I've got to know

Blinker
Achievement count: 0

I've got to know

Post by Blinker » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:13 am

So I’m watching this years races FIM, AMA, GP and i'm noticing something new (for me anyway) ... what is up with the inside foot kick going into corners? EI: Troy Bayliss (FIM) is one of the most prominent. My guess is the kick of the foot throws the weight to the inside helping you get set for the up-coming corner. Of course this is an uneducated guess so if someone would enlighten me that it would be much appreciated. I've slow-mo'd it and he almost touches his foot to the ground before setting the steering for the corner.
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:58 am

I found this article from other boards online that some folks were discussing it:

http://www.600rr.net/vb/archive/index.php/t-52102.html

Blinker

Post by Blinker » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:14 am

oh sweet thnx for the link... not having a GP shifter nor been on a bike with a GP shifter i didn't even think of that aspect.
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:33 pm

Yeah, it makes sense that they are just clearing 'resetting' their positioning too... I mean, I do that occasionally, not kick my foot out, but reset my foot position on the peg to make sure my toes and ankle are where they should be...

DLSGAP
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider

Post by DLSGAP » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:55 am

I do it to an extent... but not nearly as dramatic as they do...

and its for both reasons mentioned... to get the foot out from under the shifter after down shifting and to reset it on the pegs so you can weight them properly for the corner.

I doubt its much of an issue with this group, but you'd be surprised how many riders don't realize that you can help steer the bike with the frame too
Wear your gear... I'd rather sweat than bleed.
Current bike:
CBR954RR

Former bikes
'87 YSR
' 92 CBR 600F2
'91 ZX7
' 92 ZX7RR
'94 ZX7RR
' 98 ZX7R
'07 ZX10R
' 11 FZ8

Bird

Post by Bird » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:52 pm

DLSGAP wrote:...I doubt its much of an issue with this group, but you'd be surprised how many riders don't realize that you can help steer the bike with the frame too
Haven't been on the track with FWMR, have you? I'm not saying that everyone is 'race ready', but some of our guys do a hell of a job staying fast and smooth. Tips/Tricks/Hints are always welcome, but it's not safe just assuming that nobody already knows about it. As for myself, don't EVER challenge me on the track ... I'll just laugh and go back to level two where I feel safe. :(

Seriously, some of our riders are working hard on becoming really good at racing ... others just enjoy being on the track where it's safe and having a chance to work on high speed handling away from the street.

Even our beginning track riders work on loading the pegs and body positioning during every lap. Granted, some work harder than others, but it's all in the spirit of getting out there and enjoying the rush. In general, we don't go to the track to race, but to practice. Still, I'd be willing to bet that someone will be on your tail giving you a chase. :))
Mike
It SUCKS to get old ... it sucks even MORE to realize it! Live for the moment every chance you get.

DLSGAP
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider

Post by DLSGAP » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:12 am

my comment was geared to riders in general based on what i've seen on the street/track but excluding the riders here... hence the qualifier... "i doubt its a problem with this group"

I know you guys are experienced and I did meet a few guys at Cresson in october.
Wear your gear... I'd rather sweat than bleed.
Current bike:
CBR954RR

Former bikes
'87 YSR
' 92 CBR 600F2
'91 ZX7
' 92 ZX7RR
'94 ZX7RR
' 98 ZX7R
'07 ZX10R
' 11 FZ8