New to riding, new to Fort Worth

Tell us a little about yourself and say hello to the gang. We would like to hear about who, what, and why you ride as well as how you found us.
Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Re: New to riding, new to Fort Worth

Post by Firewa11 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:43 pm

DarcShadow wrote:
Grinner wrote:There are no stoopid questions around our crew
Just stupid answers. :-)
And stupid people. :SideSplittingLaughter:
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:49 pm

Firewa11 wrote:
DarcShadow wrote:
Grinner wrote:There are no stoopid questions around our crew
Just stupid answers. :-)
And stupid people. :SideSplittingLaughter:
giving stupid answers :drool:
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

ahmad34
Achievement count: 0

Post by ahmad34 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:19 pm

Grinner wrote:first....Welcome...
second...as for the upgrades....2 piece leathers, boots, extra helmet (at the least), gloves, tires, stands, tools....ah heck...I could go on but I think you are probably getting the idea.

Lookin forward to meeting ya soon and dont be afraid to ask any and all questions here. There are no stoopid questions around our crew.....unless they come from fireblade!!!! :)
:D

LOL!!

Oops. My bad guys I didnt mean upgrades as in engine upgrades but more cosmetic and things that add stability i.e. traction control (worth getting?) Will definitely look pay the $30 for the suspension hopefully cycleworks can look at it when I change out my tires. I bought the bike used so it already has FE, exhaust, flush turn LEDS, but I maybe want to add tiny things like levers, HID, and that sort. I'm almost certain I want to get an integrated undertail light for my bike so hopefully someone out there with a CBR can help me pick the best one. This bike is plenty enough for me as a new rider in terms of power lol.

Already got the gear before I even bought the bike! Got 2 helmets and 2 jackets but no pants or boots. Still scouring the net for some closeout deals. I just got an almost new Shoei Norick X11 for $200!

haha no chance on selling my CBR for a Suzuki. My allegiance is Honda. I myself drive a civic and my 3 siblings have a civic as well. That makes my CBR the 5th honda vehicle in our family and hopefully my dad ditches my moms lumina for an accord soon lol.

Stupid med school. I want to ride right now! :cool:
The lazy man works twice as hard

ahmad34

Post by ahmad34 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:43 pm

second...as for the upgrades....2 piece leathers, boots, extra helmet (at the least), gloves, tires, stands, tools....ah heck...I could go on but I think you are probably getting the idea.

Lookin forward to meeting ya soon and dont be afraid to ask any and all questions here. There are no stoopid questions around our crew.....unless they come from fireblade!!!! :)

Okay I know you said no stupid questions but this question will probably challenge that.. What is the true purpose of a bike stand? Should I really get one? It sits in my garage and has almost no chance of being tipped over.
The lazy man works twice as hard

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:47 pm

Didn't realize there was an aftermarket traction control, me personaly I'd stay away from it. I don't like computers telling me what I can and can't do.

Other than flush mount lights I've never bothered to do anything cosmetic to my bikes. My first serious bike I cared about the looks but after that I was more to hell with the looks, how does it run. I put flush mounts on, and the main reason for that was to make it easier when going to track days, put a little tape over them rather than take them off. :)

Oh, and ditch the un necessary reflectors :-x
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

Jenson

Post by Jenson » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:00 pm

Welcome!
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That's why God created fast motorcycles, bubba." --Hunter S. Thompson
'02 F4i- Behold the awesome power of zip-ties.

sckego
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice

Post by sckego » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:24 pm

ahmad34 wrote: Okay I know you said no stupid questions but this question will probably challenge that.. What is the true purpose of a bike stand? Should I really get one? It sits in my garage and has almost no chance of being tipped over.
Makes it easier to clean and lube your chain, since you can just put it up on the stand and rotate the wheel. Otherwise, you have to just clean one section, roll the bike forward a foot, clean another section, etc, then do it again to lube it. You'll also need one if you want to take your wheels off to get new tires mounted; it's cheaper to just bring the wheels to a shop, rather then bring them the entire bike and have them remove the wheels. Finally, if you're planning on parking the bike for long periods and not moving it (like over the winter), it's good to be able to put them up on stands so that you're not hurting your tires by having weight on them without any rotation that entire time.
Kegan "Glowstick"
'12 MTS1200ST - '15 CB500F - AFM #895 - AMA #3283468 - IBA #41999

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:41 am

just on that note, you are cleaning/lubing your chain often arn't you? When i first started riding no one told me that was very important and i spent a long time in firewa11's garage trying to get it clean only to find out underneth all that dirt was rust and i was going to have to replace my chain much much sooner!
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

Grinner
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 25

Post by Grinner » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:08 pm

I just soooo love throwing randow grenades!!!!
Copper K3SV650S & K3SV1000S
Enjoy your Life...Don't Die Young Feeling Old When You Can Die Old Feeling Young!!
"Grinner is carrying the Black man-card, aka he has aquired enough man points his card is upgraded to the top teir." - fixxervi6

Valentina
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Valentina » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:18 pm

Welcome Ahmad!!!I have the same bike but a little bit older:)from 2005...I love it and i understand that u love it too...Enjoy riding with it.
Stop chasing shadows just enjoy the ride.

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:03 pm

Welcome hope to see ya at bikenight. Upgrades... I like the speedo healer but it only helps u know how fast your really going
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Jenson

Post by Jenson » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:39 pm

ahmad34 wrote:

LOL!!

Oops. My bad guys I didnt mean upgrades as in engine upgrades but more cosmetic and things that add stability i.e. traction control (worth getting?) Will definitely look pay the $30 for the suspension hopefully cycleworks can look at it when I change out my tires. I bought the bike used so it already has FE, exhaust, flush turn LEDS, but I maybe want to add tiny things like levers, HID, and that sort. I'm almost certain I want to get an integrated undertail light for my bike so hopefully someone out there with a CBR can help me pick the best one. This bike is plenty enough for me as a new rider in terms of power lol.

Already got the gear before I even bought the bike! Got 2 helmets and 2 jackets but no pants or boots. Still scouring the net for some closeout deals. I just got an almost new Shoei Norick X11 for $200!

haha no chance on selling my CBR for a Suzuki. My allegiance is Honda. I myself drive a civic and my 3 siblings have a civic as well. That makes my CBR the 5th honda vehicle in our family and hopefully my dad ditches my moms lumina for an accord soon lol.

Stupid med school. I want to ride right now! :cool:
Civics and CBRs are indeed superior> :mad:
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That's why God created fast motorcycles, bubba." --Hunter S. Thompson
'02 F4i- Behold the awesome power of zip-ties.

PinkFiddy
Achievement count: 12

Post by PinkFiddy » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:08 am

ok, first, let me apologize for being late to the game, but i've had a lot going on lately.

second, welcome there... uh... sir?

third, let me point out to you, that though there may be no dumb questions in our group, anything that comes from a man who has jokes made about his school for the pure entertainment of others will ALWAYS have dumb aggie questions. that's what you get i'm afraid. but i will let u off the hook a little since u are a dolphin's fan! yay! go miami! my grandfather was a HUGE supporter of them, as he and his wife are from there originally and my mom was a dolphin doll when she was younger. SO, being a MAJOR football junkie (as long as work's not interrupting), i'll let you play. Just know, that if you wander off into the randomness too far, I'll have to stick you over in the corner with Fireblade :-) (he's the one we tend to just smile and nod at for half the stuff that comes out of his mouth. I love you J :roll: )

so, anyways, welcome....

:o
I'm a big kid with the mentality of a Racoon & the energy of a Fiddy.
lalaloo!
Dolce Fonyete :D

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:13 am

Who are you exactly, PinkFiddy? Oh yeah, you're usually off in the corner with J, as we tend to smile and nod at... heh..
ImageImageImage

PinkFiddy
Achievement count: 12

Post by PinkFiddy » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:38 pm

hey, u're there too sometimes. u know u love the corner :D
I'm a big kid with the mentality of a Racoon & the energy of a Fiddy.
lalaloo!
Dolce Fonyete :D

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:01 pm

PinkFiddy wrote:hey, u're there too sometimes. u know u love the corner :D
Only if you're in the corner with me! :boobs:
ImageImageImage

WillK675
Achievement count: 35

Post by WillK675 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:43 pm

Firewa11 wrote:
PinkFiddy wrote:hey, u're there too sometimes. u know u love the corner :D
Only if you're in the corner with me! :boobs:

Nobody likes the corner after Firewa11 has been there.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:29 pm

:(
ImageImageImage

rydethis

Post by rydethis » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:51 pm

lol ^