new to the forum and bikes

Tell us a little about yourself and say hello to the gang. We would like to hear about who, what, and why you ride as well as how you found us.
jsleeper81
Achievement count: 0

Re: new to the forum and bikes

Post by jsleeper81 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:21 am

DemonDuck wrote:I just put the pirelli diablo rosso corsa's on my bike and I love them. I have had the Mich Pilot Power 2CT's and got about 10k out of them. I ride year around and put lots of miles on my bike but never went with a touring tire for a couple of reasons. I go to the tracks (drag and street) when I can. I like to corner and dont ever want to be in a situation where I say .... hmmm maybe I should have went with a better tire.
That's true seeing as we only have 2 tire I have hear a lot of good things about the pilot power as well as corsa's.
I was not sure which route to take this is my first bike so want to make sure I make the right decisions here precautions is all I have.
I really noticed last night how bad they are when I got off work I went to my wife's job as I was turning into the parking lot my back end got a little swirrly in a car that would be fine I'm used to that, but on a bike I felt like I almost had a low side.
I still have a lot of learning.

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:24 pm

With any tire I have had on the proper road and a little twist of the gas (and not much of one) in a turn and you can break the rear loose. At first it will make you tighten the but better than buns of steel but as time goes on and you get a feel for it you will loosen up. (I have a feeling ill see that statement again). I do like the Pirelli's better right now overall but I have no idea what the mileage will be.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

jsleeper81

Post by jsleeper81 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:44 am

DemonDuck wrote:With any tire I have had on the proper road and a little twist of the gas (and not much of one) in a turn and you can break the rear loose. At first it will make you tighten the but better than buns of steel but as time goes on and you get a feel for it you will loosen up. (I have a feeling ill see that statement again). I do like the Pirelli's better right now overall but I have no idea what the mileage will be.
:SideSplittingLaughter: That has got to be the greatest thing I have heard but your right it scared the daylights out of me.
in a car I am used to just countersteering, all I knew to do on the bike was what I learned in msf straighten the bike then slow down.
Although I thought I would drop it I can say without that class I probably would have, message to new riders I say take the class it has been a big improvement on what my capabilities are.

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:12 am

A 180, on a rim ment for a 160, isn't too terrible, and shouldn't cause you any real problems. The bike will obviously handle different then it would with a 160, but nothing too crazy that you have to be extra careful.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

jsleeper81

Post by jsleeper81 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:43 am

DarcShadow wrote:A 180, on a rim ment for a 160, isn't too terrible, and shouldn't cause you any real problems. The bike will obviously handle different then it would with a 160, but nothing too crazy that you have to be extra careful.
I was not sure cause every one that owns these bike tells me its a bad Idea to put a 180 on a 5" rim.
I like the way it feels I was just not sure about a size issue or if there even was one

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:06 pm

If you like the way it feels it should be fine.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

jsleeper81

Post by jsleeper81 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:06 am

yeah, it feels solid I was just basing it off what I have been told since I didn't know.

El Diabro
Achievement count: 18

Post by El Diabro » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:38 am

welcome to the boards
Who all seen the Leprechaun say YEAH!!!!

'06 Busa *aka The Big Girl*
'05 GSXR 750 *aka Baby Gixxer*

U-Turn
Achievement count: 31

Post by U-Turn » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:17 pm

Welcome to the club.
Tires. You have your tractor tires (for cruisers).
Sport-touring 2CT tires (Long life with high performance sides(for hard cornering)). Sport Tires (Diablos, Pilots, Dunlop Q2) and SuperSport tires (near race) and Race tires.
No motorcycle tire does it all - excellent traction AND long distance. Supposedly the ST tires are for that market and you may want to go with a ST style 2CT for this summer. Or a Sport designation tire for your first set.
Replacing both the front and back ~ the way a bike handles with a set of new rubber is a thing of beauty. Just drops into corners without hesitation and inspires confidence.
Your throttle control (lack of) can cause you to consume back tires faster than average. I do 2 back tires to 1 front.
Come out to BN and some rides, ask question - then you'll know.
Sitting on the couch, watching TV, isn't living.
Triumph 955

txt 8..223.0762 to ride.
-

crono782

Post by crono782 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:39 pm

welcome! i haven't been to a bike night since '07 (yikes!), but finally picked up a new bike and will be making it out tonight. hope to see a lot of faces there.
===============
excellence through
superior mediocrity.

jsleeper81

Post by jsleeper81 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:19 am

sorry guys internet was down.
I will be coming out to bike night the 4th thursday me and my wife have already planned unless an emergency comes up.
Thanks for all that info u-turn.
I will hope to be coming along for some rides this summer as well.
so Yeah see every one at the next bike night