Post up RideSmart events and Trackday raffles here
LonestarCBR
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 32

Re: Cresson, July 16 & 17

Post by LonestarCBR » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:23 am

Good...I need someone to attend class for me. :D
~ Terry
'12 Speed Triple 1050 ABS, '07 GSX-R750 (track)
Happiness isn't around the corner, it IS the corner.
Anybody can jump a motorcycle. The trouble begins when you try to land it. EK

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 22

Post by Telomere » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:40 am

Tooner wrote:I plan on showing up to learn the routine, see how to prep the bikes, hopefully get my bike looked at to see if it passes(I'm in the level 1 class on Aug 13) and with luck get in a parade lap in.
You will need to ask Dave for about a parade lap. They only do a parade lap IF enough people show up wanting one. IF they do a parade lap, a few instructors will do it during lunch.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Tooner
Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider

Post by Tooner » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:19 pm

You will need to ask Dave for about a parade lap. They only do a parade lap IF enough people show up wanting one. IF they do a parade lap, a few instructors will do it during lunch.
Good to know, thanks!
Shane
Current ride and track: 2009 CBR 1000rr
2018 crf450r

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:31 pm

I am bringing Fixxer lunch tomorrow from Firehouse subs. If anyone else would like lunch from Firehouse subs then you need to give me your order. You can give Fixxer the cash for lunch after I deliver it. I plan on being at the track with lunch by 11am.

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:12 pm

IMG_6310.JPG
Last edited by LonestarCBR on Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ Terry

JeffStrom
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 7

Post by JeffStrom » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:21 pm

Dropped off the black Ninja right next to Terry's canopy. Opposite side from his trailer.
Jeff - Street Triple 675R / GSX-R600 / F850GSA

Ducati Doom
Achievement count: 0

Post by Ducati Doom » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:44 pm

All cleaned up and ready to meet y'all tomorrow!
Attachments
1468633415267671194146.jpg

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:53 pm

I propped up the other canopy in the grass right behind that one, I think it's days are done.
K1600

turismon
Ride Leader in Training
Ride Leader in Training
Achievement count: 7

Post by turismon » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:33 pm

Ducati Doom wrote:All cleaned up and ready to meet y'all tomorrow!
That thing just looks beast like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Daytona 675r
Retired: Ninja 650R

Ducati Doom

Post by Ducati Doom » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:38 pm

Turismon wrote:

Well it is a lovely Ford Pick-Up Truck but I don't think I'd call it a beast.. :D

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:46 pm

Ducati Doom wrote:
Turismon wrote:

Well it is a lovely Ford Pick-Up Truck but I don't think I'd call it a beast.. :D
Because it meows and doesn't roar? :SideSplittingLaughter:

Pooty

Post by Pooty » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:40 am

[quote="LonestarCBR"]Is anyone leading a riding, or is there a group (small or large) getting together just to come out and check-out / watch / hang-out? We often have that happen on track days.

If so, that would be a good opportunity for Ducati Doom to get hooked-up and meet some peeps.

I tried to get something going
Tried to judge interest first since I knew only three
ride leaders were available. More than likely-one
This is why no route-or lunch location-time ksu
-was posted
And no response

Ducati Doom

Post by Ducati Doom » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:26 am

It's fine I still had a good time yesterday at the track.

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:56 am

Pooty wrote:
LonestarCBR wrote:Is anyone leading a riding, or is there a group (small or large) getting together just to come out and check-out / watch / hang-out? We often have that happen on track days.

If so, that would be a good opportunity for Ducati Doom to get hooked-up and meet some peeps.

I tried to get something going
Tried to judge interest first since I knew only three
ride leaders were available. More than likely-one
This is why no route-or lunch location-time ksu
-was posted
And no response
Probably should have checked this thread first since the most active RL was at track :) then hit up the other ones.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:35 am

K1600

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:28 am

So guys how did Sunday go?
K1600

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:54 am

First, Ducati Doom nice to meet you. Jeff, Eric, Becky and Rick, glad to have company on Saturday. Chris and Jim, good to see you there. My dad and nephew stopped by for a while. I hope I'm not forgetting someone. I was a man on an deserted island Sunday.

Saturday, I was exhausted to start with, and with the new-to-me-bike, it was a struggle for a couple of sessions. By late morning, and the afternoon I was getting more comfortable. I was one of the slowest in L2 for sure, but I wasn't hauling down the straights, but working on my lines, TRYING to work on body position, and just getting used to GP shift and trying to get my head and neck where they needed to be. It's way different than on the S3.

A good night of sleep on Saturday helped a ton. Sunday was "clockwise", and a first for me. About 1/2 of the track is significantly different in this direction I would guess. Instead of corners opening up like they do on the CCW (normal) direction, then tightening in many instances. So downhill, off-camber, decreasing radius was the rule of the day. And it was fun.

Body position was coming easier on Sunday, speed was up, and I was no longer the slow guy...especially in the turns. There were a lot of literbikes in the class, and a lot of high speeds down the straights, only to slow in the corners. But not nearly as bad L1 was for me personally. There were a few L3 guys in L2 because L3 was full of racers practicing for CMRA next weekend. They even had a "mock race" at lunch.

I manned up and swallowed hard, mostly because I would have got my ass kicked, but I wanted to punch a couple of these guys. They were obviously treading all over the loosy/goosy six foot rule, which I guess is okay. I don't panic, it just surprised me and ticked me off a little. One did it, rode in hard to a bunch of us, then didn't go any farther. No wave "sorry" or anything. He's the one that pissed me off the most. Two others got even closer though, and I think one I rubbed elbows with, but he was very apologetic, so it was cool.

Sunday was very crowded, many more people than on Saturday. It was thinning out on Sunday afternoon, and after almost two days of 100 degrees in leathers and working hard, I found my last session I was getting really sloppy, almost had a run-off, and called it quits and skipped the last two sessions. I hated to do it, but I really hated to be "that guy".

The most challenging corner I found on Sunday was Little Bend, strangely enough. It really tightens up on exit, opposite of the normal direction. About 1 of 5 laps I'd get it close to right. "Paw-Paw" (Pat), our lead instructor for L2 for the weekend commented that it was his toughest corner, which I found strange when he made the comment. Little did I know...

I'll post some pics, and an update on my tire choice and how they performed later.
~ Terry

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:32 am

Interesting, I don't remember Little Bend being an issue that direction. The 3 turns on the back were the big learning curve for me. Once you get over the fear factor, those 3 turns can be taken quite quickly accelerating into them.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:00 pm

The only issue I had with the 3 turns was getting whoa'd enough for the sharp downhill decreasing radius right-hander, and that was more of a perception that actual issue. It's blind, so your survival instinct tries to take over. Otherwise, it seemed to flow better for me CW. I still feel a little disjointed the other direction, where everything happens much smoother going at it backwards. I THINK I was just carrying too much momentum into Little Bend, or too little trust. Every now and again I'd get it right and it felt right when I did.

I really like wagon wheel and rattlesnake CW also. Kind of like the 3 turns, I just seemed to be smoother. That being said, next time CCW may feel better now that my Suzuki saddle time is increasing a little.
~ Terry

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:06 pm

LonestarCBR wrote:First, Ducati Doom nice to meet you. Jeff, Eric, Becky and Rick, glad to have company on Saturday. Chris and Jim, good to see you there. My dad and nephew stopped by for a while. I hope I'm not forgetting someone. I was a man on an deserted island Sunday.

Saturday, I was exhausted to start with, and with the new-to-me-bike, it was a struggle for a couple of sessions. By late morning, and the afternoon I was getting more comfortable. I was one of the slowest in L2 for sure, but I wasn't hauling down the straights, but working on my lines, TRYING to work on body position, and just getting used to GP shift and trying to get my head and neck where they needed to be. It's way different than on the S3.

A good night of sleep on Saturday helped a ton. Sunday was "clockwise", and a first for me. About 1/2 of the track is significantly different in this direction I would guess. Instead of corners opening up like they do on the CCW (normal) direction, then tightening in many instances. So downhill, off-camber, decreasing radius was the rule of the day. And it was fun.

Body position was coming easier on Sunday, speed was up, and I was no longer the slow guy...especially in the turns. There were a lot of literbikes in the class, and a lot of high speeds down the straights, only to slow in the corners. But not nearly as bad L1 was for me personally. There were a few L3 guys in L2 because L3 was full of racers practicing for CMRA next weekend. They even had a "mock race" at lunch.

I manned up and swallowed hard, mostly because I would have got my ass kicked, but I wanted to punch a couple of these guys. They were obviously treading all over the loosy/goosy six foot rule, which I guess is okay. I don't panic, it just surprised me and ticked me off a little. One did it, rode in hard to a bunch of us, then didn't go any farther. No wave "sorry" or anything. He's the one that pissed me off the most. Two others got even closer though, and I think one I rubbed elbows with, but he was very apologetic, so it was cool.

Sunday was very crowded, many more people than on Saturday. It was thinning out on Sunday afternoon, and after almost two days of 100 degrees in leathers and working hard, I found my last session I was getting really sloppy, almost had a run-off, and called it quits and skipped the last two sessions. I hated to do it, but I really hated to be "that guy".

The most challenging corner I found on Sunday was Little Bend, strangely enough. It really tightens up on exit, opposite of the normal direction. About 1 of 5 laps I'd get it close to right. "Paw-Paw" (Pat), our lead instructor for L2 for the weekend commented that it was his toughest corner, which I found strange when he made the comment. Little did I know...

I'll post some pics, and an update on my tire choice and how they performed later.
And thanks to Tooner also, man I knew I was forgetting to mention someone.
~ Terry

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:08 pm

The FWMR compound...
IMG_6313.JPG
IMG_6312.JPG
Spending $40 with Roger at On Road / Off Road.
IMG_6311.JPG
~ Terry

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:34 pm

Tires, or Tyres if you prefer.

I've espoused my love of the Metzeler Interact Racetec tires that came on my Triumph. The are the K1 compound (actually K2 on the front now), and I never could make myself switch back to my normal Dunlops after riding these. No, the life isn't as long as some, but the grip was really, really well (on dry). I know some of you others had these as OEM, and switched due to longevity and maybe cost.

The track bike came with slicks, but I received a lot of feedback from many of you that I should consider a good track/street tire with the thought being I might not keep the heat generated high enough to make the slicks effective. So I went looking for that "just right" tire. Metzeler had since introduced the newer version of the tire I liked, to rave reviews on both traction and longevity improvements.

So I fitted the Metzeler Racetec RRs (K2 compound both ends) in the stock Suzuki sizes. Below are some wear pictures, and of course pretty even wear considering we switched directions between the two days. That being said, you can see I rode them to the absolute edge on the rear, and further than on the older Interacts...and nary a wobble or slip...no matter what stupid thing I managed to do. Point is, if you're looking for a really good track tire without going the slick route, I don't think you can do any better than these. On a side note, all of the trashy rubber I picked up is basically why I quit a little early on Sunday, I was getting sloppy and ran just short of the grass where a lot of car and bike rubber was collecting.
IMG_6314.JPG
IMG_6315.JPG
IMG_6316.JPG
IMG_6317.JPG
~ Terry

nitzer
Achievement count: 8

Post by nitzer » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:25 pm

My front Q3 always collects rubber like that. Rick...looks like there are a lot of guys in L2 that need to go back to L1 to learn the track lines again...
- Derek
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (SOLD)
2003 Suzuki SV650S (SOLD)
2008 Honda VFR 800 Interceptor (Street)

Winning hearts and minds...two the heart, one to the mind.

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:38 pm

Yeah, it was actually kind of comical at times, and while I screwed them up on occasion, I was at least making a concerted effort to follow the line THEN pick my speed up. It was interesting however...the instructors voiced a lot of different opinions about lines...maybe that's a L2 thing...in L1 it was much more "THIS is the line and you need to follow it" sort of deal.

I did the track ride on Sunday since it was the first time CW, and that helped a great deal.
~ Terry

Tooner
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Tooner » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:20 pm

Terry thanks for all the great info. Dang for a moment I felt like I was still under the radar(my comfort zone). Looking forward to next month!
Shane
Current ride and track: 2009 CBR 1000rr
2018 crf450r