Cresson, July 16 & 17

Post up RideSmart events and Trackday raffles here
Telomere
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 22

Re: Cresson, July 16 & 17

Post by Telomere » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:42 pm

LonestarCBR wrote:No idea, I was taking it easy on the straights versus hauling ass and trying to focus on lines, and later body position. Sunday I picked the pace up, and I have some video, might be able to figure it out from that.
OK. Not a big deal (just trying to get a reference for time for each level). I have no idea what my time was when I rode track.

I won't do cresson CW. Do you think you were faster on Sunday because of the track or because you were more comfortable with the bike? Are you able to switch your street bike to GP shift (it might help for when you get back on the track).
Chance favors the prepared mind.

WickerMan
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 1

Post by WickerMan » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:56 pm

I did take it much more easy than I did last November. It was hot and I had pulled a back muscle the day before in the pool, so I wasn't 100%. I didn't pass much because I have no power to pass anyone on the straights, I could pull up before the apex but not have the power to cut inside and pass, I guess my corner speeds were about the same as anyone else except the really slow. Also I can't lean over as far as a RR or I will drag pegs, which I did in roundabout and little bend or buzzards neck.
I really did what Dave said, I started out at 60% and went a little faster each session. I also religiously followed the line because I am a little paranoid about someone running into me, and I keep the 6 foot rule and try to stay away from people. I wasn't trying to set a record lap, I know that isn't what track days are for. I'm no racer and my machine isn't either. I guess I will be in Level 1 for a while longer, I mean that was my 3rd track day, so I'm not very experienced.
What is up with this space?
2015 ZX-6R 30th Anniversary
2014 CBR500R HRC
2007 Ruckus winter camo

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:06 pm

WickerMan wrote:I did take it much more easy than I did last November. It was hot and I had pulled a back muscle the day before in the pool, so I wasn't 100%. I didn't pass much because I have no power to pass anyone on the straights, I could pull up before the apex but not have the power to cut inside and pass, I guess my corner speeds were about the same as anyone else except the really slow. Also I can't lean over as far as a RR or I will drag pegs, which I did in roundabout and little bend or buzzards neck.
I really did what Dave said, I started out at 60% and went a little faster each session. I also religiously followed the line because I am a little paranoid about someone running into me, and I keep the 6 foot rule and try to stay away from people. I wasn't trying to set a record lap, I know that isn't what track days are for. I'm no racer and my machine isn't either. I guess I will be in Level 1 for a while longer, I mean that was my 3rd track day, so I'm not very experienced.
Do you have the peg feelers on your bike still? Some of those are way longer than they need to be.
K1600

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:44 pm

Telomere wrote:I won't do cresson CW.
Why?
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:47 pm

fixxervi6 wrote:
WickerMan wrote:I did take it much more easy than I did last November. It was hot and I had pulled a back muscle the day before in the pool, so I wasn't 100%. I didn't pass much because I have no power to pass anyone on the straights, I could pull up before the apex but not have the power to cut inside and pass, I guess my corner speeds were about the same as anyone else except the really slow. Also I can't lean over as far as a RR or I will drag pegs, which I did in roundabout and little bend or buzzards neck.
Do you have the peg feelers on your bike still? Some of those are way longer than they need to be.
And was your knee on the ground? If you're dragging peg before knee, on a sport bike anyway, you need to work on body position.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

LonestarCBR
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 32

Post by LonestarCBR » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:56 pm

Just quick glance at video at 1:49 I was running along with what I would call about 50% of the riders. At 1:45 I was starting to crawl all over some of them, getting passed by a few others. This was on the CW, and I would say people were being more cautious than CCW overall. At no point did I ever wick-up the throttle heavy...I think the most I saw on the tach was 12k a few times, and stayed in 3rd/4th most of the time, never up or down much beyond that. With a little effort at making time everywhere, I think 1:40 is fairly doable for me at my current experience level...beyond that not so sure.

My first two days at Cresson in L1, I was all about getting faster as quickly as possible. In L2, as stated above, I tried to follow instructions, get used to the supersport bike, and follow the lines. I can see I did that fairly well through the videos. Body position...that's another thing. I had a couple of rounds with instructors where they commented favorably as they saw improvement, and once I finally got all of the old bones and muscles moving, I could feel and see a big difference.

"Looking through the curve" is very key, and I felt a ton of improvement in my smoothness, staying on line at more speed, and body position once I started getting my head out and around more. I kept thinking how much easier it would have been if I was only 1/2 my age.
~ Terry
'12 Speed Triple 1050 ABS, '07 GSX-R750 (track)
Happiness isn't around the corner, it IS the corner.
Anybody can jump a motorcycle. The trouble begins when you try to land it. EK

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:02 pm

LonestarCBR wrote: I kept thinking how much easier it would have been if I was only 1/2 my age.
I think the only advantage this would have is lack of fear or inhibition of pushing beyond your comfort zone. Look at my teenage daughter who has no fear of wrecking!!! I think that is because of her age.

WickerMan
Achievement count: 1

Post by WickerMan » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:15 pm

Yes I do have feelers. They are just little nut cap looking things but I guess I can get rid of them. I think my rear sets are low. I'm hanging off like crazy and I have never got a knee down. I've got my head toward the mirror. It seems like I'm leaned over like crazy, but when I look at the Heart photos, it looks like I'm barely leaning.
What is up with this space?
2015 ZX-6R 30th Anniversary
2014 CBR500R HRC
2007 Ruckus winter camo

LonestarCBR
Achievement count: 32

Post by LonestarCBR » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:32 pm

Checked my last session...1:39:90, 1:40:70, some 1:42's. The track was clearing a little, and I was picking up my straight-away speed some. Then I realized I was gassed and quit.
~ Terry
'12 Speed Triple 1050 ABS, '07 GSX-R750 (track)
Happiness isn't around the corner, it IS the corner.
Anybody can jump a motorcycle. The trouble begins when you try to land it. EK

turismon
Ride Leader in Training
Ride Leader in Training
Achievement count: 7

Post by turismon » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:26 pm

Not bad, that's about where you should be for level 2 solid pace.
2014 Daytona 675r
Retired: Ninja 650R

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:23 pm

Turismon wrote:Not bad, that's about where you should be for level 2 solid pace.
What is a good level 1 lap time, level 2 lap time, and level 3 lap time? I have no clue what a good time is for any of the levels are BUT I do know what record lap time is for Cresson both CCW (1.13.720) and CW (1.14.179). If this person runs track, he would be level 3.

turismon
Ride Leader in Training
Ride Leader in Training

Post by turismon » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:11 pm

IMO level 1 is anything obviously. YOu probably should bump to level 2 when your hitting the mid to low 1:40's, level 3 is basically sub 1:30. Give or take a few seconds either way depending on lines/confidence yada yada.
2014 Daytona 675r

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:41 pm

How do you guys know the times appropriate for each level? Obviously, 1:30s and below should be level 3. It isn't like this information is out there on the web and what is out there is all opinions of what people think. Hell, maybe I think 2:00 is good for level 2, since most people just move up instead of asking an instructor. I am seriously just curious because there is nothing out there but opinions and I have no idea what times I was running when I did track (key word...when).

turismon
Ride Leader in Training
Ride Leader in Training

Post by turismon » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:46 pm

There really isn't. That's why I said lines and pace. It kind of depends who's there as a whole. But more important it's going to be holding lines and not braking in turns and stuff like that. But pretty much those things will give you about the lap times I put on there. But it's that and comfort level. I mean you start at one if your faster than pretty much everyone and rarely get passed and do a lot of passing then most likely your ready for level two that's how I see it :p. If your like that "aka Rick" in level two your pretty much able to go up to to three but that's hefty jump and if your not comfortable then you don't technically half too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Daytona 675r

turismon
Ride Leader in Training
Ride Leader in Training

Post by turismon » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:49 pm

Obviously you would want an instructor or an experienced friend follow you and make sure your lines are proper too and not putting anyone in the level above in danger including yourself b

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Daytona 675r

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:55 pm

Somewhere there was posted (maybe motodfw) that level 3 at cresson CCW starts at 1:35, TWS was like 2:15 or something like that (it's been a while I may be way off), I don't remember ECR. When those numbers went up they were hotly debated and eventually disappeared from the interwebs.
K1600

JTChiTown
Club Member
Club Member

Post by JTChiTown » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:50 am

Man I wish I there....

For all of yall complaining about traffic.... what type of racing do you want to see? 1 dude just blazing lap times, or 4 guys mixing it up?

After getting comfortable at a track, my time became consumed, with "who can I catch, and hoe do I pass them?". That was far more fun than making sure my line was perfect, or that my body was perfect, just get out there and have fun. After my 1 and only TD with RS, when I started lapping people in lvl1 is when Clint told me I should be in lvl2.

Now if only I can get back to the track....

And my fastest time on my thumb switch was either a 1:37 or a 1:39. With most being in the 1:40-41 time. I wasn't the fastest, but it wasn't just about lap times. Lines, braking, control all need to be repeatable as well. 1 good lap doesn't get to lvl2.
Jeff

"Drive fast, attract Cops; Drive faster, attract Sponsors"