Hooking a turn

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Hooking a turn

Post by milesmiles » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:54 pm

So i just saw a RS video on youtube about "hooking a turn". It's an advance level technique used to make the bike turn harder if you are starting to run out of road, without upseting the bike. Basically as i understand it, you get off the seat more and dip your body position down quite a bit more. This changes the geometry of the bike causing it to make a sharper turn in. Now with that being said does anyone on this forum use this and can someone explain it to me better.
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Re: Hooking a turn

Post by fixxervi6 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:00 pm

milesmiles wrote:So i just saw a RS video on youtube about "hooking a turn". It's an advance level technique used to make the bike turn harder if you are starting to run out of road, without upseting the bike. Basically as i understand it, you get off the seat more and dip your body position down quite a bit more. This changes the geometry of the bike causing it to make a sharper turn in. Now with that being said does anyone on this forum use this and can someone explain it to me better.
Link?
K1600

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:04 pm

http://www.youtube.com/user/ridesmart1# ... _qEA-szIzw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i looked up a few other things on a google search as well
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:51 am

It is just doing more of what you should have already done. Lean more off the bike to allow the bike to turn harder with the same lean angle. At least from your words that is what I am getting from it. Cant hit the link from work so that is the best I can do for you at the moment....... but I have done this at the track just for self preservation really.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:54 am

To a certain extent I do this on the street sometimes, exmple left hand turn, running too hot and going wide, dip down further, look further through, and push with my left hand. I'll go from sitting up to sliding off and down like in a "track" posistion mid turn, the trick is to NOT use your handlebars to slide down or the bike will shake.

So if I understand it correctly, yes I kinda do this, but probably not in the context or to the extent that they mean it for track.

On the track if I start running wide I do it different than the street, pick my knee up further, go static throttle or even roll off very slowly. I'm already "down" and looking all the way through.
K1600

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:28 am

The only times I have had to do it at the track I found that I could still get a little more off the bike with my arse .... and did so. Sometimes what feels like all the way off the bike to me isnt really ALL the way off but just 90% off or whatever.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Rhino
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:53 am

DemonDuck wrote:It is just doing more of what you should have already done. Lean more off the bike to allow the bike to turn harder with the same lean angle. At least from your words that is what I am getting from it. Cant hit the link from work so that is the best I can do for you at the moment....... but I have done this at the track just for self preservation really.
This. You're just doing more of the same, but making sure you do it smoothly so you don't upset the suspension mid-corner.

I've done this for self-preservation on the track too. I didn't scooch over off the seat anymore for fear of upsetting the bike, but I basically pretended I was trying to drag my inside elbow. I got my upper body really low and over. It was probably going from my half-assed body positioning to proper body positioning, but whatever it was it helped. The bike went from "oh crap I'm not going to make this corner" to a smooth carve.