What to do

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

What to do

Post by milesmiles » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:44 pm

So as you may know i have a busted fork seal. I've checked out several shops, but decided to go with north texas superbikes. When i was there i asked if new springs would help me. He said no that the texas tracks are rough and it could put me in worse shape. We decided to go look at the bike and he started asking me weight questions and if i was bottoming out. I told him i didn't think i was. he pressed on the forks and said that yes i was. He didn't seem like he was 100% sure, but he said yes springs would help. thats +130dolllas extra. I don't mind that, but....do i really need it? I would hate to spend the money if i don't. I understand y'all may not know either, but i need some opinions
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

Bewst
Achievement count: 9

Re: What to do

Post by Bewst » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:03 pm

Come ride with me and Bryce tomorrow @ 6pm, I'm sure he'll take a look at it and give you an honest answer.

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:17 pm

where at?
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles

Bewst

Post by Bewst » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:33 pm

Dunno where yet, meeting up @ his shop @ 6pm then headed out from there. Could head up your way to the Mule Barn or something after hitting 407, etc

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 22

Post by Telomere » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:35 pm

milesmiles wrote:So as you may know i have a busted fork seal. I've checked out several shops, but decided to go with north texas superbikes. When i was there i asked if new springs would help me. He said no that the texas tracks are rough and it could put me in worse shape. We decided to go look at the bike and he started asking me weight questions and if i was bottoming out. I told him i didn't think i was. he pressed on the forks and said that yes i was. He didn't seem like he was 100% sure, but he said yes springs would help. thats +130dolllas extra. I don't mind that, but....do i really need it? I would hate to spend the money if i don't. I understand y'all may not know either, but i need some opinions
If Roger wasn't located in Austin, I would say ask him about the suspension (I don't know if he does fork seals) because you know HE KNOWS his shit.

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:37 pm

yeah i'm totally down if y'all want to meet at the mule barn.

Yeah i'm going to put a zip tie on it tomorrow and go ride for a bit and get down on the brakes. Then i might just call roger and ask him what he thinks. I totally agree, the guy knows his stuff. I've had two people mention this, which is why i posted up on the boards, thanks guys
The world needs Miles

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:43 pm

milesmiles wrote:yeah i'm totally down if y'all want to meet at the mule barn.

Yeah i'm going to put a zip tie on it tomorrow and go ride for a bit and get down on the brakes. Then i might just call roger and ask him what he thinks. I totally agree, the guy knows his stuff. I've had two people mention this, which is why i posted up on the boards, thanks guys
Are you going to have her fixed by MSCR? I hope it is quick fix and cheap too. Let me know when she is ready to test out 455 :D

Bewst

Post by Bewst » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:45 pm

Cool man, I'll text you tomorrow when we figure out what we're doing

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:46 pm

I'm going to put her in the shop this week and should have her out on tuesday. New fork seals $250 not to mention if i decide to go with springs. Not having to worry about my fork seals leaking anymore....priceless :)
The world needs Miles

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:48 pm

So the guy in the shop thinks you need new springs? What about having them adjusted? Have you had that done to them yet? If it is something as simple as having your suspension adjusted, pay Roger the money at MSRC and have him do it. Then you ride a for a session and go back in and readjusts it, if it needs it. I would call him and ask him because if that is all she needs, then that is a crap ton cheaper than investing in new shocks UNLESS that is something you WANT to do.

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:57 pm

Nah as that goes everything is good. I've had it adjusted at the end of last year by roger. With my weight and spring tension the guy thinks i may be bottoming out, but he wasn't for sure. He also said at first that he didn't want to put heavier shocks, because it can cause more problems than helping with the rough texas tracks. So i trust the guy and he knows what he is talking about(from what i can tell). I'm going to run the bike tomorrow and see where the zip ties are at after a day of riding. That should help my decision
The world needs Miles

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:05 pm

Ok but I plan on doing 455 sometime...following you but not at your speed to learn the "good" spots :D Maybe this would be good practice as a RLIT?

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:16 pm

I would go with the cheapest fix that you KNOW you need, run it a while, then if you need more, go get more done.
K1600

U-Turn
Achievement count: 31

Post by U-Turn » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:34 pm

Read the Triumph forums and see what others are doing with the bike. Maybe just a little heavier oil might be all you need.
There is a voodoo to good suspension and I only barely understand. "Suposedly" changing my "stock" springs for some 5# stiffer and going with 15w vs 10w makes some sort of a "huge" difference. From what I've read on the ST Forums.
And there is a suspension place in Carrolloton ~ the guys at RPM know, the place does race setups all the time, whatever thats worth.
All second-hand tawlk.
Check the triumph forums.
http://www.triumphrat.net/daytona675-forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sitting on the couch, watching TV, isn't living.
Triumph 955

txt 8..223.0762 to ride.
-

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:42 pm

If I were going to do any serious work or tweaking to my suspension I'd be taking it to a place that speicalizes in race suspension.

Miles - its not like you put put around on that thing, if your going to be messing with it's guts I'd make damn sure the surgeon is a good one.
K1600

Striple
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Expert
Achievement count: 42

Post by Striple » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:18 pm

Miles - you have a lot of options with that issue, and you're probably going to encounter as many different opinions as the number of people that you ask.

If it were me - which it was at one point last year - I'd take it to the same guy that does the race suspension setups for the CMRA guys. He's out in Alvarado, and is THE suspension guru in the region (I'd pick him or Roger - whom I really like - any day!). My SV went from its pogo stick stock suspension to being on par - probably better - than the one on my CBR. He specializes in race suspensions, and sets up the bikes for the CMRA experts & novices.

Just my $0.02
Last edited by Striple on Fri May 24, 2013 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:07 am

I agree with Striple on this. Also if you are already going to be having work done might as well make sure everything that needs to be done or will need to be done soon gets done now. It will be cheaper in the long run.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Rhino
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:20 am

When Roger set up your bike did he tell you that you needed new springs?

Correct spring rate is super important, you can't dial in your suspension correctly without it. But, I've seen Roger mention to people whether the spring rate is right or not. On my Ninja they got the preload dialed in enough that they said I don't need new springs, the springs in the 2008 ZX6R are mighty stiff.

As for "the Texas tracks are rough" answer, it seems like that has a lot more to do with your rebound and compression settings, not your spring rate. The spring rate is just all about holding up you and the bike correctly, with room for your suspension to move up and down. You don't want to be at the top or the bottom of your suspension when you're just sitting there on the bike, so you have to get the spring rate correct.

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:25 am

well it comes down to hard breaking and if i'm running out of travel because my springs are too soft for my weight. I should know more after running the bike around today with twist ties on
The world needs Miles

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:32 am

Make sure you fill your forks back up too. A fork that is low on oil doesn't behave right.

I personally wouldn't trust any info collected about the forks until the fork seals are fixed. Your compression damping is going to be all wonky because oil can move past the fork seal instead of just through the cartridge.

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:46 am

You might also stop by CycleWerkz and get Scotts oppion. He may not want to work on it, but I'm sure he'll take a look and offer some suggestions.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

WillK675

Post by WillK675 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:54 am

DarcShadow wrote:You might also stop by CycleWerkz and get Scotts oppion. He may not want to work on it, but I'm sure he'll take a look and offer some suggestions.
:icon_whs0be: Stop by and let Scott look at it, or Call Dave and ask him. They don't do the shocks themselves, but use a local guy that does nothing but suspension, and he is supposed to be the best in the area. It may even be the same guy that Striple was referring to. That guy is who a lot of the dirt bike racers take take their forks to get rebuilt. You may also try Eric at Swifty's as I think he takes his dritbike shocks to the same guy.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

Striple
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Expert
Achievement count: 42

Post by Striple » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:06 pm

WillK675 wrote:They don't do the shocks themselves, but use a local guy that does nothing but suspension, and he is supposed to be the best in the area. It may even be the same guy that Striple was referring to. That guy is who a lot of the dirt bike racers take take their forks to get rebuilt.
Yep, same guy. Regional suspension guru.
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:15 pm

ok i just got home from taking the bike out with twist ties. After some very very hard breaking i still had 1inch before it would hit the bottom. Then i decided to make sure , so i did a stoppie(i don't do stoppies) this pushed it down to where i had 1/2 inch left. I also nearly dropped my bike...this is why i don't do stoppies!!!! lol so i don't think i'll be putting new springs in! yay
The world needs Miles

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:24 pm

Oh holy crap, long story short I got a huge air bubble out of the brake lines today. My brakes have unreal stopping power now!
The world needs Miles