Texas Drivers: the most inconsiderate in the US?

This section can be controversial. All opinions and arguments are welcome. Personal attacks are not acceptable.
DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Re: Texas Drivers: the most inconsiderate in the US?

Post by DarcShadow » Tue May 17, 2016 6:10 am

fartymarty wrote:
DarcShadow wrote: Regarding the traffic merging sign, do they have those on the freeways around here? I've only ever noticed the yield signs on the entrance ramp.
Yep, almost every one of them, shown to the established traffic not the ramp traffic.
DarcShadow wrote: Will have to pay attention next time I get on 820.
Well, that's kind of extreme. I mean you'll be the only one out there paying attention on 820. :)
Saw one yesterday on my way home. I was like, all be damn, they are there. ha! They are one of those signs that is so obvious you just kind of ignore it. I see the road merging, don't need a sign to tell me about it so I don't see the sign.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Tue May 17, 2016 6:11 am

I don't have an issue with someone passing even if it is slowly passing. Matching speed isn't cool but I am patient with that as well. If it takes you 5 minutes to pass one person then I have a bit of an issue but wont get stupid about it. Longer than that and I might get stupid...... possibly starting to think that lane splitting is looking nice.

The issues I have along these lines is people like my dad. Right lane clear for a couple car lengths at least and he is riding in the left lane with cars behind him while he has the cruse set to the speed limit. Then when I say something from the passenger seat he tells me that he is doing the speed limit and they shouldn't be going faster than that anyway so he is not going to move over. Then there are the ones that don't want you to speed and will make it their personal mission to ensure you don't. Be in the right hand lane behind a big truck. Safe following distance. My wife is in her van and im following on my bike. We move to the left lane to pass the 4x4 and Big rig but the 4x4 don't like that and swerves over to get in front of our van. Then after its clear the 4x4 isn't passing the wife gets over to the right lane to pass and he speeds up to keep her from having room to pass but does not pass the big rig. I then get mad and fly up get in front and slow him down to allow my wife to get in front of me and we continue but he was not happy at all. Anyway he was an asshat.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

LonestarCBR
Achievement count: 32

Post by LonestarCBR » Tue May 17, 2016 9:03 am

I think I've encountered that very guy.
~ Terry
'12 Speed Triple 1050 ABS, '07 GSX-R750 (track)
Happiness isn't around the corner, it IS the corner.
Anybody can jump a motorcycle. The trouble begins when you try to land it. EK

nitzer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 8

Post by nitzer » Tue May 17, 2016 9:57 am

My feeling is...pass if you are going to pass...don't dilly dally...just do it. Have you ever exceeded the speed limit passing in a passing zone on a two lane highway? You wouldn't set your cruise for 5 over, get into the opposing lane of traffic, and pass at that pace so you won't get pulled over. No, you accelerate faster than you need to and complete the pass as quickly as possible. If you want to pass, pass and get it over with even if you have to speed up a little to do it. It's still illegal to accelerate to 20 over to pass on a 2 lane highway even for a few seconds. JMHO...
- Derek
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (SOLD)
2003 Suzuki SV650S (SOLD)
2008 Honda VFR 800 Interceptor (Street)

Winning hearts and minds...two the heart, one to the mind.

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Tue May 17, 2016 11:25 am

Technically I believe it's illegal to pass on a two lane rode unless the person being passed is doing 10 under the limit.

JTChiTown
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 7

Post by JTChiTown » Tue May 17, 2016 1:22 pm

DarcShadow wrote:Technically I believe it's illegal to pass on a two lane rode unless the person being passed is doing 10 under the limit.
That's a new one. Anyone have any proof of that? If that's the case, Ive broken the law almost every time I pass before I hit the speed limit. :ignore: :ignore:

I know out in Vegas on 2 lanes with pull off areas that they have signs "impeding mote than 5 vehicles illegal. Slower vehicles pull over ahead" or something to that effect. No mention of speed limits. But I'm sure this is a state by state issue.
Jeff

"Drive fast, attract Cops; Drive faster, attract Sponsors"

nitzer

Post by nitzer » Tue May 17, 2016 3:36 pm

Not in any of the statutes that I have read that the person being passed has to be doing 10 under.
- Derek

fartymarty
Achievement count: 17

Post by fartymarty » Tue May 17, 2016 3:47 pm

nitzer wrote:My feeling is...pass if you are going to pass...don't dilly dally...just do it. Have you ever exceeded the speed limit passing in a passing zone on a two lane highway? You wouldn't set your cruise for 5 over, get into the opposing lane of traffic, and pass at that pace so you won't get pulled over. No, you accelerate faster than you need to and complete the pass as quickly as possible. If you want to pass, pass and get it over with even if you have to speed up a little to do it. It's still illegal to accelerate to 20 over to pass on a 2 lane highway even for a few seconds. JMHO...
That is probably a point of view I should consider, it has additional merit in that I could pick where to do it that would minimize the chances of getting a ticket.

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Tue May 17, 2016 3:56 pm

nitzer wrote:Not in any of the statutes that I have read that the person being passed has to be doing 10 under.
I believe I was in Indiana when I was told this, and it was about 25 years ago, so things may have changed since then.

fartymarty
Achievement count: 17

Post by fartymarty » Tue May 17, 2016 4:36 pm

nitzer wrote:Not in any of the statutes that I have read that the person being passed has to be doing 10 under.
I couldn't find it either: http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... TN.545.htm

I did find it enlightening however....I always thought that the Texas tradition of moving to the right and driving on an improved shoulder so others traveling faster could safely pass on a two lane road was a nice courtesy, but actually illegal and not something to be done in sight of a LEO. I was wrong according to: Sec. 545.058 (a) (5).

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Wed May 18, 2016 5:52 am

Which is probably one big reason why so many of we Texans take exception to those who don't move over. You get behind someone from Arkansas who doesn't move over and you have to try to force yourself to remember that they "aren't from here and don't know". But a Texan not moving over...well that's just wrong and somewhere in my mind I rationalize that they are just trying to be an ass (asshat)...but you pass them and it's just some old farmer couple...could be your grandparents. :-)

Something I don't see too much anymore, that used to litter the highways everywhere in Texas..."Drive Friendly". We may need to refresh that program. :)
~ Terry

nitzer

Post by nitzer » Wed May 18, 2016 9:22 am

I don't like the whole moving over thing. I have no idea if they are talking on a cell phone or drunk and going to snap back into their lane or something. To me...drive your car and I'll drive mine. Don't expect me to do something odd just because I'm in Texas.
- Derek

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Wed May 18, 2016 10:36 am

At the end of the day, it's up to you whether you want to pass or not. If you don't, they'll move back over soon enough. But maybe what you're also saying is "I'm not going to move over for anyone either, I think it's dangerous"? Some people won't/don't, I don't think it's law that you have to, but that you can. I just find it courteous to both do for others, and have done for me.

I've spend some time in Mexico City (25 million or so people in a bowl). The traffic is amazing to watch...it's almost like a huge game of chicken, but no one gets pissed off, just a lot of give and take. I guess when you're one of 25 million people in a bowl, you learn to be more tolerant of others, or there would be 12.5 million dead in a pile otherwise. Of course most of the cars are smaller, which helps, but still its a rather exhilarating ride with someone who knows what they are doing.

We Texans always have had maybe just a "little" exaggerated sense of self-worth and entitlement...especially on the highway. :cool:
~ Terry

skids
Achievement count: 0

Post by skids » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:00 pm

I've had the "pleasure" of driving many a Texas road in the past week. It's not like my first experience, but I've come to some conclusions.

The left hand lane is the "designated passing lane". There are signs everywhere reminding people that the left hand lane is for passing only. Well fuck that. In Texas, the left hand lane is the "I'm too lazy to move over. I'm going close enough to the speed limit so I'm just going to hang out here lane." The effective passing lane is the farthest right hand lane. Even on old country roads where friendly Texans used to pull to the shoulder to let an overtaking vehicle pass have become clogged by the "I'm the only person on the road" asshole. Remember the old propaganda "Drive Friendly, The Texas Way"? Yeah, well that's out the window and it's every asshole for himself.

skids
Achievement count: 0

Post by skids » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:39 pm

In Mexico, it's a whole different thing. If you hit someone in Mexico, you're responsible. So people just drive not to hit others. In the US, people get offended if you pass them. Like it's a race and there's no damn way you're getting there first. Then you have the cop wannabes that believe it's their job to control traffic.

If someone wants to pass me, I'm happy to let them. Let them find all the popo ahead. One less thing for me to worry about.

If you're on a motorcycle, it's even worse. I've actually heard people say, it's not fair, you're cheating? Cheating at what exactly? So they get mad at the people flying for cheating? I guess I'll never understand.

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:58 am

skids wrote:Remember the old propaganda "Drive Friendly, The Texas Way"? Yeah, well that's out the window and it's every asshole for himself.
There may be some on here who are too young to remember the "Drive Friendly" signs. I'm sure there are still a few here and there, but it's like anything else...constant reminders often help. Kind of like "Don't Mess with Texas", we could use that campaign again for sure.

My big problem was seeing the commercial that had "Bob's Lane". Don't recall what exactly the product was, but it most definitely cast a cloud over something I always enjoyed. Now I spend all my time dreaming about "Terry's Lane", I never find it.
~ Terry