bike leaking oil

armedandinsain
Achievement count: 26

bike leaking oil

Post by armedandinsain » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:04 pm

so I rode to work in dallas yesterday after walking into work I noticed my left boot was wet didnt think much of it at the time. after work I geared up and started the bike to let it warm up with-in maybe 4 sec after it kicked over I started to smell oil, looked down to see a very quickly growing pool of oil under the bike killed the bike ASAP and looked under the bike. she dumped by my guess about a qt of oil. I then had a buddy at work start the bike again with me looking under it to find where it was coming from, it looks like its spraying out from behind the water pump. anyone have any idea how hard it is to fix this / how much $$$ im looking at here?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways thoroughly used up, totally worn out and yelling at the top of your lungs "Holy Shit...What a ride!"

U-Turn
Achievement count: 31

Re: bike leaking oil

Post by U-Turn » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:55 pm

Sounds kinda like you blew a seal. :SideSplittingLaughter:
-
Find (researching the Internet) an exploded diagram of your engine and see what it could be. Did you change the oil recently or top it off?
-
Rev it up high before it was good and hot?
You have antifreeze in there?
Sitting on the couch, watching TV, isn't living.
Triumph 955

txt 8..223.0762 to ride.
-

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:18 pm

Sounds like a seal but also make sure it isnt a line from the oil cooler if you have one that is spraying down onto the waterpump and just looking like it is coming from the block..... Just try to make sure you know the exact location the oil is leaking from before getting worked up. Either way it shouldnt take a whole lot of $$ to fix as long as there is no internal damage done which it dont sound like there is.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

armedandinsain
Achievement count: 26

Post by armedandinsain » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:24 pm

I'm thinking seal as well it Had coolant in it oil was about 400 miles short of needing to be changed and I just hit the start button it took a sec to turn over but I fig that's cuz it was like 35 deg outside it didn't rev up like it does on warm days it just idled
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways thoroughly used up, totally worn out and yelling at the top of your lungs "Holy Shit...What a ride!"

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:38 pm

If you look through the oil level window ... is the oil milky looking? If so then it is going to take a little more work... headgasket probably.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:48 am

Yeah, it's pretty common for the water pump seal to go out. I haven't replaced one myself but I from what I hear it's not too bad. But as DemonDuck says, if the oil is really cloudy / milky looking, then you've got coolant mixing with your oil.
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

mattjmartin
Achievement count: 0

Post by mattjmartin » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:05 pm

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26 ... WATER_PUMP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Matt
- 2004 FZ6
"If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space."

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:34 am

Sorry it took so long for me to see this AAI, have you fixed it yet? I had a seal go out on mine last year or m Caaybe a little longer. We took it to a dealer, just the pump already removed, and they replaced the internal and external seals. One seal is for oil, and the other for water/coolant. Cost me $90 I think.