Motorcycle Insurance, it's pricing time of year.

How much do you pay for full coverage insurance for your bike?

Under $50
14%
$50 - $76
21%
$75 - $89
50%
$90 - $109
7%
$110 - $119
7%
$120 +
No votes

Total votes: 14

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Re: Motorcycle Insurance, it's pricing time of year.

Post by DarcShadow » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:54 pm

most of them these days just plug the vin number into their system and go with what it says.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

sckego
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 49

Post by sckego » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:41 pm

DarcShadow wrote:most of them these days just plug the vin number into their system and go with what it says.
Funny story... I got my quote by just punching in the bike types and cc's... so I chose "Yamaha FZ1-S" since that's what I have. Later, when I'm required to put in the VIN, it comes back with, "whoops, looks like you actually have a FZ1-S-CA!" OK, sure, my bike is a California model, click OK... "The changes you have made effect your premium. Please review your new quote." And it's $200 less! WIN. I guess people in CA crash less or something.
Kegan "Glowstick"
'12 MTS1200ST - '15 CB500F - AFM #895 - AMA #3283468 - IBA #41999

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 0

Post by dufremle » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:53 pm

The last time I checked I had a couple agents tell me they used to go by CCs, but now they go by model. Evidently not all 1000cc bikes cost the same to repair. They told me Honda's cost more to repair (which they do) and so the Honda insurance is slightly higher than say, Suzuki's. Which would make sense.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

Dragonfly
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 36

Post by Dragonfly » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:12 pm

sckego wrote:
DarcShadow wrote:most of them these days just plug the vin number into their system and go with what it says.
Funny story... I got my quote by just punching in the bike types and cc's... so I chose "Yamaha FZ1-S" since that's what I have. Later, when I'm required to put in the VIN, it comes back with, "whoops, looks like you actually have a FZ1-S-CA!" OK, sure, my bike is a California model, click OK... "The changes you have made effect your premium. Please review your new quote." And it's $200 less! WIN. I guess people in CA crash less or something.

No,people in California don't crash less. It's that the California models are so heavily restricted for emissions compliance that they produce less HP than non-California models.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Not all who wander are lost"

Striple
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Expert
Achievement count: 42

Post by Striple » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:30 pm

I'm with Dairyland, and pay roughly $70/month, which fully covers (minus my own medical cost, for which I have separate health insurance) both the CBR and the SV. This includes substantial discounts for being hitched, having taken the ERC, and for being an AMA member.

After my experience of dealing with Dairyland for the Speed Triple crash, I vowed to switch insurance companies. Then I checked all the prices again, and no other company was even close.
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

Grinner
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 25

Post by Grinner » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:10 pm

when I first got my bike, I went with Dairyland because I had heard all the same stories about "cheapest price". I only went with liability in the begining because I was spending more time working than getting a chance to ride and winter was coming up. So while I was working out of town for a few months, they had decided to "bump" me to full coverage without my knowledge. By the time I had realized this was as I was going through my mail getting caught up on things after I got back into town.
(of course, the mail catch up starts from the most recent and goes back being that is genrally how I end up with it in front of me)
First letter from them I saw was you have been cancelled and you still owe us such and such amount.
...like phuc I do!!! I have been paying on time since day one a-hole!
Second & third....say that I need to pay $$$ immediately or I will be dropped.
...wtf?!?!
fourth...here is your "new" policy with changes.
...again, Wtf?!
finally i get to the fifth letter....please sign and return stating that you wish to not have us upgrade you to full coverage. Otherwise, we will change your policy to reflect the new coverages.
...WTF?!!!! Are you friggin kiddin me?!!!! These phucrs are a-holes to pull a switch like that.
phone call to Dickland rep went something like this....
Hello, this is Dickland Rep so and so. How may I be of assistance?
First off...what the heck kind of a scam service are you freaks running there?
Excuse me?
I leave town for work for a few months with my insurance paid up to date and kept paying on time while I was gone. At least so I thought until I get back home and you guys have dropped my a$$ and say I still owe you $$$!
The typical...sir can I get yuor info and blah...blah...blah crap.

Well sir, it shows here that your policy was cancelled due to non payment of funds.
Non payment of funds?! Only after you a-holes switched my policy without my knowledge!
Went back n forth a couple of times but eventually got around to they made a halfassed attempt to save face and try to get me to "come back to" them but I stated that this was one of the times I will not give a second chance due to it was already burned sending a letter of such (policy chang unless you sign) in the first place. They still tried to tell me I owed them $$$ even after that but finally gave up when they realized they were spending too much in funds just to tell me this.
All in all, I immediately went to my State Farm Agent after I hung up with them initially and had them write me a policy on my bike that I stayed with until I bought my house and changed to Progressive.

No matter what, I will never use or recommend Dickland to anyone!
In a way it stands with what my father taught me that cheapest is only the best quality on very rare occasions and nothing in life is free!
Lesson Learned! Thanks Dad!! (RIP)
:D
Copper K3SV650S & K3SV1000S
Enjoy your Life...Don't Die Young Feeling Old When You Can Die Old Feeling Young!!
"Grinner is carrying the Black man-card, aka he has aquired enough man points his card is upgraded to the top teir." - fixxervi6