Mini supermoto build thread

This is the general Discussion area used for....General Discussions. Talk anything here just keep it clean and no spam.
milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:05 pm

No, to keep cost down I will be using the yz85 hubs and should be able to use the spokes as well. I still have to find a 3.5x17 rim, cheapest I've seen that matches is $200. Trying to find a used one in a 32hole.

Also keep your eyes out for a GP125 tire and I guess the best 120 70 17" slick you can find(use is cool with me). Not really sure what slick I should use. I will be running warmers most likely...
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

Stardog
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 21

Re: Mini supermoto build thread

Post by Stardog » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:32 pm

Any risk involved with running a roadracing front tire on the drive end of the bike? I think that Thomas is selling a lot of used 120 slicks. I have at least one DOT race tire in that size with some use left that I'm probably not going to run. Free.
DR650
Have cool, will travel

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:55 pm

No, not any risk, although you do have to run the tire backwards. I'll PM y'all here in a bit once I get some more feedback...Thomas/Shaun?

Basically without really know ing what track how do I decide what tire to run? Just the best slick I can get my hands on??
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles

Stardog

Post by Stardog » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:58 pm

Well a lot of people flip tires, slick and DOT to get more life out of them. So if you can run it then you can run it either direction.
DR650
Have cool, will travel

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:00 pm

I'll sell you my old worn out tires, they are pretty slick and they will be cheap
K1600

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:02 pm

fixxervi6 wrote:I'll sell you my old worn out tires, they are pretty slick and they will be cheap
i don't want your used rubbers
The world needs Miles

Striple
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Expert
Achievement count: 42

Post by Striple » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:19 am

Yeah, flipping the tires is common practice. With most slicks, this is inconsequential, as long as the tire is not asymmetrical (Dunlop has some that are). The same is largely true for DOTs, except in wet conditions, when the directionality of the grooves becomes relevant for water displacement.
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:16 am

Other than the GP125(let me know if you run across one), what tire would you recommend for the rear? I'm open to running warmers if needed.
The world needs Miles

Striple
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Expert

Post by Striple » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:59 am

That depends a bit on what you're intending to use it for. You said you're going to ride it on the track, and by that I'm guessing short tracks, like the 1.3-mile track at MSR or possibly some of the TMGPS tracks? If you want to maximize longevity while still having good traction, I would perhaps consider the Pirelli Diablo Superbike Pro slick. Its a track day slick that you can run with or without warmers, and--once heated--it produces a grip that is about 70% of that of a full race tire. When it slides, it does it progressively and predictably. On that kind of bike, it is going to last you a LONG time. For reference, we completed an 8-hour (!) endurance race on one set of those tires, and that was on a 636.

Otherwise, (if you're looking for used tires) I have some race takeoffs (both DOTs and slicks) available. These are the full race tires, NOT the track day tires (although I may have one of those lying around somewhere as well), so you should use warmers for them (especially for the slicks).
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:10 am

Sweet. I'm pretty sure I'll be using warmers since the front will have to have it from what I understand. I'm not worried about longevity at all. Simply put, I want the best tire for going fast.
The world needs Miles

Rhino
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:09 pm

Then you want knobbies. Shortest path from the start to the finish is across the grass.

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:51 pm

Cool thing is it will also have dirt wheels to switch out.

Just took it to get powder coated. Was going with a purple for the frame, but the colors I was wanting double the price. Ended up getting it in all gloss black. I'll post pictures when I get it back.
The world needs Miles

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Track Instructor

Post by shilka99 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:58 pm

Keep in mind that the tires we're talking about are designed for much heavier bikes. Do you know how much your mini will weigh when its ready to run? I'm sure it will be under 200 lbs, could it be in the 150lb range? With my VOR supermoto (slightly over 210lbs) I felt the same way you did so I used DOT race tires and they NEVER warmed up. I did some seriously aggressive canyon rides with AFM racers and after each one the tires looked like they had gone around the block a few times. The light weight bike never got the tires up to temperature no matter what pressures I used.

With that experience in mind, my KTM supermoto is in the same situation. On the front it has the same pirelli track day tire Thomas mentioned above and its great. With the right pressure I can push that tire as hard as I'm able and it never squirms, never lets me know its reaching its limits. But on the rear I use a $90 Shinko slick and again, it has never come loose, even though Level 3 riders can't catch me on the Cresson 1.3 track on 600's and literbikes

But I used a set of the Pirelli Pro slicks on the RSV4 a few weeks ago and was so shocked at the lack of grip I thought I had a flat. The rear was sliding all over the place under even slight acceleration. I felt an instant away from a high side throughout each session. I had friends ask me what was wrong - I told them the tires I was using and they would say "well thats the problem right there."
I experimented with pressures all the way from 21 to 30 and nothing helped. It made me so paranoid I started experimenting with shock settings but nothing helped. I took them off saturday night and installed a pair of michelin slicks. When Alan asked me what I wanted to do with the pirellis I told him to throw them in the trash even though they had 90% life left in them.

It all comes down to weight. These pirelli track day tires aren't up to the task of the heavyweight RSV4 at Level3 pace, but on the lightweight KTM (<200lbs) they are fantastic. For your little mini, spending money on premium race rubber isn't necessary. Look at what the ninja 250 racers are using and you'll find some great options.
Shaun in McKinney
RGV250|520SX/SMR|RSV4 Factory

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:39 pm

Cool, haven't even thought about that
The world needs Miles

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:03 pm

I got the frame back from coating. I was absolutely shocked at how well it turned out. Only thing i'm mad about is i asked them to sandblast everything. When i got back the swing arm the word "yamaha" was raised up with the coating over it. It's weird because i thought they couldn't coat over a sticker, but apparently they didn't sandblast it??? I called the guy and he said he was happy to make it right at his cost. I'm not sure how i should handle this since i don't think they sand blasted it. How does it stick to the frame if you have a sticker!?!?!!!
The world needs Miles

Rhino
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:12 am

I would let them fix it, you don't want the stuff on the sticker coming off.

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:08 am

Yea i thought the same thing and while this isn't a "show bike" i've put a lot of time into it already and want it to look somewhat good. It would bother me like crazy to see the "yamaha" logo in the sun and just makes it look like i didn't care.
The world needs Miles

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:02 am

For shame
K1600

Stardog

Post by Stardog » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:27 pm

Pics!
DR650
Have cool, will travel

LonestarCBR
Achievement count: 32

Post by LonestarCBR » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:00 pm

milesmiles wrote:Yea i thought the same thing and while this isn't a "show bike" i've put a lot of time into it already and want it to look somewhat good. It would bother me like crazy to see the "yamaha" logo in the sun and just makes it look like i didn't care.
Miles, reaching to attain the Triumph level of aesthetic excellence is going to be difficult on a privateer budget. Don't sweat it too much.
~ Terry
'12 Speed Triple 1050 ABS, '07 GSX-R750 (track)
Happiness isn't around the corner, it IS the corner.
Anybody can jump a motorcycle. The trouble begins when you try to land it. EK

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:19 pm

Oddly enough this bike is super far from done, but in better shape than my triumph. In the last year a lot of small incidents have happened in my garage that involved the triumph.
The world needs Miles

LonestarCBR
Achievement count: 32

Post by LonestarCBR » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:36 pm

The Triumph and alcohol?
~ Terry
'12 Speed Triple 1050 ABS, '07 GSX-R750 (track)
Happiness isn't around the corner, it IS the corner.
Anybody can jump a motorcycle. The trouble begins when you try to land it. EK

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:45 pm

Oddly no. The triumph had a run it with two other bikes on two separate occasions. None of which the triumph was moving
The world needs Miles

Stardog

Post by Stardog » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:22 pm

milesmiles wrote:i'll post pics when i get it somewhat put back together
It is a build thread not a built thread. Post pics of the powder coating. I am coming over as soon as the sore throat that I am dealing with clears up. You can either post good pics or I will post shitty clandestine ones in a week.
DR650
Have cool, will travel

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:08 am

ImageImage
The world needs Miles