ECR Sept 24th-25th

Post up RideSmart events and Trackday raffles here
Tooner
Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider

ECR Sept 24th-25th

Post by Tooner » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:32 am

I understand that the ECR track is not in the best condition, however if anyone is planning on Sat the 24th I will be in Level one. I drive a Black Honda Ridgeline and will be riding a Blue Yamaha R6....
Shane
Current ride and track: 2009 CBR 1000rr
2018 crf450r

soslow
Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 0

Re: ECR Sept 24th-25th

Post by soslow » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:11 am

I am working on it. 50/50 right now but will know for sure by tomorrow.

I see you are going to ride the R6... any word on the cbr braking issue?

update: can not make it.

Tooner
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Tooner » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:16 pm

soslow wrote: I see you are going to ride the R6... any word on the cbr braking issue?

Too bad you cant make it, maybe you can make Cresson Oct 30th 31st?

Ya I still am undecided on the brake issue on the CBR, It doesn't seem to be such a big deal on the street because I always ride with wider margins of error and the split second it takes to default to "normal" braking doesn't seem to be the problem it is at the track coming up on a turn where I need to drop speed NOW! I really love that bike so I may try to work with it myself or end up selling it.

I am trying hard to love the R6, but its going to take some time and maybe some different tires.
Shane
2018 crf450r

nitzer
Achievement count: 8

Post by nitzer » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:36 pm

I have a make up credit for the 31st. Not sure yet if I'm going to be there or not.
- Derek
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (SOLD)
2003 Suzuki SV650S (SOLD)
2008 Honda VFR 800 Interceptor (Street)

Winning hearts and minds...two the heart, one to the mind.

soslow
Club Member
Club Member

Post by soslow » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:33 am

Hey dude, saw your comments about the R6 in the other post---

I have ridden an 02 R6 more than a handful of times and was very impressed primarily with the way it steered. I bet if you get some good tires it will flick as well as you like. A squared off rear tire will destroy the handling of any bike.

check that your sag and set up is proper, if it isnt, it will squat down and make it more difficult to turn. If you still want more, lower the yokes on the fork tubes by 5mm or so. you can also raise the rear but I do not think your shock has ride height adjustability. you can still raise the rear by stacking washers on top of the clevis but be careful, things get flighty fast and I am pretty sure that bike does not have a damper. yell if you need a hand, I am local.

update 2: work is clear, will be there on saturday

Tooner
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Tooner » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:48 am

Soslow, Thanks that is good to hear about the R6, getting excited, see you tomorrow! I'm driving a Black Honda Ridgeline with a U-Haul trailer.
Shane
2018 crf450r

soslow
Club Member
Club Member

Post by soslow » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:53 am

black f150, same ratty zx7r you were running away from the other day.

JeffStrom
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 7

Post by JeffStrom » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:12 pm

Stopped by today to see just how bad the track was. I did a parade lap on the V-Strom and the surface looked pretty ratty. I had a GoPro mounted low so I'll take a look later. The other two can give more relevant opinions on it. Anyway... A guy in level 2 low sided his ZX-14, but wasn't really hurt thankfully (the guy parked next to Tooner). Said the slide was entirely on the track. Of course there was damage down the side of the bike including fairings, the peg, rear spool, and shift lever. Strangest thing. No real damage near the radiator but it was leaking. The guy starts it up and there is a hole the size of the tip of a ball point pen near the middle of the front of the radiator and it is shooting coolant at his front tire.

BTW: I think Tooner is going to have to make a post to "most recent purchase" in the near future.
Jeff - Street Triple 675R / GSX-R600 / F850GSA

Tooner
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Tooner » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:55 pm

WOW, OMG, WTF, and one "HOLY FU**!!! where did my left foot peg go? That was today in a nut shell!

I expected to have have at least some fun today at ECR..... I did not expect to struggle so much on a new track. I did not expect Roger, the suspension guy to make such drastic changes to the 2005 R6 I purchased a month ago(so glad he did). I did not realize how lazy I had become on my CBR 1000 and how much I used its higher torque and engine braking going into the turns and how much I was using the wrong brake(bad habit of mine), and wound up locking up the R6's rear tire no ABS. I did not realize how much I was using the CBR's power to make up for what I now realize are fair, to poor cornering skills that I need to work on.

I did not expect to feast on plate after plate of the humble pie, but I did. I did not expect to see so many people going down(probably only 5 or 6 really), I don't think anyone was transported by EMS, so that's good. I never expected to be leaving level one for quite some time but after today I may be happy to just make level 1 my home.

I thought my day was over when my third session was cut short by my left foot peg just snapping off in a corner but Jeff and the ZX-14 guy(mentioned above) moved my rear peg up front, GAME ON! And there was this other guy who was helping me left and right, practically holding my hand, Soslow??? Ya right, the only time you went slow was to wait for me when you were helping me with the lines. I'm pretty sure that instructor who was trying to video you who said he "spent most of the time trying to catch up with you" agrees.

I did not expect to have a total BLAST today, but ya that was a Shit Ton of FUN! Thanks Michael
Shane
2018 crf450r

soslow
Club Member
Club Member

Post by soslow » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:04 pm

You are very welcome Shane, I had a riot.

I had heard so many bad things about Eagles canyon but I really like it. The roller coaster elevation changes alone are worth the price of admission and the just fast enough straights are enough for me. The tarmac may be a tad bumpy but at my speed, only one spot was more than discomfort. sure, it's a bit dangerous but only broken bones dangerous, not get you killed everywhere dangerous so what the hell, live a little. Good flowing lines up and down the hills and through the valleys made each lap joy. I can not wait to get back out there and if the rumors of a face lift are true...

now i just need to get that piggy piggy of a bike I ride working properly.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:15 am

Peg falling off mid corner is a scary thought
K1600

Tooner
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Tooner » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:54 am

fixxervi6 wrote:Peg falling off mid corner is a scary thought
ya I think I now have a Post traumatic peg disorder! I'll be in a turn on the freeway and be wondering if my peg is about to abandon ship on me...
Shane
2018 crf450r