Trailering Questions

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Trailering Questions

Post by Firewa11 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:19 pm

Does anyone have an experience using an enclosed U-Haul trailer for hauling your bike? The ones I've seen do not have any sort of hooks or eyelets in the floor for strapping down to, only a wooden rail running along the sides and in the middle of the trailer, but with no real structurally sound place to tie down to.

Other than drilling a few holes in the floor of the trailer and bolting in your own tie-down eyelets (and hoping Uhaul doesn't notice when you return it), what have you done in order to get it safely and securely strapped down? I know U-Haul rents open motorcycle trailers, as well as open utility trailers (I've used these), but for safety of the bike and security of not getting it jacked, let's stick to just the enclosed.

Now one thing I had thought about would be to use a sheet of plywood cut to fit inside the trailer floor, With a 2x4 running along the trailer-front side of the plywood, with some eyelets bolted to that, as well as a makeshift front wheel chock out of 2x4's a foot or so behind that. Sounds like it would work pretty well except I'd be worried about the whole assembly, bike included, trying to slide out the back of the trailer.

Trying to think of the best, but least complicated way of doing this. Thoughts?
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

Blizzard_1708

Re: Trailering Questions

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:05 am

just a thought.....what about those load securing bars that run across the back of semi trailers. You should be able to rent one or two from uhaul, and it might give you a place to strap to.

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:52 am

You could use your idea and just screw the whole thing to the floor of the u-haul then before you take it back pull the screws out and remove your stuff. I am sure they wouldnt see or even if they did you could say the couple of holes where there already.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:00 am

I believe U-Haul does rent an enclosed motorcycle trailer. That beig said, I used a U-Haul truck to move to PA and just put some heavy blankets and padding against the wall and strapped the bike to the wall of the truck then put pillows and stuff on the other side to keep anything from smashing against it. Worked just fine.

I strapped it to the right side of the truck so that if the straps were to come loose the kick stand would still be there to help prevent it from falling to the left and the wall of the truck would stop it from falling to the right. Left it in gear and had stuff all packed around it, pretty sure it would of made it safely had I not even bother strapping it in.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:21 am

Looks like you're right, they do rent trailers with eyelets in the corners for strapping down to, but it's only on certain trailers. All of the 'motorcycle-sized' trailers I've looked at or rented in the past didn't have tie-downs.
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

CrazyKuban
Achievement count: 0

Post by CrazyKuban » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:46 am

OK, this is from my own moving experiences and may or may not work for you, but here is the idea.

Get a 2x4 and bolt the tight downs to it. The ones that come with a flush mounting plates work best (they are used to go on walls and floors, etc, without having to drill a hole all the way through). After you do this, then bolt the 2x4 to the floor of the U-HAUL using 2 to 2-1/2 metal screws. If you know the measurement of the inside of the truck, cut the 2x4 to fit the width of the floor and that way you can secure the 2x4 in multiple places.

Once that is done, you could also bolt to the 2x4 a motorcycle front stand, or run two 2x4's back to keep the front wheel from moving around.

Yes you will put a few holes in the floor, but they will be small, and you will be able to save the rig for another time that you have to do the same on another trailer. Also, if you get some silicone, you should be able to patch the holes easy and most times nobody will notice anything.

Small (drywall) size metal screw holes are easier to cove up than large holes made by eye hook types. Even if you have more than two holes in the floor. Also, sweep some dirt around the floor, and the patches will be conceal pretty easy.

Good luck
A brother is a friend given by Nature. Legouve.

WillK675
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 35

Post by WillK675 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:53 pm

CrazyKuban wrote:OK, this is from my own moving experiences and may or may not work for you, but here is the idea.

Get a 2x4 and bolt the tight downs to it. The ones that come with a flush mounting plates work best (they are used to go on walls and floors, etc, without having to drill a hole all the way through). After you do this, then bolt the 2x4 to the floor of the U-HAUL using 2 to 2-1/2 metal screws. If you know the measurement of the inside of the truck, cut the 2x4 to fit the width of the floor and that way you can secure the 2x4 in multiple places.

Once that is done, you could also bolt to the 2x4 a motorcycle front stand, or run two 2x4's back to keep the front wheel from moving around.

Yes you will put a few holes in the floor, but they will be small, and you will be able to save the rig for another time that you have to do the same on another trailer. Also, if you get some silicone, you should be able to patch the holes easy and most times nobody will notice anything.

Small (drywall) size metal screw holes are easier to cove up than large holes made by eye hook types. Even if you have more than two holes in the floor. Also, sweep some dirt around the floor, and the patches will be conceal pretty easy.

Good luck
I dont' think they are going to give a rats rear, that you made the holes if you have fixed the damage. Plus if it appears to be repaired already, they won't know if it was you, or someone prior.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

CrazyKuban
Achievement count: 0

Post by CrazyKuban » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:06 pm

You can always buy cheap hooks, and leave them in the floor. I think they might not notice. Plus you can say you got it like that. If you bolt them close to the front wall corners, they are hard to see, unless you are looking for it.
A brother is a friend given by Nature. Legouve.