Handling a Speeding Ticket

R-Sen
Achievement count: 0

Post by R-Sen » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:04 pm

GRex wrote:Some of you need to go back and read the link I posted before you give advice. Here it is again: http://www.fortworthgov.org/municipalco ... px?id=5672.
The ticket was stated to be 25 over and in Fort Worth. Per the Fort Worth Municiple Court web page Driver Safety Training and Defferred Disposition only apply up to 24 mph over the limit .
yes i saw that on the back of the ticket to. Thats why I wanted to see if my recalibration thing could put me at 24mph or under.
NOS is like a hot girl with crabs, you wanna hit it, but scared of the consequences.
06' YZFR-1
06' GSXR-600 R.I.P.
125 CC Random Scooter (i was only 12)

Meat of Snail

Post by Meat of Snail » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:19 am

GRex wrote:Some of you need to go back and read the link I posted before you give advice. Here it is again: http://www.fortworthgov.org/municipalco ... px?id=5672.
The ticket was stated to be 25 over and in Fort Worth. Per the Fort Worth Municiple Court web page Driver Safety Training and Defferred Disposition only apply up to 24 mph over the limit .
agreed, that is what they say, though you are still allowed to go before a judge and request the defensive driving route or deffered. Either way, best bet is to get the Lawyer, they will do what they can to try and dissmiss it, but at last resort they will always do everything they can to keep it off your record. You may still need to pay the fine if it is not dissmissed, but there is a good chance (if you have a lawyer) that it will not go on your record.
Meat of Snail ==> AKA: Snail Meat
Bike: ZX-10R 2007 Special Edition
IBA# 41998

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:26 am

I don't think I've ever been given a ticket that was over the limit for defensive driving. I've been clocked over that magic 20 or 25mph over limit (depending on the county / city), but the cop has always written it down to where I can do defensive driving or whatever... That cop is a dick if he wouldn't fudge it down one point to help you out :-)
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:17 am

from experience (not my own) even if a ticket does not go on your MVR record, it may still show up on your criminal, so if you apply for any jobs that require a clean MVR and they check backgrounds, you they may still see the ticket.

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:21 am

Blizzard_1708 wrote:from experience (not my own) even if a ticket does not go on your MVR record, it may still show up on your criminal, so if you apply for any jobs that require a clean MVR and they check backgrounds, you they may still see the ticket.
Hmmm... never heard that one before. I do know that my current employer required that I not have more than X amount of speeding tickets on my record. Proof of good moral, law-abiding citizen sort of stuff I think.
ImageImageImage

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:05 am

We disqualified quite a few drivers for having speeding violations on their criminal record within the last three years, but the tickets were not on their MVR.

WillK675
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 35

Post by WillK675 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:14 am

R-Sen wrote: yes i saw that on the back of the ticket to. Thats why I wanted to see if my recalibration thing could put me at 24mph or under.
The recalibration thing is only for their radar guns. I'm going off memory here so I may not be entirly correct. But it's public record and you have the right to request from the city, their certificate of calibration for their radar guns. And from what I understand most cities don't keep track of those, and let them lapse, and if it's expired you can get your ticket dismissed. But you'd probably need a lawyer to go that route.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:30 am

WillK675 wrote:
R-Sen wrote: yes i saw that on the back of the ticket to. Thats why I wanted to see if my recalibration thing could put me at 24mph or under.
The recalibration thing is only for their radar guns. I'm going off memory here so I may not be entirly correct. But it's public record and you have the right to request from the city, their certificate of calibration for their radar guns. And from what I understand most cities don't keep track of those, and let them lapse, and if it's expired you can get your ticket dismissed. But you'd probably need a lawyer to go that route.
The stuff I found was pretty much right along these same lines. Wait until a week before your trial date to give them less time to dig it up. The idea is to make your trial more and more work for everyone and eventually they'll realize you're more trouble than the fine you'll end up paying, and they'll drop it.
ImageImageImage

R-Sen

Post by R-Sen » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:46 pm

WillK675 wrote:
With this being said, could I or would you guys ask to see the Radar Gun before you sign the ticket? Because like I said I was not moving much faster then the car I just passed, and when my scanner went off again I slowed down, but thats besides the point now. She saw my radar detector, I just dont know if they are supposed to keep the speed that they clocked you at just in case you want to see it. Thanks I thnk Ill do the lawyer thing to try and get it completely dismissed, and if not well hopefully he can try deffering it still. What gets me is I was prior military so im already very friendly and courteous and I was with her "cop" but no slack I even thought of that when I read the ticket and couldnt believe she didnt write it up for 84, so I could do defensive drivers stuff. Oh well, I learned my lesson. I just have to get out of that California Mentality that flow with traffic is ok. and that Lane Splitting is a no no out here..(kinda)
NOS is like a hot girl with crabs, you wanna hit it, but scared of the consequences.
06' YZFR-1
06' GSXR-600 R.I.P.

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:24 am

cops dont tend to give sport bikes a break out here, too many sport bikes run, and those of us who pull over take the heat for them.

sckego
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice

Post by sckego » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:50 am

Blizzard_1708 wrote:cops dont tend to give sport bikes a break out here, too many sport bikes run, and those of us who pull over take the heat for them.
*shrug*
I've got more warnings then tickets...
Kegan "Glowstick"
'12 MTS1200ST - '15 CB500F - AFM #895 - AMA #3283468 - IBA #41999

R-Sen

Post by R-Sen » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:07 pm

Blizzard_1708 wrote:cops dont tend to give sport bikes a break out here, too many sport bikes run, and those of us who pull over take the heat for them.
I was on the freeway when her lights turned on, me personally im not one for stopping on the free way so i put my blinkers on and pointed that i was exiting, and she took a defensive like position, not behind me on the exit ramp, but on the slow lane in the freeway still as if I might all of a sudden gun it down the freeway. Procedures and experience im guessing, but no running for me, I actually plan on doing Law Enforcement in my future. Ironic I know.
06' YZFR-1
06' GSXR-600 R.I.P.

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:17 pm

I've gotten pulled over twice in the past 4 years, got a ticket both times. Once in the truck, female officer, once on the bike, male officer. Guess I just dont have the knack for getting a warning.

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:26 pm

In the metroplex, especially Grapevine / Irving, they'll give sporties tickets, but I think it's from all of the other groups giving sporties a bad name. Like, all of the bike nights that used to go on at the Whataburger, bringing hundreds of bikers doing stupid stuff... blocking freeways, etc... Outside of the city more, especially where I'm at, I've been cut more slack than I can count. And out in the sticks too, most of the time if they even bother to pull me over, it's for a finger-wag and a "you're gonna kill yourself" speech.

In fact, the only time I recall ever getting a citation for speeding on my bike was captured on film.

:-) :-) :-)
ImageImageImage

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:19 pm

who is this?
same album of photos.

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:28 pm

I think that was Terry's wife, probably shooting the last pic on the roll or something.
ImageImageImage

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:49 pm

Ah Arkansas...good times, good times.

Last pic on the role? What is this, 1985? ha! I don't think it's his wife, no ring, but I don't know who else it could be so maybe it's her.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:09 pm

I think we need to plan an arkansas trip this year. I know some people are going to Barber, and might not be able to afford both, but some people are not going to Barber and might like an Ark trip instead.

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:13 pm

I'll be doing Arkansas this year for sure. I haven't been in far too long.
ImageImageImage

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider

Post by dufremle » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:26 pm

I'm not making any big trip plans until I get out of debt. I'm just hoping my plan will work out. If it does I will probably do Arkansas.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:57 pm

alright, I'll keep it on the back burner and we can start discussing it more near the end of summer.

GRex

Post by GRex » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:24 pm

sckego wrote:
*shrug*
I've got more warnings then tickets...
I don't tend to get pulled over. . . but they want to :-) :-)
2009 Piaggio MP3 500
2010 White/Silver 14RR T-Rex
2005 Pearl White T-Rex (Sold)
IBA# 41997
Image Image

WillK675
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 35

Post by WillK675 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:17 am

GRex, the only reason you get pulled over is so they ogle and find out what that thing your riding is.

oooh, Look at the castle! :-) :-)
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

Bird

Post by Bird » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:40 pm

Running is what the cops expect from crotch rockets ... ran into that with my last ticket. She was very appreciative of me stopping and wrote it for about 10 under the clock that she had recorded. If she had been a couple of miles down the road, the overage would have been closer to 100! :-)

As for asking to see the radar gun, the most important advice I can offer to anyone on the board is to do EVERYTHING you can to not stand out in the officers memory. They have to tell the judge that they remember the specific incident ... NOT 'he/she looks familiar'.

Go with one of the lawyers that are known for taking the fees and getting you off unless you KNOW you can do the defensive driving thing (MSF level 2 works well for this :D ). I've done both ways ... fought it and hired Mallory. The lawyer approach was much less painfull.
Mike
It SUCKS to get old ... it sucks even MORE to realize it! Live for the moment every chance you get.