new brakes

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Track Instructor
Achievement count: 42

Re: new brakes

Post by shilka99 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:48 am

They held up extremely well. I taught Level 1 on Saturday so I broke them in during the round robin and they got a lot of gentle use all day. On Sunday I did Level 3 and never had a problem.
However, they really messed with my front suspension settings. These disks are much lighter than stock. It shocked me at first but I got a lot of little micro slides from the front all day Sunday. Where usually the front is planted and very confidence inspiring, on Sunday it felt skittish and nervous all day, losing traction for an instant over bumps at high speed and lean. I had to slow my entries into Turns 1, 5 and 6 which are all very bumpy high speed corners on TWS. I suspect I have too much compression and rebound damping now that I have less unsprung weight

Then the real revelation came - I borrowed a friends GSX-R750 for a session. OH MY GOD. So thats what I've been missing all this time! With a well sorted chassis and all that power I dropped my lap time by over 5 seconds on the first lap! I'd forgotten what its like to have horsepower.
Shaun in McKinney
RGV250|520SX/SMR|RSV4 Factory