Rookie

Tell us a little about yourself and say hello to the gang. We would like to hear about who, what, and why you ride as well as how you found us.
DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 40

Re: Rookie

Post by DemonDuck » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:32 pm

Yea I thought it was great that she is so quick to jump to buying and now repairing.... I think she is hooked before even having a license.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Rhino
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:32 pm

Rule #1 of electrical problems with starting the bike--replace the battery. Always. It's the cheapest, easiest thing you can do.

I can't tell you the number of times I've heard of people replacing alternators in their car when they just had a toasted battery.

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by DemonDuck » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:25 pm

I hope that is all this ends up being. Only thing that makes me think anything different is the bike died while I was riding it which should have nothing to do with the battery. Once started it should run off the stator alone.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck

2000 SV650 Track bike
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Kess

Post by Kess » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:37 pm

Firewa11 wrote:My first bike was an '06 Katana 750 (pretty much the exact same bike with a slightly bigger motor). If you have any questions or need any help, let me know. I have some spare front blinker lens covers in a box in the garage if you ever need them.

Yes once I get a feel for the bike and get some what used to riding I will take you up on that offer. Much appreciated
DemonDuck wrote:Yea I thought it was great that she is so quick to jump to buying and now repairing.... I think she is hooked before even having a license.

I see no need in paying someone else to do something that I can do myself.

I guess you could say I'm already hooked... everytime I see it can't help but wanna ride... should have a license by the end of the month take the driving course Aug 20 & 21
"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas."
-Davy Crockett

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:02 am

DemonDuck wrote:I hope that is all this ends up being. Only thing that makes me think anything different is the bike died while I was riding it which should have nothing to do with the battery. Once started it should run off the stator alone.
Not true. My bike had a bad battery and would die when I was going around turns (slow speed) or comming to a stop. The stator only does well when you are about like 4-5k or higher, below that you are also using battery juice.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:05 am

Blizzard_1708 wrote:
DemonDuck wrote:I hope that is all this ends up being. Only thing that makes me think anything different is the bike died while I was riding it which should have nothing to do with the battery. Once started it should run off the stator alone.
Not true. My bike had a bad battery and would die when I was going around turns (slow speed) or comming to a stop. The stator only does well when you are about like 4-5k or higher, below that you are also using battery juice.
If you look at the raw power stators and other generators produce its real choppy, not clean, batteries flatten the spikes and dips out.

batteries are required for modern vehicles to run.
K1600

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by DemonDuck » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:09 am

Really. Well then like I said I hope that is what is wrong with it. I could have sworn I saw someone take the battery out of a car while it was running and it still ran. Was when I was a kid though and I could have been mistaken.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck

2000 SV650 Track bike
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:11 am

DemonDuck wrote:Really. Well then like I said I hope that is what is wrong with it. I could have sworn I saw someone take the battery out of a car while it was running and it still ran. Was when I was a kid though and I could have been mistaken.
Older cars would do this, newer ones that are all computer driven have the issue, computers don't like power thats all choppy it pisses em off.

In the old ones if all the power had to do was supply juice to the coil and radio it was all good.

To expand and some of you will know more than me on this:

Digital circuits need 3 things to work, Hi state (on) Low state (off) and a clock. When power dips and spikes it can mess up the circuit such that it can't tell a high state from a low state and vice versa, at that time the circuit will go WTF and then it usually takes a dump on itself.

Thats why when we overclock a CPU (back in the day) it was common to crank up the voltage on the chips so you could maintain a clean hi/low state because your cranked the clock up faster.

Sometimes when I built circuits back in the day I had to add extra capaciters accross the power feeds to smooth out the power from AC-->DC sources becaue they were THAT sensitive.

If i had an oscilloscope I could actually show you these things on the screen, but I don't have access to that stuff anymore.

Lesson here is: power isn't as smooth as you think even out of your AC outlet, batteries do a GREAT job smoothing things out and that puts a smile on everyones face, even an ECU.
K1600

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:33 am

I believe a correctly working system on a bike will run with no battery. But once you get a bad battery or battery cell it starts sapping power so that at idel the charging system can't handle both the load of the bike, and the load of the bad battery.

Now as fixxer points out, all the fancy electronics on vehicles these days makes things a bit more interesting, but again, a car should run, in a crippled state perhaps, but it should still run without a battery connected, unless there is a sensor that actually kills the engine when it detects the battery has become disconnecte in order to save the more sensitive electronics.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

Rhino
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:37 am

The only anecdote I've got along those lines...

One time I left the key in my M50, ignition on, all day while I was at work. Thankfully the bike didn't walk off. Downside was the battery was deader than a dead thing.

The bike could be bump started, but the speedo didn't work--it kept going through the routine like I'd just turned on the bike (all the lights would light up and the speedo would go all the way up and back down like Suzukis do), and the bike ran like shit, probably because the ECU was freaking out.

But, I had spark, gas, and compression so the bike ran. It was enough to get the bike home and the battery on a tender.

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:40 am

Would be intersting to go back in time and see how the bike worked with no battery compaired to the dead battery. I'd bet it'd run better with no.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals