Hello from (currently) the west coast

Tell us a little about yourself and say hello to the gang. We would like to hear about who, what, and why you ride as well as how you found us.
HoneyBadger302
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Expert
Achievement count: 0

Hello from (currently) the west coast

Post by HoneyBadger302 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:20 pm

So it's looking fairly likely that sometime this year (when depends on a few variables) I may likely be moving to the DFW area with my job. I know the street riding probably can't compare to what I have here in the San Francisco area, BUT, figured I'd see what local riders enjoy and where the roads are (close or further away). I'm currently a part of a women's riding club out here (in addition to all the track and racing stuff which I'll definitely be involved with out there).

Been riding since 2005 when I went through the MSF in Wisconsin, then moved to California the next year, and been out here since. Priced out of the Bay area, and with my job moving and a few other factors, moving to Dallas with work is looking like the strongest possibility of where I will end up. Current street bike is my "B" bike that I keep in street trim and street legal.

Just wanted to post a quick introduction in case I pop into another thread!
AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2019 sponsors!!
RiderzLaw; Roseville Yamaha-Kawasaki; BARF Racing; MCTech; DareDevil Motorsports; Fast Franks Racing; Pacific Track Time; Motion Pro; Chicken Hawk Racing; Skratch Labs

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider

Re: Hello from (currently) the west coast

Post by dufremle » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:20 pm

Welcome! Unfortunately the roads around here are nothing like what you are used to. We have some decent roads, but most are a couple hours away. We have a couple of tracks close by, but I haven't done a track day in several years so I can't say how good they are. We have several people here who do a lot of track days so I'll let them speak about it. Let us know if you end up moving here.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:12 am

Yeah, street riding around here is kind of a bummer in that you have to go a pretty good ways to get to anything fun and then it'll pale in comparison to what your use to. Track days around here are not bad though. We have two tracks within about an hour of DFW and a 3rd track down in Houston, and then COTA in Austin. The first 3 are decent tracks but just about anyone outside of Texas complains about how ruff they are. COTA is another level though. Built for F1 and used by MotoGP, the track is amazing. Unfortunately the price to ride there is pretty crazy but it's well worth doing it at least once.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

HoneyBadger302

Post by HoneyBadger302 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:52 pm

Looking forward to giving the local tracks a try (I'll be jumping into CMRA as soon as I'm out there), looks like my move is firming up for the end of May, so should be out there for about 2/3 of the season. I'll have to hop on a few group rides to check out local roads too and see what there is within a day's ride.
AFM #302

RiderzLaw; Roseville Yamaha-Kawasaki; BARF Racing; MCTech; DareDevil Motorsports; Fast Franks Racing; Pacific Track Time; Motion Pro; Chicken Hawk Racing; Skratch Labs

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer

Post by dufremle » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:16 pm

Cool. Let us know when you are in town.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

HoneyBadger302

Post by HoneyBadger302 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:31 am

I arrived in town on Saturday and have been getting settled in since! Hoping to dig the street bike out tomorrow for my commute, and looking to attend one of the upcoming bike nights or rides in the near future. Likely will be at the track next weekend, too.
AFM #302

JeffStrom
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 7

Post by JeffStrom » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:26 pm

Welcome to the neighborhood. Sadly I am likely to miss bike night next week due to work demands.
Jeff - Street Triple 675R / GSX-R600 / F850GSA

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer

Post by dufremle » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:37 pm

Welcome. Be careful on your commute. People don't look for motorcycles around here. I'll try to get a ride posted soon.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

HoneyBadger302

Post by HoneyBadger302 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:56 am

dufremle wrote:Welcome. Be careful on your commute. People don't look for motorcycles around here. I'll try to get a ride posted soon.
Ya, my commute is pretty quiet for the most part (took the truck the first two days to be sure) plus access to express lanes for much of it. Ride in this morning was easy-peasy, afternoon tends to be busier, but things are still fairly quiet until getting off the freeway.

But yes, I've had people try to merge into my full size pick up more than once already, I have no delusions about them ever noticing a bike!
AFM #302

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer

Post by dufremle » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:53 am

Watch the prices on the Texpress lanes. They can get expensive. Regular NTTA lanes aren't that bad.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

HoneyBadger302

Post by HoneyBadger302 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:59 am

dufremle wrote:Watch the prices on the Texpress lanes. They can get expensive. Regular NTTA lanes aren't that bad.
Ya, since the bike counts as HOV, it's not too bad, wouldn't take them with the truck though - learned that one when I was out here for work (and work was footing the bill) and saw my toll charges at the end of the week :oops:
AFM #302

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer

Post by dufremle » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:47 pm

Just remember that motorcycles do not get a discount on Texpress and NTTA toll lanes. Wish they would change that.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

HoneyBadger302

Post by HoneyBadger302 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:49 pm

dufremle wrote:Just remember that motorcycles do not get a discount on Texpress and NTTA toll lanes. Wish they would change that.
I think you have to sign up for it, but according to their website motos do count...granted, I'm just going off what I'm seeing online at this point, but looks like any HOV discounts a bike can get from what I'm finding anyways.
AFM #302

JeffStrom
Club Member
Club Member

Post by JeffStrom » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:09 pm

HoneyBadger302 wrote:
dufremle wrote:Just remember that motorcycles do not get a discount on Texpress and NTTA toll lanes. Wish they would change that.
I think you have to sign up for it, but according to their website motos do count...granted, I'm just going off what I'm seeing online at this point, but looks like any HOV discounts a bike can get from what I'm finding anyways.
That's great. I did not know that either. I wonder if it's new. Thanks!

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer

Post by dufremle » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:57 pm

Motorcycles count for hov lanes, but they are different from the toll lanes. There are only a couple of hov lanes in the area. When I get on a computer I'll post a link.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

JeffStrom
Club Member
Club Member

Post by JeffStrom » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:22 am

It is on the Texpress web site.

"Carpoolers, motorcyclists and most vanpoolers who use the TEXpress Lanes or HOV/Express Lanes, a form of TEXpress Lanes, are eligible for an HOV discount."

You apparently have to download their app (not the TollTag app) and register for it.

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer

Post by dufremle » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:53 am

I'll have to check it again, but last I looked motorcycles didn't get a discount on Texpress lanes. I do have the Texpress app. Even with the discount it's freaking expensive, though.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer

Post by dufremle » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:32 pm

It does look like motorcycles qualify for the hov discounts on Texpress lanes. I like the part where it says motorcycles don't need a rider. :D
Screenshot_20190609-172518.png
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

HoneyBadger302

Post by HoneyBadger302 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:20 pm

dufremle wrote:It does look like motorcycles qualify for the hov discounts on Texpress lanes. I like the part where it says motorcycles don't need a rider. :D

Screenshot_20190609-172518.png
Ya, I thought that was pretty hilarious - rider not required LOL, wish I could just send my bike to work without me on it :SideSplittingLaughter:
AFM #302