Rookie

Tell us a little about yourself and say hello to the gang. We would like to hear about who, what, and why you ride as well as how you found us.
Kess

Rookie

Post by Kess » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:31 pm

Hey everyone! My names Amanda, I met several of yall at last night's bike night. Dont have a bike right now but am looking. I found a list on craigslist and would like to hear any opinions yall might have. Also, I am a true rookie, completely new to the bike world and would appreciate any tips anyone has to offer.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/mcy/2505887060.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

owner says he is 2nd owner and bike has never been dropped... says scratches came from bike tipping over in driveway.

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 0

Re: Rookie

Post by dufremle » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:33 pm

Welcome!
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

Grinner
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 25

Post by Grinner » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:07 pm

Welcome Amanda! I wasnt there last nite cause of work but im sure our paths will cross down the road.
On the bike...if u are completely new to riding Im gonna suggest that you pass on that bike and get a 250 ninja or honda for now to learn on and then move up once you get comfortable.
:D
Copper K3SV650S & K3SV1000S
Enjoy your Life...Don't Die Young Feeling Old When You Can Die Old Feeling Young!!
"Grinner is carrying the Black man-card, aka he has aquired enough man points his card is upgraded to the top teir." - fixxervi6

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:27 pm

or at least a bike that has some cosmetic damage so that you dont feel bad when you drop it, and will probably be able to sell in a year for what you paid for it.

Take it from another girl. I dropped my first bike within 5 minutes of buying it (I was also completely new to motorcycles) and I dropped it a couple more times as well. Mostly driveway drops, and a few low speed drops. The first drop was at a stop light. I was making a right hand turn and let the clutch out too fast. I had been sure to wait for the largest opening in the world since I didnt have any experience, and it was a good thing seeing as how it ended.

After a year and a half of riding, I bought a new bike, and I have dropped that in the driveway as well. Now I have "custom texture" on both sides of the plastics. If you are not over 5 and a half feet tall, you are going to drop it before you learn to balance it well (I actually almost dropped it again last week). So, buy cheap so you can learn on it, and not feel bad about "customizing" it.

Kess

Post by Kess » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:53 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I am defiantly planning on giving it a "custom paint job"… of course not on purpose, just being pratical. Part of why I'm not too concerned with how it looks, however at the same time dont want to get a junker.

Dragonfly
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by Dragonfly » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:55 pm

Welcome!
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Not all who wander are lost"

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:40 pm

Glad to have you on the boards. Hope to see you with a bike soon
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

AMcGrew

Post by AMcGrew » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:32 pm

Welcome.

2track
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 21

Post by 2track » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:20 am

Welcome !

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:07 pm

Glad you made it. You will find plenty of people are all for getting a 250 or something like it for your first bike to learn on. As you already know im not on that same note and think it kinda depends on who it is you are talking about. There is no doubt that a 250 will handle great and if you get it cheap enough ... why not. But then I really think it has to be something you like and I would rather get a bike that im not gonna sell in a year but that is just me. There are arguements that getting a 1000 for a first bike is stupid because of what the 1000 can do and people end up flipping them and stuff like that. Some people should not own a bike at all expecially a sportbike and for those people I agree dont go over a 250. If you can be responsible and control yourself then you will be fine on any size bike. I have seen people on a 250 flip it also but then that is one of those that should have never been on a bike. I watched my brother buy a bike that was smaller because he was scared to get to big of a bike for his first then traded it in 2 months later and got a bigger bike... wasting LOTS of money. That looks like a nice bike and it seems to be a good price to me but im not an expert. Also a 600 is a good size bike that you may never need to move up from. Next thing to do would be to go to familypowersports or something and sit on some different bikes and see what feels good. If that bike feels good and if that is a good price (need other people's input on it because im not sure) then I say go for it and make sure you dont try to do to much all at once. You already know I will help ya in any way I can so just let me know.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:52 am

A 9 to 10 year old bike in the 600 class is not a bad place to start. You just have to sit on them and see what fits you and feels good. The early 2000 era Kawasaki's were a bit larger and heavier then other 600s of the time and much more so then today's 600s. The 2002 ninja is a pretty comfortable bike, relatively speaking, and I think if you were to get the one in your add, you'd be happy enough with it to keep it for quite awhile. That being said, $3900 seems a bit high for a 9 year old bike. Something that old, I wouldn't spend much more the $2500 on it, if that.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

El Diabro
Achievement count: 18

Post by El Diabro » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:11 am

welcome to the boards :)

oh, and I also agree with DS, that's a lot for a 9 year old bike....unless that thing only has 36 miles (and the ad said 12k) you're overpaying big time. Keep looking and actually, if I know my board brother's and sister's we'll be sending you options left and right!!!

here's one:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/mcy/2518946850.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/2523569180.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the 750 may seem like a lot of bike, but like DD said, it depends on you as a rider.....i'd look at the 600 for sure

or here ya go:

http://www.cycletrader.com/Sportbike-Mo ... &zip=76108&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Who all seen the Leprechaun say YEAH!!!!

'06 Busa *aka The Big Girl*
'05 GSXR 750 *aka Baby Gixxer*

WillK675
Achievement count: 35

Post by WillK675 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:23 am

Welcome to the boards. Good luck in your search.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

sauter0966
Achievement count: 0

Post by sauter0966 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:39 pm

DemonDuck wrote:Glad you made it. You will find plenty of people are all for getting a 250 or something like it for your first bike to learn on. As you already know im not on that same note and think it kinda depends on who it is you are talking about. There is no doubt that a 250 will handle great and if you get it cheap enough ... why not. But then I really think it has to be something you like and I would rather get a bike that im not gonna sell in a year but that is just me. There are arguements that getting a 1000 for a first bike is stupid because of what the 1000 can do and people end up flipping them and stuff like that. Some people should not own a bike at all expecially a sportbike and for those people I agree dont go over a 250. If you can be responsible and control yourself then you will be fine on any size bike. I have seen people on a 250 flip it also but then that is one of those that should have never been on a bike. I watched my brother buy a bike that was smaller because he was scared to get to big of a bike for his first then traded it in 2 months later and got a bigger bike... wasting LOTS of money. That looks like a nice bike and it seems to be a good price to me but im not an expert. Also a 600 is a good size bike that you may never need to move up from. Next thing to do would be to go to familypowersports or something and sit on some different bikes and see what feels good. If that bike feels good and if that is a good price (need other people's input on it because im not sure) then I say go for it and make sure you dont try to do to much all at once. You already know I will help ya in any way I can so just let me know.

They didnt have a 50 cc in my size :( Welcome to the boards Amanda, look forward to seeing you out there! Make sure to continue to come to bike nights and Keep an eye out for moderate/Beginer rides once you get your Ride (Oh and dont forget to name Her :)
:icon_woohoo:

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by DemonDuck » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:54 pm

I would like to be the first to congradulate you on your motorcycle purchase. Now we just gotta get you a license and riding on it.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck

2000 SV650 Track bike
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Rhino
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:35 pm

Now that's just mean DD, what'd she get?

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by DemonDuck » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:57 pm

LOL I dont want to ruin her fun.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck

2000 SV650 Track bike
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 22

Post by Telomere » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:08 pm

Welcome!! Sorry I missed you last bike night. Hopefully, I will get to meet you next bike night.
Rhino wrote:Now that's just mean DD, what'd she get?
I would like to think that he isn't being mean because she is his friend and he knows that she now has a motorcycle. Of course, he isn't going to tell us because she should have the fun telling us or better yet, showing up at bike night on her new wheels :D

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by DemonDuck » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:30 pm

Right you are ma'am. I was trying to be a lil mean and build a little tension but then who wouldnt do the same thing?
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck

2000 SV650 Track bike
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Kess

Post by Kess » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:19 pm

Thanks for all the advise. I ended up getting a '06 Katana for 1800 with about 5300 miles on it. No pictures yet but will post when I do.

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:20 pm

Awesome, congrats! ,but yea pics or it didn't happen
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:22 pm

milesmiles wrote:Awesome, congrats! ,but yea pics or it didn't happen
I say bring it to bike night :) screw the pics because then you get to see it in person and feel it.

Dragonfly
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by Dragonfly » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:24 pm

Congrats!
Do you have gear? Helmet, jacket, gloves?
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Not all who wander are lost"

Kess

Post by Kess » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:33 pm

Unfortunately not sure when I will be able to attend another bike night due to work.

Yes already bought a helmet, jacket and gloves so I could get a feel for riding, see if it was gonna be something I was really going to enjoy.

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:42 pm

SmoothKiwi wrote:Unfortunately not sure when I will be able to attend another bike night due to work.

Yes already bought a helmet, jacket and gloves so I could get a feel for riding, see if it was gonna be something I was really going to enjoy.
Just use it to get started and then move to something you really want...even if it takes you a few years to get the love of your life :) I hope you have fun riding her.