1.3 or 1.7 MSRC?

This is the general Discussion area used for....General Discussions. Talk anything here just keep it clean and no spam.
WickerMan
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 1

1.3 or 1.7 MSRC?

Post by WickerMan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:04 pm

I'm going to be on the Ninja this season and I'm getting my calendar set. Can someone recommend the 1.3 or 1.7 for a first track day on this much more powerful machine and why?
What is up with this space?
2015 ZX-6R 30th Anniversary
2014 CBR500R HRC
2007 Ruckus winter camo

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Re: 1.3 or 1.7 MSRC?

Post by DarcShadow » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:41 pm

How much track riding have you done? Have you done the 1.3 before?

The 1.3 is significantly more work and will wear your ass out quickly. There is no "rest" point on the track, you're constantly turning. I love the track for that reason, but many hate it for the same. Most also hate riding anything bigger than a 600 on the 1.3, and some will argue a 600 is still to big.

The 1.7 is much more open and allows you to get up some good speed. Liter bikes handle well on this track and the straights a long enough to really hammer it. The 1.7 is good for 600s as well it's a good overall track. Easy enough to not scare you off, but technical enough to keep you coming back.

Both tracks are fun and you shouldn't have any issues with the new bike on either. Also, a lot of people will get a new bike then drop to a lower level for their first track day on the new bike. I would advise against doing that. If you're a level 2 rider on your old bike, you'll still be a level 2 rider on your new bike.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

WickerMan
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 1

Re: 1.3 or 1.7 MSRC?

Post by WickerMan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:41 am

DarcShadow wrote:How much track riding have you done? Have you done the 1.3 before?

The 1.3 is significantly more work and will wear your ass out quickly. There is no "rest" point on the track, you're constantly turning. I love the track for that reason, but many hate it for the same. Most also hate riding anything bigger than a 600 on the 1.3, and some will argue a 600 is still to big.

The 1.7 is much more open and allows you to get up some good speed. Liter bikes handle well on this track and the straights a long enough to really hammer it. The 1.7 is good for 600s as well it's a good overall track. Easy enough to not scare you off, but technical enough to keep you coming back.

Both tracks are fun and you shouldn't have any issues with the new bike on either. Also, a lot of people will get a new bike then drop to a lower level for their first track day on the new bike. I would advise against doing that. If you're a level 2 rider on your old bike, you'll still be a level 2 rider on your new bike.
I'm probably 7-8 track days so far, this is my 3rd season. I've only done the 1.3 twice, so most of my experience is on the 1.7. I like the lower speeds of the 1.3, but you are right there is no rest/regroup on it. So I think I will do the 1.7. I'm level 1 still so I'll be level 1 this season too. I'm just going to take it easy and use my low power mode and traction control and ease into it. Thanks for the thoughts Matt
What is up with this space?
2015 ZX-6R 30th Anniversary
2014 CBR500R HRC
2007 Ruckus winter camo