Dragonfly
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 36

Rear brake or Not?

Post by Dragonfly » Tue May 07, 2013 1:12 pm

Curious,
Everyone says don't use the rear brake it will lock-up.
How many of y'all use the rear brake? Or maybe, a better question should be, when do you use the rear brake?

Do you use the rear break in conjunction with the front brake? Only the rear brake? Only on the street? Only on the track? Never?

Do you use it to actually Stop? Or to keep from rolling/moving? Or to set the suspension? Or to steer with the rear tire?

I find that on the street I rarely use the rear brake, unless its an emergengy braking situation (I use both front and rear) or I stop on an incline, or horsing around doing stoppies. On the track I use the rear brake to what people call "setting (settling) the suspension" and if I run off (always remember never use the front brake when your in the weed,or sand ,or mud you get the picture).

When entering a turn you apply front brake and load (weight transfer) the front tire, this gives the front tire traction for steering into and thru the turn when balanced properly with lean angle. Too much brake and too much lean angle and you go down. Problem with this is the majority of the weight is now on the front tire with lean angle added to it. It's hard to modulate brake and lean angle and throttle all at the same time. and you have very little weight on the rear tire which has all the power. The power to drive you into, thru and out of the turn. Distributing braking force and traction threshold over two tires is better than just one.

I have found that if I drag the rear brake slightly after corner entry, light pressure not enough to stop but barely enough to slow down (you should feel yourself slowing) it transfers some weight to the rear tire, while keeping the front loaded. That weight keeps the chain taut so when you roll on the throttle aggressively as you apex (begin your drive out of the turn) it doesn't violently jerk the bike forward and it also keeps the front end from shootin up into the sky (mostly, not a guarantee). If done properly what you loose in speed you gain in momentum.

I haven't seen too many people do this at the track, with the exception of level 3 and racers. I mostly see the ones who only use front brake heavy after long straight and the rear tire comes up off the ground, and it looks like they're fight to maintain control of the bike, You know guys that "park it in the corner". Fewer are the ones who use too much rear brake and slide sideways into a turn looking like MotoGP riders.

Which one are you?

Don't be afraid to use the rear brake.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Not all who wander are lost"

Grinner
Achievement count: 25

Re: Rear brake or Not?

Post by Grinner » Tue May 07, 2013 1:32 pm

Front and rear all the time. Cant explain as to detail because my brain is handling that while Im busy with other controls.
:D
Copper K3SV650S & K3SV1000S
Enjoy your Life...Don't Die Young Feeling Old When You Can Die Old Feeling Young!!
"Grinner is carrying the Black man-card, aka he has aquired enough man points his card is upgraded to the top teir." - fixxervi6

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Tue May 07, 2013 1:35 pm

I use the hell out of the rear brake

When two up, the rear brake helps keep the bike from lurching forward as much, with the extra weight over the rear wheel I can mash the hell out of it and slow down quick without pitching the passenger forward hard.

In bad traction conditions I use rear only, aka run off, find a magic pile of gravel in my stopping area etc.

On the street when doing a normal roll up stop I use both, helps me stay relaxed with no need to transfer weight onto my wrists or grip the tank as hard, it also helps save the front pads.

I also use it to test pavement, if I'm unsure of the grip sometimes I'll see how much braking I can apply before I start to slide using the rear. Usually do that when it's cold out.

On the track, I only use the rear brake when my fronts are fading bad, I'll rear brake early (sometimes before I close the throttle) so rear brake, throttle close, start to load the front and release the rear, it makes the bike turn "funny" so I try to avoid it. Usually under heavy braking my rear tire is "dragging" with the engine braking even with a slipper so I don't touch the rear brake at all under maximum braking.

I have heard of people only ever using front - ever - and I wonder why.
K1600

DLSGAP
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 0

Post by DLSGAP » Tue May 07, 2013 1:51 pm

Depends on the situation. But yeah I use both
Wear your gear... I'd rather sweat than bleed.
Current bike:
CBR954RR

Former bikes
'87 YSR
' 92 CBR 600F2
'91 ZX7
' 92 ZX7RR
'94 ZX7RR
' 98 ZX7R
'07 ZX10R
' 11 FZ8

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Track Instructor
Achievement count: 42

Post by shilka99 » Tue May 07, 2013 2:01 pm

With a passenger I use the rear brake only. Makes the ride much smoother and much more comfortable for them. On the track I once lost a pad from the rear brake and went 1 second per lap faster in the next race. Since then I have tried my best to ignore the rear at all times but i notice I use it occasionally - like wheelie hill at TWS and coming out of Turn 6 at ECR. And then there are the emergency braking situations where the rear is skipping over the ground... Grinner can atest to that...
Shaun in McKinney
RGV250|520SX/SMR|RSV4 Factory

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Tue May 07, 2013 2:33 pm

I rarely ever use the rear brake on the track except at ECR coming off the long straights. On the street, I use the rear brake when stopping, in traffic, etc. Obviously if I'm up on the balls of my feet I've got to do the initial braking with my front brakes until I move my foot.
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

sckego
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice

Post by sckego » Tue May 07, 2013 2:39 pm

Times I use the rear brake:

Extremely wet/snowy conditions
On dirt (includes dirt roads, dirty shoulders, track run-off, etc)
Extremely steep downhills where it feels like using the front will stoppie you over the bars
While stopped on a slight incline and I don't feel like holding the front brake
While loosening the lugnuts on an SSSA bike

I think that's about it...
Kegan "Glowstick"
'12 MTS1200ST - '15 CB500F - AFM #895 - AMA #3283468 - IBA #41999

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Tue May 07, 2013 2:48 pm

I guess I'll elaborate, when in traffic I mean the slow traffic. That way I can fine tune when between 5-10mph by giving the bike enough gas to not have to feather the clutch, but braking enough with the rear brake to not have to stop go stop go stop go
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Tue May 07, 2013 3:42 pm

I rarely use it. The most I do is coming to a stop with bad asphalt and by that I also mean bumpy. And two up does make things smoother
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Tue May 07, 2013 3:46 pm

I use to use both all the time, every time. Since getting on the track and pushing it hard I find I use it less and less, almost never on the street anymore and typically only at the end of long straights under really hard braking. Strange, I use to be pretty proud of myself for consistantly using both, not sure when exactly I changed.

I even did a trackday once with no rear brake. Things did get a little interesting when I ran off the end of the straight into Big Bend though.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

Grinner
Achievement count: 25

Post by Grinner » Tue May 07, 2013 6:38 pm

Shaun/RC30FAN wrote:With a passenger I use the rear brake only. Makes the ride much smoother and much more comfortable for them. On the track I once lost a pad from the rear brake and went 1 second per lap faster in the next race. Since then I have tried my best to ignore the rear at all times but i notice I use it occasionally - like wheelie hill at TWS and coming out of Turn 6 at ECR. And then there are the emergency braking situations where the rear is skipping over the ground... Grinner can atest to that...
Heheheheheh....yeeeaaahhhh. I will say that being I am not on the track (on the bike) to beat everyone, I just make sure and keep using both so that when the time comes to need both, Im a Chatty Kathy!
I love my litte beeyoch!
:D
Copper K3SV650S & K3SV1000S
Enjoy your Life...Don't Die Young Feeling Old When You Can Die Old Feeling Young!!
"Grinner is carrying the Black man-card, aka he has aquired enough man points his card is upgraded to the top teir." - fixxervi6

El Diabro
Achievement count: 18

Post by El Diabro » Wed May 08, 2013 7:37 pm

I tend to use both one the street and on the track. Street I use mostly front and then some rear...on the track, I'm on the front brake and only use the rear if I feel like I need to keep the back down
Who all seen the Leprechaun say YEAH!!!!

'06 Busa *aka The Big Girl*
'05 GSXR 750 *aka Baby Gixxer*

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Sun May 12, 2013 3:25 am

I never use my rear brake.... but then on my bike the rear is applied automatically when I use the front brake. They call it a Partially integral brake. Unless I turn off my ABS.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold