Scheduled Maintenance - The big one. - Advice needed

WillK675
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 35

Scheduled Maintenance - The big one. - Advice needed

Post by WillK675 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:41 pm

First off, let me preface with; I've done my research first.

So my bike is do for what's considered the "the big one" in it's schedule maintenance. Well actually it's past due. The 12k is the one that's considered the big one and i'm at 15k. So I've gone thru the scheduled Mainteance chart looking at the 12k and 18k lists and here is what I've got.

Valve Clearances - check*
Spark Plugs - renew*
Throttle bodies - balance ***
Headstock bearings - check/adjust*
Headstock bearings - Lubricate*
Forks - check*
Rear wheel bearing - lubricate*

Those are the big ones there are other small standard things I left off.
* = 12k
** = 18k
*** = 12k + 18k

The really big thing on that list that has me is the Valve Clearances check and adjust if needed. This is because I had a short ride yesterday and didn't wear my earplugs. I noticed a slight ticking noise on the top end of the engine when I was in the 6k+ rpm range, that just didn't sound normal to me. The noise is in sync with the engine, and she is performing great. Also, the noise isn't very loud as I can't hear it with my earplugs in. My first guess on the noise was the valves, since I knew I was getting close to that maintenance period.

So with that in mind, now I'm to the advice portion...

Is the ticking noise something I should be concerned with, and does it sound like valves, or seeing that I need to do plugs does it sound like it could be the plugs?

Keeping your answer to the above in mind: With the valves needing checked / possibly adjusted, is this something I should just spend the money and have the shop do or check them myself? (I've found very good write-ups/instructions on how to check them. I also have the maintenance manual)

If I were to check the valves myself; is there anyone that's done this before, who wouldn't mind giving me a hand one day to do all the listed maintenance (the weekend following bike night, I'm busy this weekend)?

Thanks in advance for all the help! :icon_thumbsup:

Oh, and if I end up doing any of this myself, and someone helps there will be some booze provided. And who knows maybe some groceries to be burned when were done. :D
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

Blizzard_1708

Re: Scheduled Maintenance - The big one. - Advice needed

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:51 pm

I would say have Cyclewerkz check your valve clearance, but I guess they wont check them for your new fandangled Euro motor-bike

WillK675

Post by WillK675 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:04 pm

Blizzard_1708 wrote:I would say have Cyclewerkz check your valve clearance, but I guess they wont check them for your new fandangled Euro motor-bike
That's the direction I was leaning prior to posting this. Suggestions could push me in other directions. And I'm thinking, if I can catch Scott in a good mood, and can come up with any parts they can't order, that cyclewerkz would do the work. Really my main concern is the ticking noise, if I should be concerned about it, and possibly dropping a valve.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

mahart
Achievement count: 8

Post by mahart » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:24 pm

I talked to a guy with a Sprint regarding this. His sage advice is that valves that make noise are fine.

I'm going to be checking valves on the Sprint and the Bonnie soon, when it's colder. Apparently checking is no big deal, it's changing out the shims that involves real labor.
Revved up like a douche.

U-Turn
Achievement count: 31

Post by U-Turn » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:35 pm

WillK675 wrote:First off, let me preface with; I've done my research first.

So my bike is do for what's considered the "the big one" in it's schedule maintenance. Well actually it's past due. The 12k is the one that's considered the big one and i'm at 15k. So I've gone thru the scheduled Mainteance chart looking at the 12k and 18k lists and here is what I've got.

Valve Clearances - check*
Spark Plugs - renew*
Throttle bodies - balance ***
Headstock bearings - check/adjust*
Headstock bearings - Lubricate*
Forks - check*
Rear wheel bearing - lubricate*

Those are the big ones there are other small standard things I left off.
* = 12k
** = 18k
*** = 12k + 18k

The really big thing on that list that has me is the Valve Clearances check and adjust if needed. This is because I had a short ride yesterday and didn't wear my earplugs. I noticed a slight ticking noise on the top end of the engine when I was in the 6k+ rpm range, that just didn't sound normal to me. The noise is in sync with the engine, and she is performing great. Also, the noise isn't very loud as I can't hear it with my earplugs in. My first guess on the noise was the valves, since I knew I was getting close to that maintenance period.

So with that in mind, now I'm to the advice portion...

Is the ticking noise something I should be concerned with, and does it sound like valves, or seeing that I need to do plugs does it sound like it could be the plugs?

Keeping your answer to the above in mind: With the valves needing checked / possibly adjusted, is this something I should just spend the money and have the shop do or check them myself? (I've found very good write-ups/instructions on how to check them. I also have the maintenance manual)

If I were to check the valves myself; is there anyone that's done this before, who wouldn't mind giving me a hand one day to do all the listed maintenance (the weekend following bike night, I'm busy this weekend)?

Thanks in advance for all the help! :icon_thumbsup:

Oh, and if I end up doing any of this myself, and someone helps there will be some booze provided. And who knows maybe some groceries to be burned when were done. :D
-
Me too, but I need to do the 6K, 12K, 18K, 24K, 30K, 36K and 42K check.
-
And new seals/oil on the front forks.
-
Sitting on the couch, watching TV, isn't living.
Triumph 955

txt 8..223.0762 to ride.
-

mahart
Achievement count: 8

Post by mahart » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:39 am

Wow, we need a Triumph tech day.
Revved up like a douche.

Jenson

Post by Jenson » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:29 pm

Yeah, checking the valves is not hard and changing the shims SUCKS. ticking valves (rythmic and change along with rpm) are good because you know there is a clearance between the cam lobe and tappet. When your valve clearance becomes tight, then your valves don't close all the way and they can burn to to the exhaust gas blowbly. So I wouldn't worry about that. I have never messed with the brit bikes, but if you have a maintenance manual, bring it with you to bike night if you want. I will look it over and if I can find some time we can check them this weekend. also the headstock bearings are no big deal to check and adjust, plugs are no big deal. I've done all that crap on the honda before. Hope that helps. I'll be at bike night at 10 if you want any advice.
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That's why God created fast motorcycles, bubba." --Hunter S. Thompson
'02 F4i- Behold the awesome power of zip-ties.

Jenson

Post by Jenson » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:30 pm

The valve clearance should be checked asap. The last post was wordy. sorry.
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That's why God created fast motorcycles, bubba." --Hunter S. Thompson

Jenson

Post by Jenson » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:30 pm

Just looked at an online triumph manual. Shouldn't be a big deal to check valve clearance- pretty much the same as my honda. The time consuming part is taking off everything to get to it. after that it's easy

WillK675

Post by WillK675 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:05 am

Thanks for the advice. I'm taking her to the shop next week to have the valves checked. I'll be doing the rest myself over the next couple of weekends. I just have to get me a USB/ECU cable so that I can adjust the throttle bodies.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200

Grinner
Achievement count: 25

Post by Grinner » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:20 pm

WillK675 wrote:Thanks for the advice. I'm taking her to the shop next week to have the valves checked. I'll be doing the rest myself over the next couple of weekends. I just have to get me a USB/ECU cable so that I can adjust the throttle bodies.
see....another reason to ride an SV....you only need about a four inch piece of wire to adjust the throttlebodies (well, at least the TPS).
:D
Copper K3SV650S & K3SV1000S
Enjoy your Life...Don't Die Young Feeling Old When You Can Die Old Feeling Young!!
"Grinner is carrying the Black man-card, aka he has aquired enough man points his card is upgraded to the top teir." - fixxervi6

WillK675

Post by WillK675 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:35 pm

You only need a screwdriver to adjust the throttle bodies on my bike. But you have to be able to see the computer output on the tolerances to get them adjusted within spec.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200

U-Turn
Achievement count: 31

Post by U-Turn » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:13 pm

I have the cable.
I have downloaded the software.
I need modivation.
Sitting on the couch, watching TV, isn't living.
Triumph 955

txt 8..223.0762 to ride.
-

WillK675

Post by WillK675 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:58 pm

U-Turn wrote:I have the cable.
I have downloaded the software.
I need modivation.
Can I borrow the cable? Would you mind bringing it to bike night, so I can do mine. Then I'll know how to do it, and I can help you with yours.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200