Weekend trip to Hot Springs

This is the general Discussion area used for....General Discussions. Talk anything here just keep it clean and no spam.
sckego
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 49

Weekend trip to Hot Springs

Post by sckego » Tue May 08, 2007 12:47 pm

Well, after reading the rest of the thread on last Saturday's ride, I can't say I'm too bummed that I missed it. I hope the Yammies can get their wheels back in shape (round!) in short order. Meanwhile, I thought I'd share some pics of why I was absent...

Ever since I picked up the VFR (for a while before that, even), I'd been itching to take a longer, multi-day trip somewhere. Vic (fiancee) wasn't too hot on the idea of riding that far, but I managed to bribe her by choosing Hot Springs, Arkansas as the destination, and getting a bath/massage package while we were there. I picked her up Thursday afternoon from Addison (her work) and we were off to Paris. By the way, its pretty funny to call up friends, and when they ask what's up, reply, "Oh, we just decided to take a weekend vacation... we're in Paris right now. Yeah, Paris... we just got back from seeing the Eiffel tower..." :)

Somewhere around Wylie, finally out of DFW traffic!

At the Eiffel Tower

Obligatory bike shot

Friday morning started chilly and damp. We headed up 195 northeast from Paris, through Idabel, and up the 259 scenic highway. It was foggy from when we left Paris, but going up the hills in Oklahoma it got pretty thick. Finally, after getting down out of the hills and hanging a right towards Mena, it cleared up and started getting warmer. After a lunch in Mena (The Skyline Cafe, a great little joint) we headed up to Ola, then down 7 to Hot Springs.

Vic lookin cute in her rainsuit

Fog at the Three Sticks... I was taking turns marked 25 at 20 :(

We pulled into Hot Springs at about 3PM. Talk about a cool town! The main drag is great to just walk along... lots of restaurants, bars, shops, etc. There are fountains all along the sidewalks throwing off steam because they're fed by hot spring water. HD's were EVERYWHERE. I think I saw a few hundred hogs while there, and maybe a dozen sportbikes. Quite different then here, where I notice about an even mix. I thought the windy roads up there would attract more sportbikes, but I guess that's not the case.

We ended up staying at a nice historic-looking hotel called the Arlington. It was a neat place... the suites are named for the various notables who stayed there. We saw the Reagan Suite and the Capone Suite... I wanted to go check out what existed on the other floors, but never got around to it. The hot tub up by the pool is fed by hot spring water, so you don't smell all chlorinated when you get out. And the bath experience was something else... I've never felt as much like an overcooked spaghetti noodle as I did when I stepped out of that tub.

The Arlington

Steaming Fountains

Cascade Spring

When we pulled into the garage, we were the only bike there. The valets told us to go park up against a wall near the corner. When we came out the next morning, we were surrounded by 15+ HDs.. had to thread my way out. Nice photo op though...

We headed out of Hot Springs Sunday morning, through Murfreesboro, Nashville, Texarkana, Linden, Gilmer, to Addison to pick up Vic's car, and back to FW. While crossing Lake Tawakoni, just outside DFW, I noticed a cop behind me. As soon as we got off the causeway, the lights came on. Doh! 61 in a 50. The cop was cool and let us skate with a warning, though. I didn't mention to him the 800 miles of 80 in 50s that we had done over the past 3 days. :grin:

Finally made it home at about 4PM, after 912 miles, no tickets, crashes, rain, or anything else bad except for a pair of somewhat sore butts. Definitely a fun trip. Next time I think I want to head south--San Antonio and 335/6/7. Gotta get planning...

Home!
Kegan "Glowstick"
'12 MTS1200ST - '15 CB500F - AFM #895 - AMA #3283468 - IBA #41999

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 0

Post by dufremle » Tue May 08, 2007 1:17 pm

Nice. :grin:

You had a lot more fun than we did. Stupid rain.

And Yamha's. :-o
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

beercap

Post by beercap » Tue May 08, 2007 1:18 pm

Nice pictures Kegan! got yourself an adventurous sweetheart,
sounds like ya'll enjoyed it.

Ride on bud :neutral:
Beercap
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/9436/twins1zv7.gif[/img][/url][url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/9751/opusfinalgf2.gif[/img][/url]

digi

Post by digi » Tue May 08, 2007 1:36 pm

Awesome!

Glad you had a good time!
The meaning of life is good sex and a fast motorcycle. I would combine the two, but I would end up wheelie-ing the girl and spooging on my bike.

Aviconus
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider

Post by Aviconus » Tue May 08, 2007 2:05 pm

sounds like you guys had a blast. wish my "wife" or what ever you would like to call her, would have been the adventurous type. thats how i am always on the move.
IM ALWAYS LOOKING TO RIDE PM ME

[img]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/Aviconus/Family%20Pics/Angel.jpg[/img]

R.I.P. "Angel" some dick couldnt afford you legit so they stole you.

Edmond_Dantes

Post by Edmond_Dantes » Tue May 08, 2007 4:42 pm

Great trip! I've been looking to do something like that. Do you still have the route?
1990 ZG1000 Concours
"...They will find the streets are guarded by United States Marines"

sckego
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 49

Post by sckego » Tue May 08, 2007 5:20 pm

Edmond_Dantes wrote:Great trip! I've been looking to do something like that. Do you still have the route?
Absolutely :D

Route!

The tough part is getting out away from DFW. Once we were past Paris, 195 was pretty nice... the road north into Oklahoma was a bit flat and straight, but eventualy got decently windy. Once into Arkansas, I think its tough to go wrong. If we had a bit more time I would've wanted to get a bit farther north and ride Mount Magazine (309, north of Havana). The roads were great all the way to Hot Springs, then down to 30, but once you get that far, it starts sucking again. Even sticking to the lesser highways, its still mile after mile of straights linked by 55- and 60- mph curves. Still better then the freeways, though...
Kegan "Glowstick"
'12 MTS1200ST - '15 CB500F - AFM #895 - AMA #3283468 - IBA #41999

doughboy

Post by doughboy » Tue May 08, 2007 7:06 pm

Kegan nice pick of wife and you. Looks like you guys had a blast. Glad you made it there and back with no mishaps.
Last edited by doughboy on Tue May 08, 2007 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value!

Bird

Post by Bird » Tue May 08, 2007 7:40 pm

Kegan, You should have let us know you were going ... we could have given you some awesome roads in that area. When in Hot Springs, be SURE to catch the mountain in the middle of town. The roads up to the top are SHARP and fun. It's hard to believe that Arkansas has SO MANY wonderful roads, even in the middle of town! :grin:

You're right, it's hard to go wrong ANYWHERE in Arkansas, but we found a stretch last year that was really spookey! :-) The 'store' we stopped at for gas had pumps outside that you had to reach into to turn on and the lady taking money chased Terry outside with a fly swatter. :D Across the street was an old building that looked PERFECT for 'The Arkansas Chain Saw Masacre' movie. The area was so 'out back' that we heard banjo music playing Dualing Banjos for about 50 miles.. Trust me, NOBODY wanted to break down out there.

Glad you enjoyed the trip and it IS awesome country with roads that just go on and on with perfect surface and miles of twisties. We try to do an annual trip up there for 3-4 days. It's becoming the trip that everyone looks forward to.
Mike
It SUCKS to get old ... it sucks even MORE to realize it! Live for the moment every chance you get.

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Tue May 08, 2007 7:50 pm

Bird

Post by Bird » Tue May 08, 2007 9:14 pm

OK, So I admit, I've been kind of preoccupied and busy the last month or two. :-)
Mike
It SUCKS to get old ... it sucks even MORE to realize it! Live for the moment every chance you get.