KLR Flat tire procedure

This is the general Discussion area used for....General Discussions. Talk anything here just keep it clean and no spam.
fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

KLR Flat tire procedure

Post by fixxervi6 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:23 pm

Step 1. pull out of the road so you don't impede other vehicles
Step 2. unload all the heavy crap
Step 3. dig through your stuff and find all the most valuable items
Step 4. remove your license plate
Step 5. start walking

Jesus fucking christ

That's all I have to say about KLR tire changing right now.
K1600

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 0

Re: KLR Flat tire procedure

Post by dufremle » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:44 pm

Haha
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

Tooner
Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider

Post by Tooner » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:59 am

fixxervi6 wrote:Step 1. pull out of the road so you don't impede other vehicles
Step 5. start walking

Jesus fucking christ

:SideSplittingLaughter: hope it's not too soon, I didn't realize how much simpler the CBR1000rr flat tire procedure was a couple weeks ago....

I've had just 2 flats over the last 4 years, luckily neither was a fast or immediate loss of pressure and luckily both were on the rear. Can the tire be patched, or is it a total loss?

FWIW, sorry, flat tires suck!
Shane
Current ride and track: 2009 CBR 1000rr
2018 crf450r

fartymarty
Achievement count: 17

Post by fartymarty » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:55 pm

fixxervi6 wrote:Step 1. pull out of the road so you don't impede other vehicles
Step 5. start walking

Jesus fucking christ

Now that's funny right there! :SideSplittingLaughter:

You sound like me when I saw what had to done on my DR650 just to get the seat off. My other bikes either have a hinged seat
or it just lifts off with a keyed release latch. The DR has to have the side panels and screws removed and then two bolts unfastened.
Probably why DRs and KLRs are referred to as beater bikes and throw away bikes by those that don't worship them.

So did you actually have a flat on the road, or are you just going through the procedure in preparation for your trip?

I've only had one flat on the DR, it was in Big Bend Ranch State Park. Another DR was with me so we used the side stand on it to break the
bead on my rear wheel and pulled the tube out part way to patch it. We had spare tubes, but we were tired after a long day and just wanted
to get back to Presidio. The patch held but we must have pinched the tube getting it back in because in another 5 miles it was flat again.
This time the tube was unpatchable, probably because I rode it slow a bit flat before we stopped. At that point we were close enough to pavement
that I sat with the bike while my co-rider rode off to fetch the trailer. We had the tools to change the tube but it was hot, we were old and tired so we
woosed out and did it the next morning in the motel parking lot. That is when I decided that on the next trip I was going to try the Ride ON tire sealant.
That's the only advantage of tubed tires I can think of, if it's full of sealant that you end up hating you can just toss the tube and start over. No I haven't
installed it yet, as I haven't gone on a Dual Sport trip since that one, so I have no experience to report on. The sealant is still on the shelf.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:16 pm

The KLR needs new shoes so I figured why not test out the new tools and simulate a field problem.

I ended up using a combination of jig saw, diagonal cutters and a dremel to get the old tire off so things started off pretty badly for the "field kit"

I chewed up the bead hard core on the new tire getting it on, just to discover a couple of things:
1. I didn't get the tube in just right and I didn't use enough baby powder so the entire wheel needs broken down again to fix the tube
2. I lost the seal to one of my bearings, so while wrestling with it in the dirt for a few hours I managed to grind in an insane amount of sand so now the bearing sounds like a rock tumbler.

Anyone know a shop that can put in new wheel bearings fairly quickly without charging a ridiculous amount?
K1600

SputnikSam
Club Member
Club Member

Post by SputnikSam » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:43 am

fixxervi6 wrote:The KLR needs new shoes so I figured why not test out the new tools and simulate a field problem.

I ended up using a combination of jig saw, diagonal cutters and a dremel to get the old tire off so things started off pretty badly for the "field kit"

I chewed up the bead hard core on the new tire getting it on, just to discover a couple of things:
1. I didn't get the tube in just right and I didn't use enough baby powder so the entire wheel needs broken down again to fix the tube
2. I lost the seal to one of my bearings, so while wrestling with it in the dirt for a few hours I managed to grind in an insane amount of sand so now the bearing sounds like a rock tumbler.

Anyone know a shop that can put in new wheel bearings fairly quickly without charging a ridiculous amount?
Metric Garage up here in Argyle. Brandon does good work, but he's been busy lately. You may want to call him up and check.

Address: 4050 Trey Ln d, Argyle, TX 76226
Phone: (972) 849-6351
https://www.facebook.com/metricgarage/
-Sam

2019 Suzuki GSXR 750
2017 Yamaha WR250R
2009 Subaru WRX
2013 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
2014 Triumph Daytona 675R (RIP)
2013 Triumph Street Triple R (sold)