Okay, questions for next weeks maint.

Haste

Okay, questions for next weeks maint.

Post by Haste » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:00 pm

I know ive been spamming lately with my main post but i promise that will slow down... eventually. Next week is an oil and brake fluid switch out. Dont worry im not here to ask what oil to use. :-)

So current questions:
What oil filter brand would be considered top-notch in the motorcycle world?
Im going to be using a dot 3 fluid to do my switch out on the brakes, is there any advice on which dot 3 brand would be best for "agressive" braking? The fluid in the master cylinder looks like used oil, not even close to a pretty amber.
What purpose do the cylinder cozy things have, or is that just some cosmetic stuff?

Again, sorry for spamming. :)

WillK675
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 35

Re: Okay, questions for next weeks maint.

Post by WillK675 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:05 pm

Haste wrote:I know ive been spamming lately with my main post but i promise that will slow down... eventually. Next week is an oil and brake fluid switch out. Dont worry im not here to ask what oil to use. :-)

So current questions:
What oil filter brand would be considered top-notch in the motorcycle world?
Im going to be using a dot 3 fluid to do my switch out on the brakes, is there any advice on which dot 3 brand would be best for "agressive" braking? The fluid in the master cylinder looks like used oil, not even close to a pretty amber.
What purpose do the cylinder cozy things have, or is that just some cosmetic stuff?

Again, sorry for spamming. :)

Those with more knowledge can probably answer, but if your doing a change out on fluid you'll probably want to go dot 4, not 3. For Brand, shouldn't really matter.

For the cozy over the master cyclinder, it's to protect the resivour. Sunlight & UV and all that jazz will excelerate the deteriation of the plastic. So it's primarrily cosmetic, but it does help the longevity of the resevoir.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:18 pm

Haste wrote:What oil filter brand would be considered top-notch in the motorcycle world?
It really REALLY doesn't matter, but if you MUST have brand name get K&N. I hear it lets you pretend you have 0.00001 more horsepower.
Haste wrote:Im going to be using a dot 3 fluid to do my switch out on the brakes, is there any advice on which dot 3 brand would be best for "agressive" braking? The fluid in the master cylinder looks like used oil, not even close to a pretty amber.
Why are you switching to DOT3 instead of DOT4? The brand of fluid matters about as much as your brand of blinker fluid, but don't switch types. Use what your bike was designed for.
Haste wrote:What purpose do the cylinder cozy things have, or is that just some cosmetic stuff?
What Will said. It nominally keeps UV rays off the plastic, but it's mostly just so you don't have to look at a stupid white plastic reservoir. It also makes it much easier to go waaaaay too long before you change your brake fluid because you don't see that it has turned black.

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:23 pm

Just because the Dot number is higher does not mean it's better, and not all dot number are compatible with all brake systems. I'd stick with what ever number the bike came what stock. For brand, I forget the name but it's what CycleWerkz recommended.

As for filter, I use a car filter, and usually use the walmart brand, although lately the walmarts I've gone to only seemt o carry fram. In the Bike Maintenance forum there's a thread on oil filters it has the cross reference for finding a car filter that will fit your bike. Two big advantages of car filters, they're bigger so you actually have a bit more oil in the system, and they are much cheaper.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

Grinner
Achievement count: 25

Post by Grinner » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:31 pm

Your welcome on the advice to change it.

If you change your brake fluid when you change your oil, you dont have to worry bout it turnin black.

DOT3 is fine if it is called for on your particular bike...DOT4 is better...just dont use DOT2...and save the DOT 5 for HIGH PERFORMANCE applications only (ie...race cars/bikes)...brands, as Rhino stated, dont really matter. Stuffs cheap enough anyways is another reason to revert back to the second line.

oil filter...K&N is most commonly used in the bike community and FRAM is highly discouraged based off of "RUMORS". Not sayin I wouldnt use one especially being they have been round for a long time for something that is supposedly sooooo known to fail.

On the Wetter...if your bike is garaged in the winter, I wouldnt worry too much about changing the fluids unless you will be leaving her outside for long periods during freezing weather being it does not contain an antifreeze additive like the Engine Ice does (glycol I think).
:D
Copper K3SV650S & K3SV1000S
Enjoy your Life...Don't Die Young Feeling Old When You Can Die Old Feeling Young!!
"Grinner is carrying the Black man-card, aka he has aquired enough man points his card is upgraded to the top teir." - fixxervi6

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:39 pm

Yeah, all my bikes get used for commuting duty too. Sometimes they sit outside below freezing if I was a wingnut and rode that day.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:04 pm

K1600

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 0

Post by dufremle » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:17 pm

:icon_whs0be:
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner