Lean Angle and knees

Grinner
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 25

Re: Lean Angle and knees

Post by Grinner » Tue May 24, 2011 4:21 pm

The funny thing about all of this is that for me, I feel that I should be out there learing all different kinds of lines. Like when @ Barber and finally getting fed up with the bricks and forced myself to start passing. Now we are talking about two totally different lines.
If this new thing is so, that if you do not hit the x marks, you will be pulled from track. Then the first time it happens and there is no logical reasoning like, "you're riding within a very dangerous limit and we feel you are a danger to yourself and others out there." then I would have to say thanks, I want all my $ back and you wont have to worry about me ever coming back again.

Look, lets get into some finite detail here...each bike made reacts differently on the track and not all lines work the same for each rider. NASCAR is a perfect example of this. Sometimes the faster line for two different drivers, cars, and soforth, might be multiple feet from each other. Is it right or wrong? Apparently not because they are each on the fastest line for them even though they have tried each others lines respectfully.

Either way, I am not one to believe you must follow what I say to the hilt. Perfect example of following me to a hilt is to look at the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels and see what happens when you dont take your own way sometimes. Of course in their job, that is the way they are supposed to fly.
(I know this isnt a perfect example, but it is all I can think of at the moment)

I know that ever since I first heard about these "X"'s, I have not been really enthused. I understand the reasoning, and that they work for those who only know what inside the box that counts, but I for one am not an inside the box person. Would I hit the marks? Maybe, if they are on the line I am choosing to take at the moment. Or maybe for my first lap of the session, while warming up the treads, to get a refresher on location points before I begin to open her up and start persuing the lines I am looking to run at that moment.

One other thing while we are at this...
I do see forcing these as beeing more of a PITA being that you are already being rushed as it is when it comes to track time versus class time versus focus time to apply what you have learned before getting out on track. That is the one main problem I have had every time I have done a trackday. It seems like it is always a, "GO, GO, GO, GO, GO, GO, GET MOVING!" kinda pace and I am left with no chance to take time and focus on some of the things they are teaching in class and try to apply before I go back out on track without losing (lets be realistic) "valuable" track time.

Again...just my 2cts and I will kick the soapbox to the side now for another day.
:D
Copper K3SV650S & K3SV1000S
Enjoy your Life...Don't Die Young Feeling Old When You Can Die Old Feeling Young!!
"Grinner is carrying the Black man-card, aka he has aquired enough man points his card is upgraded to the top teir." - fixxervi6

Rhino
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Tue May 24, 2011 4:58 pm

I'm not sure where anybody got the idea that if you miss the X's they'll throw you off the track, but it's totally false. I blew a TON of them and they never once said anything to me. Heck, the instructors will even talk after the first few sessions about how some of the X's are in the wrong spot and you should be some number of feet to the side.

They're a big obvious reference point for track newbies like me, nothing more.

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Tue May 24, 2011 7:00 pm

fixxervi6 wrote:They told us in the class rooms turn on the X or they would pull you off the track.
I'm pretty sure this is where everyone got that idea

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Wed May 25, 2011 2:32 am

Blizzard_1708 wrote:
fixxervi6 wrote:They told us in the class rooms turn on the X or they would pull you off the track.
Yep, could have been just the one guy blowing smoke but he said it
K1600

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Wed May 25, 2011 7:23 am

fixxervi6 wrote:
Blizzard_1708 wrote:
Yep, could have been just the one guy blowing smoke but he said it
I must have missed that. They definitely didn't say that on Sunday and they didn't say it last month, so I think maybe the guy was just blowing smoke.

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Track Instructor
Achievement count: 42

Post by shilka99 » Wed May 25, 2011 10:55 am

This was an idea we were considering. The theory is that being on the proper line makes it a lot harder to crash, and keeping people safe is the most important thing. But the wide variety of bikes and styles makes it almost impossible to enforce so it never really made it past the idea stage.
Shaun in McKinney
RGV250|520SX/SMR|RSV4 Factory

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Mon May 30, 2011 2:48 pm

Getting back to the original topic, lean angle and knees, I noticed today that if I thought of grabbing the bar like a door knob when leaned over, (as sean suggested at the last RideSmart school), it really does "force" your arm to go out and your body to drop into a more proper possition even though you only make a very slight change in your hand position.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Mon May 30, 2011 3:00 pm

DarcShadow wrote:Getting back to the original topic, lean angle and knees, I noticed today that if I thought of grabbing the bar like a door knob when leaned over, (as sean suggested at the last RideSmart school), it really does "force" your arm to go out and your body to drop into a more proper possition even though you only make a very slight change in your hand position.
learned that while riding dirt bikes :D
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:45 pm

By the way, the whole "change your hand position" thing helped me out a lot way up in the mountains. I can't wait to try it out on the track.