Moving to Fort Worth TX

Tell us a little about yourself and say hello to the gang. We would like to hear about who, what, and why you ride as well as how you found us.
Lewi1913

Re: Moving to Fort Worth TX

Post by Lewi1913 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:24 pm

03ninjaman wrote:Nice bike ! Welcome ,hope to meet you at one of our bike nights.
I will miss the Dec bike night by a day, but will plan for the Jan one.
2009 CBR600rr Green/Black
OES Frame Sliders
Vortex Spools
Micron Ultralight Slip On
Puig Double Bubble
Proton Turn Signals
Tripage IT & FE
Shorty Green Levers

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:26 pm

Shaun/RC30FAN wrote:On a side note - is that a sticker on your fork slider?
Just noticed that. Clearly you've not done any hard braking. :-) When you peal that off make sure you get it all off so that if/when you do brake hard you don't get any of the sticker inside the shock tube.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 22

Post by Telomere » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:28 pm

Rhino wrote:
Shaun/RC30FAN wrote:The seasons over now but next year we'll be going to the track on a regular basis.
Boy will we ever. A bunch of us became new track addicts this year. I'm pretty sure there will be a club presence at every event at the two closest tracks (Motorsports Ranch Cresson and Eagle's Canyon Raceway), plus I have a hunch some of us will be making trips down to College Station and/or Houston. I'm planning on at least one trip to each of those tracks down there next season, and Fixxer expressed interest as well. Plus I'll be hitting Barber and hopefully Heartland Park next year too.
YUP :D While you boys are riding one or both of those tracks, I am planning on doing some corner work!!! I know Fixxer is possibly wanting to do Heartland Park but I don't know if he wants to do that this year or next (he plans on doing Barber too...but of course it comes back to we can not afford BOTH tracks in one year. They are vacations within themselves and have vacation price tags too :D) I do plan on riding the track a lot more next season. I am already planning out ways to support the habit :D
Lewi1913 wrote:
03ninjaman wrote:Nice bike ! Welcome ,hope to meet you at one of our bike nights.
I will miss the Dec bike night by a day, but will plan for the Jan one.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it isn't too cold, there should be a monthly ride (as long as the Ride leaders don't leave town due to the holidays), so maybe you can make that. You have about 2 months to get know most of us here on the boards before you get to meet us face to face :D

Lewi1913

Post by Lewi1913 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:40 pm

I have never done track, and frankly a little scared to take my baby out there. I know a few guys that have gone down on the track.
OES Frame Sliders
Vortex Spools
Puig Double Bubble
Proton Turn Signals
Tripage IT & FE
Shorty Green Levers

Rhino
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:41 pm

Telomere wrote:I am already planning out ways to support the habit :D
I was thinking about this a little--what you guys need to do is bundle up and corner work during the really cold months since neither one of you wants to ride then. Then you can tag-team doing track days where both of you show up and one corner works and the other rides. I bet you can get through a whole season basically riding for free that way. Take the money you would have spent on track days and go to Barber and/or Heartland Park.
Lewi1913 wrote:I have never done track, and frankly a little scared to take my baby out there. I know a few guys that have gone down on the track.
That's always a risk, but I would say (and I bet a bunch of the other guys would agree) that 80-90% of the time you go down because of something dumb that *you* did. It's possible to be taken out by someone else, but if you ride within your limits the whole time your chances of a crash on the track go way down.

I did 10 track days this season in level 1 and never had an incident or even a close call. I also ride pretty conservatively (hence 10 days at the beginner level).

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:44 pm

Lewi1913 wrote:I have never done track, and frankly a little scared to take my baby out there. I know a few guys that have gone down on the track.
That's always a risk, but I would say (and I bet a bunch of the other guys would agree) that 80-90% of the time you go down because of something dumb that *you* did. It's possible to be taken out by someone else, but if you ride within your limits the whole time your chances of a crash on the track go way down.

I did 10 track days this season in level 1 and never had an incident or even a close call. I also ride pretty conservatively (hence 10 days at the beginner level).

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:58 pm

I've done 6 years worth of track days, and while I may of ran off the track countless number of times, I've only gone down once, and like Rhino said, it was entirely my fault. Fortunally it was a relatively slow low side at the end of the day so I was able to pick the bike up and continue on the next day with no problems.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:30 pm

Track days are just as much a tool to teach you how to ride on the track as they are to teach you how to ride on the street. The confidence you gain from even the entry level track days is invaluable to being able to handle your bike on the street, especially when you get into situations where if you knew how to corner you could have made it, instead of standing the bike up and rolling the dice with the ditch or oncoming traffic.
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:34 pm

Heh, along the lines of what Firewa11 said...this morning I was riding in to work and the streets were wet. I was taking it extra cautious going around corners downtown, then realized I was being stupid. I *know* what tires that want to slip feel like--I felt it this past Saturday in the first session when I went into a turn a little too hot while the track was still cold. It's a wiggly feeling that just means "hey buddy, don't push any harder". Remembering that made me realize I could just go at normal in-town speed no problem in the rain and trust that my bike wasn't going to suddenly wash out on me.

U-Turn
Achievement count: 31

Post by U-Turn » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:52 pm

No, the public street isn't the track.
The track doesn't have thousands of cars/trucks dripping grease and oil. Diesel fuel spilling over the road.
Once I dashed to the bank at lunch and a light rain hit. I exited the freeway and went for the brakes and spun sideways. Caught it, straightened up and I was doing everything I could to slow before sliding thru the intersection. Just as bad as polished ice would have been. It was in an area that a lot of delivery trucks drive thru. Floated all the oil and grease and diesel fuel.
Last edited by U-Turn on Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sitting on the couch, watching TV, isn't living.
Triumph 955

txt 8..223.0762 to ride.
-

Grinner
Achievement count: 25

Post by Grinner » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:54 pm

Hey Lewi...when you get to town, hit me up. I have a tool that can get that sticker off if you need. You definitly do not want that ridin up inside the fork tube cause it will help to wear the seal out quickly.
:D
Copper K3SV650S & K3SV1000S
Enjoy your Life...Don't Die Young Feeling Old When You Can Die Old Feeling Young!!
"Grinner is carrying the Black man-card, aka he has aquired enough man points his card is upgraded to the top teir." - fixxervi6

Lewi1913

Post by Lewi1913 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:06 pm

I would like to prob observe a track day before riding one, to know what to expect. Maybe I will roll with you guys to the next one.

On a side note, anyone psyched for MotoGP in 2013?!?! I'm going for sure...
OES Frame Sliders
Vortex Spools
Puig Double Bubble
Proton Turn Signals
Tripage IT & FE
Shorty Green Levers

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:19 pm

Yeah we are going to make a club trip out of it :-)
ImageImageImage

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:26 pm

Lewi1913 wrote:I would like to prob observe a track day before riding one, to know what to expect.
Come out and watch for an hr or two. Then around noon they do a "parade lap". It lets people like you out on a track to get an idea of what it is like, but without the worry of fast speeds or people passing you. You get to go around a few times and no one goes fast. You don't even have to wear full leathers for it. Just boots, jeans, gloves, jacket and helmet!
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:15 am

Miles nailed it. Next season come out and watch a track day. You're totally welcome to come hang out in the paddock with us. A parade lap is a good way to get out on the track for free and see what it feels like.

I think you'll be hooked. I did my first track day cold turkey--I'd never been on a parade lap or anything. It was a total blast though and I was hooked after the very first session.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:41 am

Rhino wrote:Miles nailed it. Next season come out and watch a track day. You're totally welcome to come hang out in the paddock with us. A parade lap is a good way to get out on the track for free and see what it feels like.

I think you'll be hooked. I did my first track day cold turkey--I'd never been on a parade lap or anything. It was a total blast though and I was hooked after the very first session.
:icon_whs0be:
K1600

El Diabro
Achievement count: 18

Post by El Diabro » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:42 am

Welcome to the boards! You've found a good place and good people!

Oh, and the Redskins even considered an NFL team still? Go Cowboys!!!! :)

Oh, and nice bike too!!!
Who all seen the Leprechaun say YEAH!!!!

'06 Busa *aka The Big Girl*
'05 GSXR 750 *aka Baby Gixxer*

WillK675

Post by WillK675 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:27 am

Welcome to the boards. Hope your move goes smoothly and look forward to meeting you when you get to town.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

Lewi1913

Post by Lewi1913 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:48 am

I made it to TX!!! :cool:
OES Frame Sliders
Vortex Spools
Puig Double Bubble
Proton Turn Signals
Tripage IT & FE
Shorty Green Levers

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:09 am

awesome
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:24 am

Lewi1913 wrote:I made it to TX!!! :cool:
w00t!
ImageImageImage

WillK675

Post by WillK675 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:44 am

Congrats! I hope the move went smoothly. Come out and meet the gang when you get a chance.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

Grinner
Achievement count: 25

Post by Grinner » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:06 pm

YeeHAW!!!! Welcome to your new home! Hope the move went smooth and that the bike made it without any unplanned mods.
Hope to meet ya soon.
:D
Copper K3SV650S & K3SV1000S
Enjoy your Life...Don't Die Young Feeling Old When You Can Die Old Feeling Young!!
"Grinner is carrying the Black man-card, aka he has aquired enough man points his card is upgraded to the top teir." - fixxervi6

U-Turn
Achievement count: 31

Post by U-Turn » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:23 pm

Housewarming Party !
Sitting on the couch, watching TV, isn't living.
Triumph 955

txt 8..223.0762 to ride.
-

Lewi1913

Post by Lewi1913 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:03 am

So when is the next shindig, bike night next week?

Bike arrived safely, but almost dropped it off the ramp rolling it out of the truck! Thank goodness that didn't happen.
OES Frame Sliders
Vortex Spools
Puig Double Bubble
Proton Turn Signals
Tripage IT & FE
Shorty Green Levers