Utah and Big Bend and stuff

This is the general Discussion area used for....General Discussions. Talk anything here just keep it clean and no spam.
fartymarty
Achievement count: 17

Re: Utah and Big Bend and stuff

Post by fartymarty » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:37 pm

dufremle wrote:Hey Marty. I did Old Ore Road last September. It was fun, but I didn't think it was that difficult......
We had a hard time getting past the rocky, uphill section (we went South to North). I wouldn't hesitate to do Old Ore again. I won't do Black Gap again. Unless I'm riding in a Jeep. :D
Well OK, yeah but it looks like you got stuck on Old Ore, eh? I'll bet you didn't get stuck on Black Gap..anyway, ......I also had problems with that long uphill section on Black Gap. I'd do Maverick or Old Ore almost anytime except after a rain. Fun roads the both of them. Glen Springs is OK, sorta. I found River road to be somewhat monotonous and boring. I once tried to go into Juniper Canyon but I hit a lot of sand at the beginning, so I turned around and never went back.I did Old Ore for the first time going north to south on a Honda Trail 90 (up graded to 125cc) and it was a long haul. Went back a few years later on a 650 and did it in about a third of the time that it took on the Trail 90.
dufremle wrote: The remote camping wasn't bad.
Like I said, you all are a lot tougher than me. :grin:
I'll remote camp out of a car, but not out of a bike. I need to many comforts.
Hats off to you guys!

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 0

Re: Utah and Big Bend and stuff

Post by dufremle » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:32 am

Ya, I buried the bike on Old Ore. I blame it on lack of experience on that type of terrain. I missed the crossover point and ended up in a washed out area. I still think Old Ore was easier than Black Gap. I would say Black Gap was more technical than Old Ore. I would not do any of those roads after a rain. Although it did rain the morning we did Old Ore, but it was mostly dry by the time we went down it. Only the deep ruts in the road surface had some puddled water, and I did go down in one. :RedFacedCurses:
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner