Suspension novice

Tooner
Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider

Suspension novice

Post by Tooner » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:18 pm

Not surprised, maybe just a little disappointed. Rant Warning! I should have done a more thorough inspection of the new bike before I took it out but somehow I just want to trust people to do a half decent job, well.... The day after the break-in ride of my week old 2018 crf450r I get down to some serious suspension tweaking(serious for me means novice level) The only thing so far that has been "non-reassuring is that the right fork was one click out and the left fork was 13 clicks out. WTF? Now that I think of it I was a bit annoyed when I first got the bike home and checked the oil to find that the level was at the very tip of the dipstick beneath the low mark! OMG people! :-o The bike takes 1.1 qts, are they that cheap that they didn't open a second quart for the .1 needed for the correct amount? I thought they used bulk oil anyway. I am loving my decision to not waste $250 dollars on that post break-in dealership oil change! Now to take a look at the rear suspension....
Shane
Current ride and track: 2009 CBR 1000rr
2018 crf450r

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Re: Suspension novice

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:45 am

sometimes compression is on one fork and rebound is on the other (Telo's 750 is that way) so 1 click one fork and 13 on the other may not be "wrong"
K1600

Tooner
Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider

Re: Suspension novice

Post by Tooner » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:51 pm

fixxervi6 wrote:sometimes compression is on one fork and rebound is on the other (Telo's 750 is that way) so 1 click one fork and 13 on the other may not be "wrong"
ya it's a crazy world out there in suspension, seems like the more I learn, the less I know. I have heard of the setup like Telo's 750, and my CBR has rebound damping on the top of both forks with compression damping down by the axle on both forks according to the service manual. In fact, when I was adjusting the suspension while out riding Saturday I thought the CRF was the same as the CBR, so instead of going two clicks out on what I thought was the compression I was actually softening up the rebound! :HeadScratch: So I was a bit confused yesterday when the CRF manual showed the opposite set up, compression adjusters up and the rebound adjusters down? Now that I have both front and rear, compression and rebound set to factory default I wonder If I will even feel a difference?
Shane
Current ride and track: 2009 CBR 1000rr
2018 crf450r