Shy guy

Tell us a little about yourself and say hello to the gang. We would like to hear about who, what, and why you ride as well as how you found us.
Fero-X
Achievement count: 0

Shy guy

Post by Fero-X » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:49 am

My bike is my primary mode of transportation. Just after I paid off my truck it was stolen, and I can't afford another car right now, so I paid cash for a small bike and then learned to ride. I have nearly 3k miles on my Ninja 250r, and I can't ever imagine being a cager again. I enjoy feeling one with the road, the wind, and the sense of freedom. Though I like to ride fast, safety is my priority since I commute on my bike.

I have seen FWMR's site before, but left doubting if I would fit in or if they did anything worthwhile. After much urging and encouragement, I returned to this site for a closer look. I decided that I wanted to take the next step and join the forum upon seeing FWMR's involvement with charities for children.

I work as nurse with the Federal Bureau of Prisons which also makes me a correctional officer. Right now I care for cons, but someday I would like to focus on children.

Thanks DemonDuck for looking after me! And thanks FWMR for having me.

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 40

Re: Shy guy

Post by DemonDuck » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:41 am

Welcome to the boards ... glad you made it. Hope to see you on a ride or bikenight sometime.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Rhino
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:49 am

Welcome!

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:25 am

Welcome to the fold!
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:34 am

welcome. As far as community service, we are a pretty small group, but we do like to give back what we can. Alot of our community service is directed toward a charity that a club member has personal interest in, like the foster parent association and big cat care.

It sounds like you have probably never been on a group ride, right? That is where you will get the most out of being a part of the group. I commute daily, and occasionally ride on my own, but I really enjoy riding with others. It's alot like going to the movies. Sure, you can do it alone, but then you dont have anyone to talk to about it. You can tell someone about the movie, but its not the same if they havent seen it. Every ride is a new movie. It's much more fun going to see it with a large group of friends that you can talk to about it during every intermission (gas stops) and afterward while eating lunch!

Bike Night is this thursday if you can make it out. There will be a better post about it in a couple days (probably monday). Come on out and meet the group. And I hope to see you on a moderate ride soon.

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider

Post by dufremle » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:45 am

Welcome!
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:57 am

Howdy
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

Striple
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Expert
Achievement count: 42

Post by Striple » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:22 am

Welcome aboard!
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

Fero-X

Post by Fero-X » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:33 am

I'm pleasantly surprised at how fast people responded. I've ridden in a few small packs that spontaneously form and last only briefly on the highway. It was cool, so I'm sure an actually "ride" would be much better. However, as I told DemonDuck, I work every Thursday and Saturday, so I don't foresee heavy involvement in group rides, but perhaps I'll be sick one Thursday so I could join yall. And that was a good analogy comparing rides to movies. I live near Eagle Mountain Lake, and there are a lot of roads for riding, but it was way better the one time I road with someone and we stopped for burgers at one of those lakeside joints.

Right now, as DemonDuck knows, I trying to learn better corning technique on the road, so I can take turns faster and safer. I also want to take the advanced safety course, but I'm finding that it is rarely offered, if at all. Also, I need to remove my fairings some time this summer and perform some basic maintenance. I have the service manual; I've seen step by step photos on the web, yet removing the fairings still seems quite intimidating!

Enough about me! So it seems that yall have mastered the road and have since moved on to the track? I bet thats really fun.

NickS

Post by NickS » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:42 am

Welcome! You found a very knowledgeable group, some good riders.
'08 Kawasaki Concours 14
'10 Kawasaki Z1000

Dragonfly
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by Dragonfly » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:12 pm

Welcome!
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Not all who wander are lost"

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:58 pm

bike nights are just for getting to know each other and hanging out together, so you arent missing a ride on thursdays, but we can set some rides up for sundays. they dont all have to occur on saturdays.

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:06 pm

Usually about once a year someone host a maintenance party where we work on each others bike and show you how to change oil brakes and drink beer. Don't be afraid to ask for help even on simple tihngs, everyone has to start somewhere.
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by DemonDuck » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:31 pm

milesmiles wrote:Usually about once a year someone host a maintenance party where we work on each others bike and show you how to change oil brakes and drink beer. Don't be afraid to ask for help even on simple tihngs, everyone has to start somewhere.

Very true ... Miles had to be taught how to drink to start with.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck

2000 SV650 Track bike
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:57 pm

DemonDuck wrote:
milesmiles wrote:Usually about once a year someone host a maintenance party where we work on each others bike and show you how to change oil brakes and drink beer. Don't be afraid to ask for help even on simple tihngs, everyone has to start somewhere.

Very true ... Miles had to be taught how to drink to start with.
HA! I'm sure i could teach you a thing or two about drinking old man! :mad:
The world needs Miles

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by DemonDuck » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:47 pm

I will have to take you up on this for sure. I might be out of practice but I spent the better part of my USMC days building up a great tolerance to adult beverages. Just gotta find a time to do this ... might make my brother drive my truck and DD one night.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck

2000 SV650 Track bike
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:21 pm

Fero-X wrote:Enough about me! So it seems that yall have mastered the road and have since moved on to the track? I bet thats really fun.
I'd argue there's no such thing as mastering either. :D

We've got all kinds in the club, from new riders to former racers. Me personally, I consider the road and the track two completely different things. I'm certainly no master of road riding, but I've started doing track days through Ride Smart and learning that completely new set of skills. There's a little cross-over, but I try to leave the track at the track.

mahart
Achievement count: 8

Post by mahart » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:09 pm

Welcome aboard.

You and I need one other person to be able to get TCC NW to offer the ERC.
Revved up like a douche.

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:17 pm

Welcome. Oh, and taking the plastics off is easy...it's the glueing them back together and putting them on that's the hard part. HA! Seriously though, other then the occasional tab that you can't see taking plastics off is rather easy. Often times the basics, changing oil and filter, can be done with out removing the plastics.

Feel free to ask any questions, we have a couple of guys that have or have had a 250, and a ton of others that will gladdly offered advise (may or may not be good advise :) )
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:16 pm

I have a 250r in the garage that I rebuilt after it took a flip flop down the road, I figured it was the best way to learn to work on stuff because I didn't have to worry about breaking anything :-)

Just tear into it, it only goes back together one way so its hard to mess that up!
K1600

PinkFiddy
Achievement count: 12

Post by PinkFiddy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:17 pm

welcome "shy guy" Fero-X.

no need to be shy here. anything you want to know just ask. My boy (bf) Grinner (:D) is one of the knowledgeable ones to go to. or Meat of Snail, Darc, for the track, or Dragonfly for bikes - the others previously mentioned as well. (WillK isn't bad either, just watch out for "superman" Sauter, and Fireblade and you'll be good to go.)

Hope to meet you sometime. I'm stuck with lots of homework for summer school and work but I try to get out when I can. Stick close to DD and you'll be okay. Hope you had a good weekend and happy father's day if it applies, and welcome aboard.

:o
I'm a big kid with the mentality of a Racoon & the energy of a Fiddy.
lalaloo!
Dolce Fonyete :D

sauter0966

Post by sauter0966 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:37 am

Welcome, hope to meet you soon
:icon_woohoo:

2track
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 21

Post by 2track » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:15 am

Welcome !

WillK675

Post by WillK675 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:29 am

Welcome to the boards. Hope you can make it out to meet us sometime soon.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

Grinner
Achievement count: 25

Post by Grinner » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:52 am

Welcome!
:D
Copper K3SV650S & K3SV1000S
Enjoy your Life...Don't Die Young Feeling Old When You Can Die Old Feeling Young!!
"Grinner is carrying the Black man-card, aka he has aquired enough man points his card is upgraded to the top teir." - fixxervi6