I never thought about the transition from brake to gas (that little jerk when the gas comes on) so I'll probably play with this setting again when I'm able to ride.

Before the reflash I may have discounted the effect of having an adjustable engine brake, now I'm thinking how nice it would be to be able to adjust it like you can, not just have it gone! I don't know how to quantify how much less engine braking I have now that the fuel is not being cut off by the ECU, but I really like it and I also had that bit of a surprise feeling in the first few corners of coming in a little faster than usual and I was soon smiling!!! Ya, and it was just a little jerk when the gas used to come back on mid-corner, and it was just a fraction of a second delay, but GOOD RIDDANCE!

I hope you are feeling better and able to ride soon.
Shane
2018 crf450r

soslow
Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 0

Post by soslow » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:26 pm

it is absolutely possible and probably probable that the engine is smoother.