LSTD @ MSRC - June 10th

Striple
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Expert
Achievement count: 42

LSTD @ MSRC - June 10th

Post by Striple » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:20 am

Late notice: Anyone else interested in doing a trackday on Friday (yeah, thats this upcoming Friday) instead of going to work? I'm signed up and ready to rock. :))

Its CMRA weekend, so the pace is probably going to be a bit quicker. Beats going to work. :D
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Re: LSTD @ MSRC - June 10th

Post by milesmiles » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:27 am

Track junkie!!!!! geez how do y'all get off work so much!
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

Rhino
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:48 am

Work for a University.

I won't be there, they don't take the chain off my ankle until 6pm on Friday. :D

Striple

Post by Striple » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:53 am

Dave wrote:Work for a University.
Some might argue with you about that part. I however won't. :D
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

WillK675

Post by WillK675 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:55 am

Striple wrote:
Dave wrote:Work for a University.
Some might argue with you about that part. I however won't. :D
In that case. Any IT openings?
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

Striple

Post by Striple » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:00 am

WillK675 wrote:In that case. Any IT openings?
No, our last departmental IT person took a severance package last year, and the position sort of disappeared and got tucked in under the IT support of the college at large.

WillK675

Post by WillK675 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:44 am

That's fine. As long as I get as much time off as you. :D
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:00 pm

I worked for the OU Health Sciences Center for a year.

Never again.

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:05 pm

You can always call in sick you know. Or say you have an addict group meeting scheduled. (Not all group meetings have to help you try to stop your addiction.)
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

Striple

Post by Striple » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:24 pm

The Lone Star Track Day at MSRC was an interesting experience. Since it is CMRA weekend, it was structured differently from the non-CMRA weekends: There were still three groups, but there was no group c (the usual Lone Star equivalent to RideSmart's level 1). Instead, there were two racer groups: expert licensed racers and novice licensed racers. The third group was the intermediate/street group. That group is normally Lone Star's version of RideSmart's level 2, but in this case both newbies and advanced riders were also absorbed into that group. Sounds like a scary combination? The significant differences in rider skill were definitely an interesting variable to deal with, but it wasn't too difficult to get used to it. I ended up being able to work on those aspects that I had planned on spending time on, and - with the exception of a handful of specific situations - didn't worry too much about the other riders.

There were three aspects of the Lone Star Track Day that I really enjoyed. First, being that it is CMRA weekend, the demographics were a bit different from those that I have seen at the RideSmart track days at MSRC. The vast majority of the riders were CMRA racers, and therefore much more serious about track riding (i.e., there was less posing going on). Most people also had huge trailer setups, many with multiple race bikes and grade A equipment. Cloudy pants and I were probably the most ghetto riders there with our borrowed canopy and two folding chairs, not to mention the street-legal SV :D. The difference in skill level was also impressive! In addition, being that it is a race weekend, some of the major tire vendors were also represented with huge setups: I saw Michelin, Pirelli, and Dunlop there, offering everything from slicks to street tires.

The combination of it being CMRA weekend coming up, and the track day itself being on a week day also resulted in a very small intermediate/street group - we started out with just 14 riders! Compare that to RideSmart's 40 riders! Even Eurosport Cycle puts 20 riders on the track! It made for tons of space on the track, which was badass about 90% of the time, until all of a sudden - after riding several laps without encountering a soul - someone passed you unexpectedly on the inside of a turn (within a few feet while fully leaned over)! Holy balls! That certainly made me jump the first couple of times! As time passed by, they added a few riders that were working on their CMRA license to our group, but there was still plenty of space on the track.

The third aspect that I really appreciated was the fact that there were no mandatory classroom sessions. In fact, for our group there were no classroom sessions at all! Now as much as I appreciate all of the instruction that RideSmart provides, I also found it really helpful and refreshing to have 40 minutes of time between sessions to be able to focus on those things that you wanted to work on in the next session. I definitely felt less rushed, and much more relaxed throughout the day. Of course, that can also work against you, especially if you're a bit weak on the theoretical concepts involved in riding on the track.

Overall, I can't really say that Lone Star is better or worse than RideSmart - just different. If you have the chance to participate in one of their track days, you should definitely check them out.

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:35 am

If they have more Friday track days in the future then I will have to head out with you. I am about to have Fridays off after the 19th for about 3 months. Which means I can go to the track just about any Friday that I can get the money up to afford it.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

2track
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 21

Post by 2track » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:09 am

Thanks for the info Striple. Good write up.

WillK675

Post by WillK675 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:14 am

DemonDuck wrote:If they have more Friday track days in the future then I will have to head out with you. I am about to have Fridays off after the 19th for about 3 months. Which means I can go to the track just about any Friday that I can get the money up to afford it.
Lone star pretty much only does Fridays. They run in conjunction with CMRA so their trackdays are the Friday before race weekend, so the racers can get practice in.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:03 pm

Cool Ill keep my eyes open for one... I wonder if Ridesmart will be doing any.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:10 pm

Striple wrote:The Lone Star Track Day at MSRC was an interesting experience. Since it is CMRA weekend, it was structured differently from the non-CMRA weekends: There were still three groups, but there was no group c (the usual Lone Star equivalent to RideSmart's level 1). Instead, there were two racer groups: expert licensed racers and novice licensed racers. The third group was the intermediate/street group. That group is normally Lone Star's version of RideSmart's level 2, but in this case both newbies and advanced riders were also absorbed into that group. Sounds like a scary combination? The significant differences in rider skill were definitely an interesting variable to deal with, but it wasn't too difficult to get used to it. I ended up being able to work on those aspects that I had planned on spending time on, and - with the exception of a handful of specific situations - didn't worry too much about the other riders.

There were three aspects of the Lone Star Track Day that I really enjoyed. First, being that it is CMRA weekend, the demographics were a bit different from those that I have seen at the RideSmart track days at MSRC. The vast majority of the riders were CMRA racers, and therefore much more serious about track riding (i.e., there was less posing going on). Most people also had huge trailer setups, many with multiple race bikes and grade A equipment. Cloudy pants and I were probably the most ghetto riders there with our borrowed canopy and two folding chairs, not to mention the street-legal SV :D. The difference in skill level was also impressive! In addition, being that it is a race weekend, some of the major tire vendors were also represented with huge setups: I saw Michelin, Pirelli, and Dunlop there, offering everything from slicks to street tires.

The combination of it being CMRA weekend coming up, and the track day itself being on a week day also resulted in a very small intermediate/street group - we started out with just 14 riders! Compare that to RideSmart's 40 riders! Even Eurosport Cycle puts 20 riders on the track! It made for tons of space on the track, which was badass about 90% of the time, until all of a sudden - after riding several laps without encountering a soul - someone passed you unexpectedly on the inside of a turn (within a few feet while fully leaned over)! Holy balls! That certainly made me jump the first couple of times! As time passed by, they added a few riders that were working on their CMRA license to our group, but there was still plenty of space on the track.

The third aspect that I really appreciated was the fact that there were no mandatory classroom sessions. In fact, for our group there were no classroom sessions at all! Now as much as I appreciate all of the instruction that RideSmart provides, I also found it really helpful and refreshing to have 40 minutes of time between sessions to be able to focus on those things that you wanted to work on in the next session. I definitely felt less rushed, and much more relaxed throughout the day. Of course, that can also work against you, especially if you're a bit weak on the theoretical concepts involved in riding on the track.

Overall, I can't really say that Lone Star is better or worse than RideSmart - just different. If you have the chance to participate in one of their track days, you should definitely check them out.
Having time between sessions is something I had more of with Ride Smart, I hate feeling rushed.
K1600

NickS
Achievement count: 0

Post by NickS » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:01 pm

Interesting write up, striple.
This sounds like something for folks who have graduated to the equivalent to RS level 2. At what point does RS allow passing on the inside? Does Lone Star have any rules regarding this?
'08 Kawasaki Concours 14
'10 Kawasaki Z1000

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:39 pm

NickS wrote:Interesting write up, striple.
This sounds like something for folks who have graduated to the equivalent to RS level 2. At what point does RS allow passing on the inside? Does Lone Star have any rules regarding this?
The passing on the inside thing confused me until my second track day in the afternoon.

RS level 1 before lunch, only pass in the straights, after lunch pass on the outside only.

Well I didn't get much passing done, I HATE passing on the outside, I feel like I have a lot less control of the situation and if the person I'm trying to overtake goes wide that puts me off in the grass.

Finally they told me the below was acceptable, and its my favorite way to pass

Red line is a slow liter bike, cause the liter ones are always the slow ones until they find a straight stretch :mad:

Blue line is the pass line, stay right on top of that slow cow and then on the exit pull to the inside and punch it, but DON'T do this going INTO the curve cause its their curve and you risk a collision.

Now, I look at that and I think inside pass, but they told me to do it, and I didn't get black flagged for doing it so I kept doing it

Disclaimer: I have only two track days in and never raced

but...

Doing this is -

1. easier that playing drag strip on the straights with liter bikes
2. feels safer than outside passes in curves
3. lots more fun then playing drag strip on the straights with liter bikes
4. lots more fun than trying outside passes in curves
5. no one yelled at me for doing it sooo....
pass.jpg
(37.15 KiB) Downloaded 1367 times
K1600

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:48 am

it is going into the turn that they are concerned with. On the exit you are going into the straight where you can pass on the right or left, there is no inside/outside, so you are safe for passing.

Striple

Post by Striple » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:49 am

Blizzard_1708 wrote:it is going into the turn that they are concerned with. On the exit you are going into the straight where you can pass on the right or left, there is no inside/outside, so you are safe for passing.
Agreed. Once you pass the apex, you're technically on your way out of the turn, which means that you can pass anywhere that you won't intersect with the of the rider in front of you. Timing is the key.