Generator / Stator Cover Bolt Question

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Generator / Stator Cover Bolt Question

Post by Firewa11 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:58 am

So, I'm curious if anyone knows specifically what this bolt is used for on the GSXR generator/stator cover?

http://www.ronayers.com/CRANKCASE-COVER-C321558.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's part #20 on the above link. When replacing the cover, from the inside all it has is a little pin-hole going up through the bolt hole, and the bolt goes in with a copper looking washer. It for all intents and purposes appears to be a bleeder bolt similar to what you would have on a water pump, but I've never heard of bleeding air out of oil like you would water coolant.

Is this an access port for hooking up a pressure gauge of some sort to see what internal engine pressures are reaching when the bike is running?
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Re: Generator / Stator Cover Bolt Question

Post by fixxervi6 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:01 am

Dunno but both of my Ninja's have those too.
K1600

JTChiTown
Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 7

Post by JTChiTown » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:59 pm

I think it's for a holding fixture. I seem to recall my 900rr had something for one of the procedures to insert a pin to lock that while adjusting something else. Sending pressurized oil through an outer cover and back in is just bad engineering for a test port. Introduces 3 leak sources when a tap off the block would suffice.
Jeff

"Drive fast, attract Cops; Drive faster, attract Sponsors"

Stardog
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 21

Post by Stardog » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:39 pm

That is most likely going to be a bolt to remove so that you can see the ticks on the rotor for timing the cams, adjusting valve lash etc. That is why it is aimed in that direction. There are lines on your rotor for TDC.
DR650
Have cool, will travel

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:26 pm

That sounds about right, but I don't see how you're going to see anything through there, unless there's bright flashing or something from in the generator. That hole is no bigger than 1mm. Would you stick some sort of tool that measures ticks based on magnetic response, electric discharge, or even a soft ended tool that records the tick-tick-tick as it spins around?
ImageImageImage

Stardog
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 21

Post by Stardog » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:30 pm

1mm? Hmm. pretty little. In my experience you just shine a light and turn the crank by hand until the ticks line up and then check to see if it is at the top of the compression or exhaust stroke based on cam lobe position. Do you have that bolt out? If so, why?
DR650
Have cool, will travel

WillK675
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 35

Post by WillK675 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:36 pm

Well looking at the part description it says "bolt, reservoir" So logically thinking that would be a plug bolt for a reservoir on the crankcase. :))
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:43 pm

Turbo oil feed return line :))
K1600

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:00 pm

Heh, I didn't take the bolt out, replaced a cover and thus reused the bolt and washer, but was just trying to figure out what the purpose was. I've skimmed through the service manual and can't find a reference for it. Timing and such is adjusted with the cover off (at least per the service manual), and the oil pressure port is actually on the other side of the bike, right below the clutch cover. It's a mystery for sure. Also, from the angle of stuff and the rest of the bike in the way, I don't see how you could easily peer down that hole even with a light to inspect it, unless you're using some sort of laproscopic bike tools. And if you do, you probably have enough money to have someone else turn the wrenches. Or, ya know, buy a new one every few hundred miles.

I guess I'll ask at the shop when I get my master cylinder replaced. Just thought it might be something obvious to one of you guys.
ImageImageImage

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:00 pm

One of my bolts for the stator cover has a copper washer as well, never found out myself. Used the same one when i replaced my stator
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles