FWMR Blog Topic Request

Striple
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Expert
Achievement count: 42

FWMR Blog Topic Request

Post by Striple » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:02 am

I've been asked to write a blog for FWMR, and would like to know what kind of topic you guys would be most interested in. Off the top of my head, I was thinking of one of the following, but I'm more than open to something completely different:

- When am I ready to move up to level 2/3?
- Braking Techniques
- What is the best track bike?
- From slow to fast--how to become a fast track rider
- The value of a good suspension
- Tire choices
- Track skills that translate to street riding
- How to choose an oil
- Slipper clutches

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Striple on Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Re: Ridesmart Blog Topic Request

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:13 am

I think "which is the best track bike" is super subjective, for some people that may be a gold wing.

What about some info around why it's not important to chase and push levels.
K1600

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:13 am

Braking, it covers a lot of different levels & works for the street.

I think many people simply overlook this, thinking to go faster they have to use more throttle. When the case, that is probably hurting them more because they don't know how to brake
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:15 am

How about the importance of a good rear shock
K1600

Striple

Post by Striple » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:19 am

fixxervi6 wrote:I think "which is the best track bike" is super subjective, for some people that may be a gold wing.

What about some info around why it's not important to chase and push levels.
An article about which bike is the best track bike wouldn't aim to list a bike and talk about why its best, but instead explain the different approaches to riding, and how various, completely different models can be used to achieve the goals. The second part that you mentioned would be part of a "When am I ready to move to level 2/3" article. It would basically talk about what defines those levels, what one can expect in them, how to approach the transition, and how to know that the right time has come.
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

Striple

Post by Striple » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:20 am

fixxervi6 wrote:How about the importance of a good rear shock
Actually, the value of a good suspension would not be a bad idea to write about. I'll add that to the list of options. Bonus for kicking Miles in the cojones! :idea:

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Re: FWMR Blog Topic Request

Post by milesmiles » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:24 am

I know the value! Which is why i've stayed away for the time. :mad:
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles

LonestarCBR
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 32

Post by LonestarCBR » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:01 am

I could be off-base, but "tires" might also be a topic for discussion, in general. To me, tire technology is just about as important as suspension, or at least close. That may be an ignorant assumption however. I'm really unsure if specific tires work better on specific bikes, then of course even in the Metzeler RaceTec's I use. They are OEM, but really perform well so i never could make myself switch to Q3's, for example. Anyway, within the RaceTec line, in my size, there are still three different compounds from which to choose. And then especially once the subject of tire-warmers starts creeping up. While I'm not in this school of thought, I can only imagine there are people who would think "if the fast guys are using tire warmers...I wan't them", even though their tires may not need them. I have no idea if there comes a point where they are detrimental to using them.

I think "what is the best track bike" has some merit, as subjective as it is. It helps give someone such as myself who might be shopping for a trackbike some guidance. I can't convince myself an SV650 is right for me, though it most like is the smart choice, and that is consistently the advice Iget. I keep thinking more towards Daytona 675 or GSXR750...but I'm probably way out in left field. I worked my way up through street bike power/displacement (old school, the way I think everyone should do it), and I have this sense that some of the stuff I find enjoyable on a motorcycle gets lost with the drop in displacement/power...especially at the track. I'm probably about as backwards as I can be in this thinking, I just have no experience on an SV650, for example, in order to make a comparison. I know handling is paramount, as is lighter weight, regardless of how much "go" is packs.

That being said, all of your topics are good, and you should probably write one for each, considering your experience.
~ Terry
'12 Speed Triple 1050 ABS, '07 GSX-R750 (track)
Happiness isn't around the corner, it IS the corner.
Anybody can jump a motorcycle. The trouble begins when you try to land it. EK

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:06 am

And tire sizes, there are a few people that tried to make fun of me for my 180/50 vs 180/55 discussion and the joke is on them - there is a difference.
K1600

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 0

Post by dufremle » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:11 am

fixxervi6 wrote:And tire sizes, there are a few people that tried to make fun of me for my 180/50 vs 180/55 discussion and the joke is on them - there is a difference.
I never said there wasn't a difference. I said the bike was set up to use a specific tire size. Changing the size doesn't necessarily mean the bike will handle better in all categories. Unless that size is listed as an option from the manufacturer, I prefer to stick to the size the manufacturer recommends. Especially on bikes with electronics where a taller or shorter tire may cause problems.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:15 am

dufremle wrote:
fixxervi6 wrote:And tire sizes, there are a few people that tried to make fun of me for my 180/50 vs 180/55 discussion and the joke is on them - there is a difference.
I never said there wasn't a difference. I said the bike was set up to use a specific tire size. Changing the size doesn't necessarily mean the bike will handle better in all categories. Unless that size is listed as an option from the manufacturer, I prefer to stick to the size the manufacturer recommends. Especially on bikes with electronics where a taller or shorter tire may cause problems.
Bikes with good electronics can compensate for different tire sizes/profiles.

I wasn't talking about you, but if the shoe fits feel free to lace that bitch on up and wear it.
K1600

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:18 am

FIGHT!
The world needs Miles

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:20 am

:PillowFight:

I think tire sizes and profiles are a confusing topic for a lot of people so it would be a good blog.

There is also this thought that if the bike came with X, I have to run X and that's far from the truth so I think it would be a good topic.
K1600

Striple

Post by Striple » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:25 am

Updated the list to include tire choices.

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:34 am

Yea, i like the idea of tires as well. Again it's a topic often overlooked by people who just buy what they like & hear is good, when the truth is there is SOOO much more to it. Tire pressures could go along with this quite well! I think that's an excellent topic as i'd like to learn more as well.
The world needs Miles

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:37 am

For the record I have a ninja 250 in my garage that got the hell ragged out of it at the track, and it's running front and rear tire sizes not recommended by the manufacture and it did GREAT :))
K1600

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:49 am

fixxervi6 wrote:For the record I have a ninja 250 in my garage that got the hell ragged out of it at the track, and it's running front and rear tire sizes not recommended by the manufacture and it did GREAT :))
that's like me saying "i run rotella in my bike & it runs great".......
The world needs Miles

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:09 am

milesmiles wrote:
fixxervi6 wrote:For the record I have a ninja 250 in my garage that got the hell ragged out of it at the track, and it's running front and rear tire sizes not recommended by the manufacture and it did GREAT :))
that's like me saying "i run rotella in my bike & it runs great".......
Yea miles... that's exactly the same thing.......
worf_facepalm-1.jpg
worf_facepalm-1.jpg (35.83 KiB) Viewed 4443 times
K1600

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:11 am

It is. On one had im running an oil that is different from the norm, same for your tires. My oil might make the engine not last as long, your tires might make the bike handle funny. etc...
The world needs Miles

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:13 am

milesmiles wrote:It is. On one had im running an oil that is different from the norm, same for your tires. My oil might make the engine not last as long, your tires might make the bike handle funny. etc...
Running walmart diesel oil in a high revving high performance machine with a wet clutch is way different than changing the tire size on a bike. Unless we are talking about a 12" stretch 300 tire kit, then ok then I can see it.
K1600

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 0

Post by dufremle » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:31 am

I consider track and street completely different. Saying a different tire size works great on the track doesn't mean you can run the same size on the street without issue. If I were heavy into track riding I would have no issues trying different sizes to see what works better, but I'm not comfortable doing that on the street. Too many variables out of your control on the street.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:33 am

But you try different brands of tires and they all have different profiles and compounds. By your reasoning you shouldn't run anything other than OEM tires.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:33 am

it's certified for wet clutch dude
The world needs Miles

Rhino
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:39 am

I'd like to see a post about skills that translate from the track to the street and skills that don't.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:39 am

DarcShadow wrote:But you try different brands of tires and they all have different profiles and compounds. By your reasoning you shouldn't run anything other than OEM tires.
:icon_whs0be:
milesmiles wrote:it's certified for wet clutch dude
Hey man it's a free country, you can run peanut oil in penny if you'd like. But I figured you'd show penny some love and give her what's best for her.
K1600