High winds tipping bike

Fero-X
Achievement count: 0

High winds tipping bike

Post by Fero-X » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:41 am

I live and work in areas with high winds. Twice I've gotten out of work to find my bike tipped over to the right side after a wind storm. Sure I could park my bike at a different angle going with the wind, but wind patterns change. I could get frame sliders, but that doesn't address the cause of the problem. I could get an adjustable sidestand and lower it for a greater lean angle, or maybe a centerstand. I could try to find a wall to park against or some cars to park between, but that won't always be possible.

Any ideas???

I don't even have 3k miles yet, and I've already ridden at speed without a rear brake, dropped it twice on the right due to high wind and once on the left trying to lower it off a rear-stand forgetting the sidestand was up, cracked the fairing on both sides, had to replace a broken clutch lever and shift change pedal, and otherwise banged it up so it appears to have been through a war. After high winds knocked it over for the second time tonight, I had to ride home with a sticky throttle that wouldn't automatically snap back to the closed position.

Did anyone else have it this hard starting out???

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Re: High winds tipping bike

Post by fixxervi6 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:52 am

First bike within the first two months it was vandalized, then a car did a hit and run on it at taco bell parking lot.

What kind of winds are we talking about here, 90mph+ to blow a bike over???
K1600

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:54 am

wow, what did you do to piss off karma?

sckego
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 49

Post by sckego » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:01 am

Find a place where the ground is sloping down to the left and park there, or just a low sunken spot in the pavement and put your kickstand in it. The farther you can get it leaned over to the left (within reason), the less likely it will be to blow over. Also, park the bike in gear so the wind can't roll it off the kickstand. And forget the centerstand idea; it will be even easier to knock over then on the kickstand.
Kegan "Glowstick"
'12 MTS1200ST - '15 CB500F - AFM #895 - AMA #3283468 - IBA #41999

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:25 am

May be a stupid question, but you are turning your handle bars all the way to the left?
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

Rhino
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:38 am

Are you putting a cover on your bike when you park it?

Fero-X

Post by Fero-X » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:58 am

we're talking +/- 45mph winds. yes handle bars are to the left. first time wind knocked it over it had a tarp, so I stopped using a tarp (whats the point after the fairing is cracked). This time no tarp. As regard to karma :-| , I'm hoping that I learn what I need to on this bike, so my next (more expensive) bike stays in better condition.

I'm going to try parking it in gear as suggested, without a tarp as I learned, going in the wind based on the last two tip overs, and right up against I small structure at the far end of the parking out. I still will probably get a lower stand if/when I have the money.

How about sliders? I was going to get them after first tip over, but I read that the no-cut sliders did involve some cutting which would damage the very thing I would be trying to protect. The small engine fits into the chasis which protects it. I saw a coworker with sliders on her 250r installed without cutting, but with cracks on either side it doesn't seem worth it any longer.

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:35 am

Yeah, tarps on bikes, sounds like a good idea, but there are several Ducati guys that learned the hard way at the inaugral running of MotoGP at Indy. :) One guy put a tarp on his bike, that then blew over and knocked over about 10 other Ducaties.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

Fero-X

Post by Fero-X » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:56 am

I guess I asked for all the headaches. People usually ride for recreation, and some commute, but those that commute on bikes usually have previous recreation experience, so they don't suffer all the growing pains and a costly learning curve while being solely dependent on their bikes for transportation.

It'll be ok. I'm determined, and my bike is a little workhorse. "Fero-X" is actually "ferox" which is latin for iron.

I've decided to get the PSR adjustable kick stand first, then PSR frame sliders and some spool sliders soon. I'll park in gear behind the only structure I can right up against its wall. My bike might be small and light, and the wind might be raging, but I don't think that kind of wind can overcome all those measures. I'll let yall know.

Grinner
Achievement count: 25

Post by Grinner » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:59 am

Fero-X wrote:I've decided to get the PSR adjustable kick stand first, then PSR frame sliders and some spool sliders soon. I'll park in gear behind the only structure I can right up against its wall. My bike might be small and light, and the wind might be raging, but I don't think that kind of wind can overcome all those measures. I'll let yall know.

Let me give ya some advice from expierence...never, eeeeever, challenge Mother Nature! You are opening the door to all kinds of headaches that you dont want.

Another thing to point out here is, are you sure it is the wind blowing it over? There could be a person that is actually doing this for you rather than the good ol Mother herself!
:D
Copper K3SV650S & K3SV1000S
Enjoy your Life...Don't Die Young Feeling Old When You Can Die Old Feeling Young!!
"Grinner is carrying the Black man-card, aka he has aquired enough man points his card is upgraded to the top teir." - fixxervi6

Fero-X

Post by Fero-X » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:03 pm

As for challenging Mother Nature on this... I have no choice. If it were ice on the road, a hurricane, or tornado then yeah I wouldn't ride. There's always a possibility it could be a person doing it, but I work at a prison on a military installation with floodlights, cameras, armed patrols, and predictable shifts, so it is highly unlikely to be a vandal. The area tends of be a little windy, and abnormally high wind gusts seem to be the culprit.

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:37 pm

Im sure it was the wind. I dont think you need to park all the way over there... just pull in forward to the normal spot and you will be leaning the proper direction. Most all of the heavy wind comes from that same direction. I dont usually worry about it because my bike is much heavier than yours. Frame sliders would be a great idea becuase they protect more than just the fairings. Try T-Rex frame sliders. I think they are on the more affordable side and they are usually no cut. I have them and they have done me great. The kickstand I dont think you need to lower but you can. Also for sure put it in gear.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Fero-X

Post by Fero-X » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:03 am

I'll see how the T-rex sliders compare to PSR's. I could kick myself for not getting them after it happened the first time. I didn't think it would happen again, so now I'm paranoid. When you see my bike behind that shack all the way across the parking lot then you'll know why. I got a handle bar and turn signal on order, and the kick stand is back-ordered. My throttle housing is halfway unscrewed to prevent the throttle from sticking. Going to wrap it and the turn signal in plastic wrap so it won't get wet inside if it rains while I'm parked- cause it WILL rain while I'm parked.

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by DemonDuck » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:06 pm

Not to say I told you so ... but I told you a while back to get frame sliders.... I also told you that I wouldnt put a tarp over the bike. Its no big deal ... everything sounds like easy fixes.... for now the cracks I would probably take the fairings off and use a little JB weld to hold it in proper placement. The throttle might just need a new bar end to fix it completly ... other than that I would have to look at it.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck

2000 SV650 Track bike
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:38 pm

you could just rhino liner the fairings. I hear that holds up well to a wreck on the track too.

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by DemonDuck » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:29 pm

True... I wonder how my bike would look in all rino liner?
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck

2000 SV650 Track bike
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Rhino
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:43 am

A ZX-14 in rhino liner? That would be pretty awesome, I think. Very Mad Max.

Fero-X

Post by Fero-X » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:55 pm

No no DD, the tarp is irrelevant other than being a hassle for naught. The tarp wasn't on when the wind blew my bike over the second time. What matters when parking in high winds is: the bike's weight and lean angle and wind direction and the direction you face while parking. Parking in gear is an additional safety measure, but it won't prevent anything along, and of course you would try to find shelter from the wind if available.

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by DemonDuck » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:03 am

Really putting the bike in gear will help alot. I have had my bike out in some really strong wind and the one time it has been blown over was when I didnt put it in gear. The wind pushed it from the back enough to kick the kickstand up and let it drop on the side. Other than that I have never had it blown over reguardless of the wind. Again much heavier bike than yours though.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck

2000 SV650 Track bike
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Fero-X

Post by Fero-X » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:27 am

Yikes, your bike getting blown over... that scary, and it means anything I'll ever ride could it tipped over by gusts of wind too! Now I understand the importance of parking in gear. Thou art wise DD.

sauter0966

Post by sauter0966 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:28 am

The only thing I would say is to have the kick stand facing away from the wind so the force of the wind is pushing the bike to the kick stand, its a lot harder to push a bike down toward the kick stand side than it is the other way, just a thought :idea:
:icon_woohoo:

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by DemonDuck » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:21 pm

And remember the bike is a whole lot more stable when on 2 wheels... huh Sauter?
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck

2000 SV650 Track bike
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

sauter0966

Post by sauter0966 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:52 pm

DemonDuck wrote:And remember the bike is a whole lot more stable when on 2 wheels... huh Sauter?
Hell my bike is table while flying lands on her wheels and still heads down the track with out me on her, she dont care as long as she is moving
:icon_woohoo: