Cresson 1.7MI CW July 6th

Post up RideSmart events and Trackday raffles here
LonestarCBR
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 32

Re: Cresson 1.7MI CW July 6th

Post by LonestarCBR » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:52 am

Well, if they give out black flags for missing "x's" then most everyone I rode with on my first day wouldn't have been getting them fairly regularly throughout the day.
~ Terry
'12 Speed Triple 1050 ABS, '07 GSX-R750 (track)
Happiness isn't around the corner, it IS the corner.
Anybody can jump a motorcycle. The trouble begins when you try to land it. EK

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:53 am

Lean more?
~ Terry

Striple
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Expert
Achievement count: 42

Post by Striple » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:08 pm

The only reason why anyone should be black-flagged at a track day is a safety issue, like there is something wrong with your bike or riding that could be dangerous. Missing an 'X' (which is subjectively placed to begin with) or running off are simply mistakes that happen, and shouldn't be used as reasons to punish people. I agree that minimizing crashes is a good goal to have, but the approach to reach that goal is a bit questionable.
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:55 pm

I'm ok with a black flag/required hot pit after a run off. If nothing else it give the rider a minute to catch their breath and the marshal to do a quick once over on the bike.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

JTChiTown
Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 7

Post by JTChiTown » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:01 pm

Yeah. It is a teaching tool, and the black flag can help get you alerted to a safety issue a lot quicker than an instructor can reach you. It really bothered me that I would get in trouble for being on line and "passing" someone who went way wide and slowed way up. I had to grab the brakes very hard a couple of times to keep from passing someone not because I was going that fast, just that they were soooo far off line. They were very liberal in the morning with those flags, and the guy on the MV got reamed for doing an inside pass through rattlesnake, but I saw it from two bikes back and probably would have done the same thing. Shit, the guy in front of me and I nearly came to a stop to keep from passing this guy for how slow and wide he was.
Jeff

"Drive fast, attract Cops; Drive faster, attract Sponsors"

Striple

Post by Striple » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:07 pm

Yeah, there are plenty of situations where an inside pass is the safest approach. I'd rather get black-flagged than put myself or someone else at risk.
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

Rhino
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:35 am

Ah, the joys of L1 early in the season.

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 22

Post by Telomere » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:40 pm

Valentina wrote:I got black flagged once. Apparently cos I missed an X in turn one at the 1.3miles track... Huh I thought black flags are for passing... Well rules are rules...and I dislike rules... :-o
Oh well! I'm glad yall had fun!
That is ridiculous. I have corner worked for RS before and they never made us black flag someone for not hitting the X's. I wonder if the corner worker did it just because they thought they could. Idiots.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Striple

Post by Striple » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:47 pm

Telomere wrote:
Valentina wrote:I got black flagged once. Apparently cos I missed an X in turn one at the 1.3miles track... Huh I thought black flags are for passing... Well rules are rules...and I dislike rules... :-o
Oh well! I'm glad yall had fun!
That is ridiculous. I have corner worked for RS before and they never made us black flag someone for not hitting the X's. I wonder if the corner worker did it just because they thought they could. Idiots.
Ridesmart was doing that at the 1.3-mile track once, after there had been a particularly nasty crash. Dave ordered the corner workers to blackflag those riders who were missing the Xs. Can you imagine how embarrassed the marshal must have been? "So I hear you've been missing the X in T3. Try to hit it next time!" :spank: :BangingHead:

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:10 pm

Yeah, I can see that. Would the track marshall actually do that or would they tell Dave that it isn't logical for that (I think Candace would tell Dave no). A lot of noobs, won't hit the X. They are learning the line so they aren't going to hit the X the majority of the time out there. Black flagging over not hitting the X's is illogical to me. Now, black flag them if they run off. I am cool with that because it helps the rider realize what they did wrong and hopefully learn from it. To me, you can't treat the majority of the riders out as professionals who know how to hit every X in every turn on the track. Black flagging a rider for this is illogical since they most likely are still learning OR passing someone on the outside.

Striple

Post by Striple » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:17 pm

I don't know how the marshal handled that particular situation, but it must have been weird and embarrassing for everyone involved. Just strange.

Stardog
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 21

Post by Stardog » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:23 am

Telomere wrote:Now, black flag them if they run off. I am cool with that because it helps the rider realize what they did wrong and hopefully learn from it.
You just don't want Matt and me to get any track time at all do you? :x
DR650
Have cool, will travel

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:32 am

Yeah, I think I have to join that group too. We were instructed to report a run-off to the track marshall, he asked "why did you run off", I gave him my assessment, he said "okay, slow down and be careful out there". The run-off itself was all of the discipline I needed quite honestly. I do take a lot of pride is running off and staying up however. :-D
~ Terry

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:06 am

Running off, jumping a ditch, and saying "hi" to some friends at the fence...that's a run off :D
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:09 am

That's showing off.
~ Terry

Valentina
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 0

Post by Valentina » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:28 am

Striple wrote:I don't know how the marshal handled that particular situation, but it must have been weird and embarrassing for everyone involved. Just strange.
Yeah the Marshall first didn't even know why they black flagged me... I was looking at my bike all over trying to find pieces that could have come off but didn't see anything I was totally confused and then he says oh I think you were black flagged cos u missed an X in turn 1... They told us to black flag the people who missed that X... I was like ok... I try not to miss next time then... Although I think the better u ride the further u look out... I found it difficult looking the Xes on the ground and look way ahead and above ...oh well I guess I will be stucked in level 1 for the rest of my life:) watching for x es:) :SideSplittingLaughter:
Addicted to X files anyway... :shock:
Stop chasing shadows just enjoy the ride.

Striple

Post by Striple » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:14 am

Don't worry about it. I think all of their policies are certainly well-intended, even if some of them seem ridiculous and annoying. I rarely run off (I'm a make-it or break-it kinda guy :D), but having to go to see the marshal to have him/her let me know that I made a mistake after I nearly crapped my pants seems a bit redundant.

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:17 am

Stardog84 wrote:
Telomere wrote:Now, black flag them if they run off. I am cool with that because it helps the rider realize what they did wrong and hopefully learn from it.
You just don't want Matt and me to get any track time at all do you? :x
I have ran off several times before too. Ask Fixxer...he reamed me for speeding up along the fence (at Cresson) instead of slowing down. I was trying to merge in with moving traffic...