Tire Issue

sauter0966
Achievement count: 0

Tire Issue

Post by sauter0966 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:10 pm

I picked up a screw :-o Last night :,(. I was wandering where to buy new tires (it is the rear tire and I figured that I would not want to just pach it.) any advice, Place to buy, type to buy, price range ect.

I am riding a SV650S all stock so far.

Thank you in advance for all your help
~Sauter
:icon_woohoo:

Meat of Snail

Re: Tire Issue

Post by Meat of Snail » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:28 pm

Cycle Werkz can get you the best price (Let them know you are with Fort Worth Motorcycle Riders, we get a little discount) and will typically have to order the tires (they usually get them in the next day).

For an added bonus (costs a little more), you can get tires from Cycle Gear and ask for the Tire Warrantee with your purchase. They have a deal that cost extra but if you get a flat but have not used much of the tread of the tire, they will either change the tire at their cost or pro rate you a new tire based on the tread wear.

as for what tire to use, that really depends on your riding skills, abilities, comfort levels, and how much you are willing to spend. This type of discussion is easiest to talk through in person, as it has typically become a full thread on the boards in the past. I have been running Michelins for quite some time, if you are interested in Michelin as a brand and want input on their line, I would be more than happy to help. I will tend to steer people to a tire that matches their performance skill, but if you are more interested in something that will be used as a commuter and you want that extra life out of the tire, there are several others on the boards that are more knowledgeable about the sport/touring type tires.
Meat of Snail ==> AKA: Snail Meat
Bike: ZX-10R 2007 Special Edition
IBA# 41998

sckego
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 49

Post by sckego » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:50 pm

You can find some pretty good deals online, but you usually have to wait for them to pop up. If you need a new tire now (and it sounds like you do), I'd recommend Cyclewerkz... good prices for both the tire and mounting.

As for the type, like MoS said, it really depends on your riding style. In general...

Normal sporty street riding / commuting: Sport touring tire like the Metzler Roadtec Z6, Michelin Pilot Road or Pilot Road 2, Pirelli Diablo Strada, etc...
Faster sport riding / L1-L2 trackdays: Sport tire like the Metz M3, Michelin Pilot Power / PP2CT, Pirelli Diablo / Corsas...
Crazyfast race-level riding: Road-legal race tires like the Michelin Power Ones or Pirelli Supercorsas
Kegan "Glowstick"
'12 MTS1200ST - '15 CB500F - AFM #895 - AMA #3283468 - IBA #41999

Meat of Snail

Post by Meat of Snail » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:12 pm

sckego wrote:You can find some pretty good deals online, but you usually have to wait for them to pop up. If you need a new tire now (and it sounds like you do), I'd recommend Cyclewerkz... good prices for both the tire and mounting.

As for the type, like MoS said, it really depends on your riding style. In general...

Normal sporty street riding / commuting: Sport touring tire like the Metzler Roadtec Z6, Michelin Pilot Road or Pilot Road 2, Pirelli Diablo Strada, etc...
Faster sport riding / L1-L2 trackdays: Sport tire like the Metz M3, Michelin Pilot Power / PP2CT, Pirelli Diablo / Corsas...
Crazyfast race-level riding: Road-legal race tires like the Michelin Power Ones or Pirelli Supercorsas

:plus1: Way to go sckego, that is one of the best tire bracketing write ups I have seen.
If your riding style fits well in one of these catagories and you pick a tire in that bracket, you can't go wrong.
IBA# 41998

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:38 pm

cyclewerkz for the win!

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:41 pm

unF!
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

sauter0966

Post by sauter0966 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:02 pm

Ok I am thinking the Michelin Pilot Power 2ct, but for now I am going to try and find some one/ some place to do a patch so that I can still ride and practice while I save up- I have gotten both sides about the patch (good and bad). as for my current riding lvl being a new-b and all I dont think I will put to much stress on the patched tire, Any thoughts on this?

Meat of Snail

Post by Meat of Snail » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:29 pm

if you are a fairly new rider, I expect you will not get the full potential out of the 2CT, I would suggest the regular Pilot Power in this case and save the money. Other than the very edge of the tire having a softer compound (most beginner riders will not use this section of the tire for quite some time), the 2CT and the Pilot Power are basically the same.

I do not suggest patching it, but if you do plan to get the tire patched, only use the type of patch that covers/seals the hole on the inside of the tire, do not use any patches that go "through" the hole. Patches that go through the hole will deform the belts (structural portions) in the tire, you do not want to put localized stresses on your tires like this.
Last edited by Meat of Snail on Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
IBA# 41998

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:54 pm

I agree with Snailmeat on the Pilot Power. They are the same tire, except the 2CT has a soft compound on the edge, that quite frankly, you really won't be touching yet. You've got a lot of practice first before working up to it. You go out and try before you have the practice and experience to be smooth in everything you do, you'll wind up in the ditch with a busted bike and more than likely busted you.

I also personally wouldn't recommend a patch... I know some people have gone that route with success, but most often it's just not worth it. There's a reason most places won't patch motorcycle tires...
ImageImageImage

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:16 am

you will find it difficult to locate a place that will patch a high speed rated tire.

Meat of Snail

Post by Meat of Snail » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:40 am

agreed, and if you do find somewere that is willing to patch the tire for you, first compare their full price to what a new tire mounted from Cycle Werkz would cost. i.e. I have heard of a dealership patching a tire recently and charging ~$90 for the patch/work, for a little more than that a new tire could have been installed as a replacment.
IBA# 41998

sauter0966

Post by sauter0966 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:05 am

So with the Pilot Power should I change the back and the front? What am I looking for on price I saw some online about 200 for the set but that is not mounted. I am going to run over to cyclewerkz today and see there prices.

Thanks again for the help.

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:10 am

I personally like to have both the front and rear changed if I'm changing tire types / brands, but you don't have to. Normally I'll go through 2-3 rear tires to one front tire.
ImageImageImage

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:44 am

I've had different brands on from and rear, and it doesnt bother me at all. I dont ride aggressively like firwa11 though.

Meat of Snail

Post by Meat of Snail » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:24 am

same make and model tire front and rear is the best way to go. $200 for both front and rear sounds to be a pretty decent deal, you should go to Cycle Werkz and see if they can beat or meet that price. Keep in mind, tire mounting fees are cheaper if you take the wheels off yourself and bring them to the shop off the bike. When doing that, shops can tend to squeeze you into thier schedules (if they are busy at the time) getting you in and out realatively quickly.
IBA# 41998

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:17 pm

Yeah that's a good price for around $200, and you're better off going to CycleWerkz for tire mounting as well... they charge $60 for both tires on-bike, and off-bike at CycleGear I paid $20 + $5.99 PER valve stem, then another $5.99 PER tire for disposal fee. So it was actually MORE expensive to have CycleGear mount them off-bike.
ImageImageImage

Meat of Snail

Post by Meat of Snail » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:54 pm

as for Cycle Werkz with the wheels off-bike, they can usually get the mantinance fee down to about $20 per wheel (~$40 total)
IBA# 41998

U-Turn
Achievement count: 31

Post by U-Turn » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:01 pm

Sauter0966 wrote:I picked up a screw :-o Last night :,(. I was wandering where to buy new tires (it is the rear tire and I figured that I would not want to just pach it.) any advice, Place to buy, type to buy, price range ect.

I am riding a SV650S all stock so far.

Thank you in advance for all your help
~Sauter
--------------
Depends on the hole - where it is and how big. Since your new and not pushing things - patch it and check your pressures often. It's not like the tire is going to explode while your going down the road.
Different tires on front and back don't make that much of a difference as long as they are the same size.
Sitting on the couch, watching TV, isn't living.
Triumph 955

txt 8..223.0762 to ride.
-

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:43 pm

KC817 wrote:Different tires on front and back don't make that much of a difference as long as they are the same size.
That'd make a huge difference "if they were the same size" :mad:
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

U-Turn

Post by U-Turn » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:55 pm

Well, yea. I suppose of you put a 120/70 on the back AND front, then yea you got problems.
And I suppose if you put a Harley Tire on the front and a Pure One on the back you won't make it thru many turns very fast.
-
Wouldn't it be interesting if T-George put two 190's on the back of the beast?
-
Hey, I know what I'm talking about. :evil:
Triumph 955

txt 8..223.0762 to ride.
-

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:07 pm

KC817 wrote:Different tires on front and back don't make that much of a difference as long as they are the same size.
I disagree with this statement. Each tire model is designed to complement front and rear tires, not only with shape and tread pattern, but also composition. Even if you run the same tire manufacturer different models are different, for example a regular Pilot Power in the front and a Pilot Power 2CT in the rear will not give you the same performance of having both PP2CT's front and rear. I've read a few articles now on how tread design is made to work together both front and rear. It's not just something tire manufacturers are blowing smoke about to get you to buy both tires.

However, does it make that much of a difference on the street if you're not using the last 1-2 inches at the edge of the tire? Probably not.
ImageImageImage

U-Turn

Post by U-Turn » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:15 am

Firewa11 wrote: However, does it make that much of a difference on the street if you're not using the last 1-2 inches at the edge of the tire? Probably not.
What I ment was, that even if your front tire is, say a Michelin sport tire, and the back is a Dunlop sport tire, it doesn't matter that much. Now if we were talking about racing or more "stressful" riding I wouldnt mix em up.
-
In the context of this thread, Sauter has a hole in his back tire. I advise, depending on where the hole is ( from what I've been told) if the hole is in the middle of a tire, plug it and ride on.
Sauter wondered about replacing 1 tire vs both. I advise buy 1 if a plugged tire is too scary and it doesn't necessarily need to be a matched tire.
I had replaced both tires on mine ~ 800 miles later I cut the rear tire. We tried to plug it but the hole was too little and the plug kit we had wouldn't do it. I rode on the flat to town and was able to buy another rear. The dealership wouldn't plug it. Now I was over a barrell and had no choice but to do what they wanted. I wound up with a Pilot Power on the front and a SportMax on the back. By my seat-of-the-pants feel, I had more confidence with that setup than I have with any other tires I've ridden. I won't strive to put miss-matched tires on again though. Logic tells me that's not wise.
Triumph 955

txt 8..223.0762 to ride.
-

sauter0966

Post by sauter0966 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:30 am

Ok got the PP online for around 130$ less then in town, Double checked the tire age thanks all for that tip, for the guys who ride the pp2ct the combo is 220 right now with free shipping just throwing that out there. Here is the site http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/cat ... re-Combos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mattjmartin

Post by mattjmartin » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:13 pm

Sauter0966 wrote:Ok got the PP online for around 130$ less then in town, Double checked the tire age thanks all for that tip, for the guys who ride the pp2ct the combo is 220 right now with free shipping just throwing that out there. Here is the site http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/cat ... re-Combos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nice deal. Where you gonna get it mounted? I would definitely suggest CycleWerkz, only based on my experience with people at CycleGear mounting tires.
- Matt
- 2004 FZ6
"If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space."

sauter0966

Post by sauter0966 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:02 pm

I was planning on CycleWerkz, so far I have only heard good things about them