Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Intermediate Saturday October 15th

Post by fixxervi6 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:06 am

Meetup: Sonic on Clifford St. in White Settlement
Kick stands up: 8:30am
Ride Leader: Fixxervi6

This will be an intermediate pace ride. The pace on the country roads is what we call spirited and has a tendency to remain above posted speeds. On an Intermediate ride the ride leader will keep an eye on the group but is also focused on riding his/her own ride. Intermediate rides the riders are expected to be comfortable riding with the group and have good self control, allowing the ride leader to "relax" a bit.

Please be dressed appropriately: full face helmet, zip together mesh at a minimum (leathers recommended), appropriate motorcycle boots and gloves. Jeans are not appropriate protection for intermediate rides.

I don't have a route selected yet, I just know I have to get out on 2, going to try to make the air show later in the day hence the early departure, I want to get back to the metroplex as early as I can so I may not even throw a lunch on this route.
K1600

soslow
Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 0

Re: Intermediate Saturday October 15th

Post by soslow » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:10 pm

i will be there

toy752
Ride Leader in Training
Ride Leader in Training

Post by toy752 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:06 pm

Damn it I'm out, working
SV 650 track bike
Sure do miss this one 2015 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10r
Gone but not forgotten 2012 Ninja 1000

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider

Post by dufremle » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:38 am

Damn, out. Saturday is hazardous material drop off and I need to get rid of several tires and batteries. And used oil if they will take it.

And CoolAsIce will be there. :(

:SideSplittingLaughter:
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

soslow
Club Member
Club Member

Post by soslow » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:02 am

alright stop.

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:34 am

dufremle wrote:Damn, out. Saturday is hazardous material drop off and I need to get rid of several tires and batteries. And used oil if they will take it.

And CoolAsIce will be there. :(

:SideSplittingLaughter:
He said the ride will be a short one so you should have time to do both.

FYI, Pep Boys will take used oil.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer

Post by dufremle » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:33 am

It's only 9 to 11, and I'm not running all over town when I can do it all at one place.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

soslow
Club Member
Club Member

Post by soslow » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:36 am

If you are trying to get rid of motorcycle tires, you can call the big cat sanctuary in Bridgeport. the kitties like to play with them.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:37 am

I want to hit the air show so haul ass out and haul ass back is the idea, I haven't been on a bike in 3 week so I hope I haven't forgotten which side the throttle is on.

Going to try to hit adventurecross on Sunday so it makes the schedule tight.
K1600

Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 4

Post by 111 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:12 pm

I've been itching to ride but won't be able to make it. Have a vendor sponsored shooting event Saturday and then heading to Houston for work on Sunday.
Red on Black 12 GSXR 600

turismon
Ride Leader in Training
Ride Leader in Training
Achievement count: 7

Post by turismon » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:40 pm

Probably In
2014 Daytona 675r
Retired: Ninja 650R

soslow
Club Member
Club Member

Post by soslow » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:04 pm

Hey Rick
any word on our two boys?

got a messge from danny, he has a broken collar bone but is going to survive.

JeffStrom
Club Member
Club Member

Post by JeffStrom » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:02 pm

soslow wrote:Hey Rick
any word on our two boys?

got a messge from danny, he has a broken collar bone but is going to survive.
Wait. What? This calls for more information.
Jeff - Street Triple 675R / GSX-R600 / F850GSA

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:13 pm

Two downs, Danny has a broken collar bone in a few spots but he'll be fine, I must say he took that beating like a champ.

Randall got a couple of broken ribs and maybe a broken scapula, he'll be fine in time as well but he'll be dealing with some pain, his hospital stay will be a few days, but from what I understand it's "just to make sure" since all of the internal checks came back fine. When I talked to him in the hospital he was in fairly good spirits and his bike got picked up today.

The accidents do not appear to be related, two separate incidents in the same turn, no one collided or anything like that.

I did not witness but the overall gist is:

FM51 southbound in the the triple turn section both ran wide on the last turn in the last of 3 and ended up in the lose gravel on the shoulder, both low sided - literally the exact same spot as Terry.

This has to raise the question again, what is so special about that turn - it's not off camber, it's not decreasing radius, there's really nothing "special" about this turn yet there are multiple memorials in this exact spot and this is total of 3 riders we've had go off there so what is the catch?

My theory about why this particular section appears to be nasty when at first glance there is nothing special about it, again this is JUST my theory I could be wrong and I'm not shaking my fingers at anyone, it's just left me scratching my head about why this section that looks so innocent claims so many victims so I've been thinking about it:

1. Many if not most riders are not used to to a left/right/left transition in turning which can make a bike "feel" sluggish to change direction, when they get hit with a triple turn they may lose a little buffer on each turn which can cause a rider to tighten up (yall know that feeling, when it feels like your ass is trying to eat the seat on the bike and it simply doesn't want to turn), making the problem amplified until they find themselves out on the edge of the last turn and then your in trouble. My personal advice, practice being light "on top of the bike" and work on the knee to knee left/right/left transitions, I know of good sections on the 1.7, TWS, and ECR where this is a good place to practice this drill. As soon as you go rigid on the handle bars your in trouble and the bike won't want to turn because your fighting yourself, I think people get in trouble in the second turn and the last one just happens to be where you shoot out onto the shoulder and once your out there recovery is impossible in this section even if you were running full knobbies.

2. Lines. Many riders stick to the "outside inside outside" line on every turn, if you combine that approach with number 1 in a triple section at pace it's a recipe for disaster. I don't necessarily want people to follow my lines, I'm not running around with a 46 on my leathers and I'm not some kind of instructor or bad ass but some will notice I don't do outside inside outside all that much and I will appear to take some real screwball ass lines on the street. I may be a screwball but I am thinking about my lines in every turn and I'm thinking about what's after the turn and not "the drive out" that's why many times I'll try to aim my "exit drive out" mid road just in case.

3. Shit happens. Points 1 and 2 above increases the odds of point 3, but point 3 can happen any time, anywhere, to anyone and it will take any help it can get.

Lastly I'll throw my own name out as bearing some responsibility here. Yes, everyone controls their own machines, no I didn't cause the accident, no I didn't force anyone to do anything I get all that, I should have been more vigilant with my rule about allowing people along without first attending a moderate. I've upset many people by telling them they can't go in the past and I don't want to drive people away especially when I have no one posting up moderates but it's simply the right thing to do. Riding with people on moderates helps me gauge someones ability and get a sense of what spots may be trouble for some people, the triple section on FM51 is going down in my book as a serious trouble spot. I can only judge so much from the front and I don't even remember the last time I tailed a ride for me to watch and get a gauge for other peoples riding. That being said I'm not god, I have limited control, and there is point 3 above.

I really hope both of these guys get back on the horse and they don't let this keep them down.
K1600

toy752
Ride Leader in Training
Ride Leader in Training

Post by toy752 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:52 pm

Hope everyone heals quickly
SV 650 track bike

Tooner
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Tooner » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:31 am

Can anyone pinpoint on a map where this spot is on HWY 51? I was down close to where 51 runs into 67 a few months ago and witnessed a guy on a Harley go off in front of me in a corner that on my previous lap that morning hit my O Sh!t button. Mostly I would like to know so I can be sure to be on my A game at that corner and perhaps spread the word.
Shane
Current ride and track: 2009 CBR 1000rr
2018 crf450r

turismon
Ride Leader in Training
Ride Leader in Training

Post by turismon » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:42 am

2014 Daytona 675r

toy752
Ride Leader in Training
Ride Leader in Training

Post by toy752 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:45 am

Tooner wrote:Can anyone pinpoint on a map where this spot is on HWY 51? I was down close to where 51 runs into 67 a few months ago and witnessed a guy on a Harley go off in front of me in a corner that on my previous lap that morning hit my O Sh!t button. Mostly I would like to know so I can be sure to be on my A game at that corner and perhaps spread the word.

I would stay on your A game the whole time on 51
SV 650 track bike

JTChiTown
Club Member
Club Member

Post by JTChiTown » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:56 am

That turn is trickier than it appears. When you look at it from the overhead, you can see each turn in sequence headed south decreases radius each time. So after turn 1 and 2, you've got your confidence up, and then the 3rd turn tightens way up. Just enough to turn a little mistake into a big mistake.

Very similar to this turn we used to ride in college. https://www.google.com/maps/place/1448+ ... 89.2233723

If you go into 3D, you can see that tightening corner when heading east is significantly uphill. As you accelerate to overcome the hill, that turn suddenly closes way up. We had 2 or 3 riders go into the ditch there. It's a common mistake...

On a side note, the driveway at the top of the hill is where I got hit by a fellow rider, after passing 2 bikes in the ditch, and slowing to circle back and check on them, as one was still getting up.

Hope everyone heals up and gets back on 2. That's the best medicine IMO.
Jeff

"Drive fast, attract Cops; Drive faster, attract Sponsors"

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:03 am

JTChiTown wrote:That turn is trickier than it appears. When you look at it from the overhead, you can see each turn in sequence headed south decreases radius each time. So after turn 1 and 2, you've got your confidence up, and then the 3rd turn tightens way up. Just enough to turn a little mistake into a big mistake.

Very similar to this turn we used to ride in college. https://www.google.com/maps/place/1448+ ... 89.2233723

If you go into 3D, you can see that tightening corner when heading east is significantly uphill. As you accelerate to overcome the hill, that turn suddenly closes way up. We had 2 or 3 riders go into the ditch there. It's a common mistake...

On a side note, the driveway at the top of the hill is where I got hit by a fellow rider, after passing 2 bikes in the ditch, and slowing to circle back and check on them, as one was still getting up.

Hope everyone heals up and gets back on 2. That's the best medicine IMO.
They get tighter but none are a decreasing radius
K1600

Tooner
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Tooner » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:11 am

Thanks Chris. Heath I absolutely agree! In fact I may head down there Sunday for a few runs.
Shane
2018 crf450r

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:13 am

Tooner wrote:Thanks Chris. Heath I absolutely agree! In fact I may head down there Sunday for a few runs.
If your going alone I'd make sure you have someone knowing where your going and when you'll return.
K1600

Tooner
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Tooner » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:56 am

Good idea, with luck someone will PM me and lead the way!
Shane
2018 crf450r

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:01 am

Been awhile since I've been down 51, is there some elevation changes in the turns in question? If they are the turns I'm thinking of, I remember the elevation messing with me a little but never though the turns dangerous.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

turismon
Ride Leader in Training
Ride Leader in Training

Post by turismon » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:02 am

There is a minor rise then downhill but nothing drastic.
2014 Daytona 675r