Oh sup FWMR, I heard you like motorcycles.

Tell us a little about yourself and say hello to the gang. We would like to hear about who, what, and why you ride as well as how you found us.
Haste

Oh sup FWMR, I heard you like motorcycles.

Post by Haste » Thu May 24, 2012 11:29 pm

Allo! My name is Mark but people that actually know me call me Freeman. I'm a green-horn on the I4s and im interested in this group in particular to help develop my skills. I'm a junior at UTA currently so my schedule is like a shit-storm of uncertainty but hopefully their are some weeknight riders in the club. I started riding 6 years ago but i don't consider myself as having 6 years of experience due to so much moving around the united states and school (getting a bike stolen didn't help).

If you wanted to do a weeknight ride, HIT ME UP. :grin:

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 22

Re: Oh sup FWMR, I heard you like motorcycles.

Post by Telomere » Thu May 24, 2012 11:35 pm

Welcome to the boards. Come meet us at one of our Bike nights (which was tonight). Keep an eye on the rides section. If you don't have any classes this summer, you might be able to catch a ride or two with us on the weekends. Weeknight rides are rare but they do happen occassionally.

A lot of us will be At MSR-Cresson next weekend riding the track. You are more than welcome to come down and hang with us and check the track out for a little bit. Some of us might be in class (us L1 peeps), but most will not (L2 guys). We are friendly and will make you feel right at home. Don't get your feelings hurt if someone thread jacks your intro...you will see our true colors. :D

Glad you found us. Hope you can make it to a bike night or ride or track day (to watch if you don't have the funds to participate yet). I almost forgot...we would LOVE to see a pic of your ride :D Don't be shy...we won't bite, I PROMISE!!

Haste

Re: Oh sup FWMR, I heard you like motorcycles.O

Post by Haste » Thu May 24, 2012 11:51 pm

Made it to the meetup you guys held tonight (24th), good people.

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Re: Oh sup FWMR, I heard you like motorcycles.O

Post by Telomere » Thu May 24, 2012 11:53 pm

Haste wrote:Made it to the meetup you guys held tonight (24th), good people.
I may have missed you because I didn't show up until close to 11pm. Sorry I missed you or didn't meet you before you left. I hope they made you feel at home (eventhough we might be a little shy and quiet until we get to know you :D ).

Haste

Post by Haste » Thu May 24, 2012 11:57 pm

Yeah i was out at around 10:30, you guys will see me again for sure. Its too bad ill have to skip 2 classes a month to ride out and see you guys eh? :)

Damned are those who take night classes.

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Thu May 24, 2012 11:59 pm

Haste wrote:Yeah i was out at around 10:30, you guys will see me again for sure. Its too bad ill have to skip 2 classes a month to ride out and see you guys eh? :)

Damned are those who take night classes.
LOL!! Sometimes we can be a bad influence but we don't want you failing your classes. What time do you have classes and are they only on Saturday or Sunday or both days? I ask because rides do sometimes occur on Sunday, so if you have just Saturday class, then you can make it :D. You might be able to ride with us for a bit then cut out to make it to class.

Haste

Post by Haste » Fri May 25, 2012 12:29 am

Telomere wrote:What time do you have classes and are they only on Saturday or Sunday or both days?
Weekends are very iffy because of my work schedule, but sometimes i just skip a weekend to blast off and have fun. If you guys did midnight rides, id be in heaven. :))

Forgot to post the bike picture, 2k zx6r. Just got it, needs some love from my wrenches before shes battle worthy.

Last edited by Haste on Fri May 25, 2012 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Fri May 25, 2012 12:29 am

Nice bike and welcome... hope to see you soon.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Fri May 25, 2012 12:34 am

I think we are going to ride this weekend, if you are off and allowed to. She is nice looking. Don't worry if you can't make any rides right now. Since the weather is warm/hot, there will be plenty of rides.

Haste

Post by Haste » Fri May 25, 2012 12:43 am

DemonDuck wrote:Nice bike and welcome... hope to see you soon.
Thanks, hope to see you on the street soonish.
Telomere wrote:I think we are going to ride this weekend, if you are off and allowed to. She is nice looking. Don't worry if you can't make any rides right now. Since the weather is warm/hot, there will be plenty of rides.
Ill know by tomorrow what my work schedule looks like, hopefully its agreeable. Im heading to bed now, ill talk to you boys later! Night night.

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Fri May 25, 2012 6:24 am

Nice to meet you last night! see you around soon hopefully
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

2track
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 21

Post by 2track » Fri May 25, 2012 6:43 am

Glad to meet you last night also glad you made it on here.

Grinner
Achievement count: 25

Post by Grinner » Fri May 25, 2012 11:41 am

Welcom!! It was nice meeting ya last night. Sorry if I seemed a little out of it while we chatted, I was runnin on 4 hrs of sleep. Did ya happen to find anything out yet on operating temperatures for your bike?
:D
Copper K3SV650S & K3SV1000S
Enjoy your Life...Don't Die Young Feeling Old When You Can Die Old Feeling Young!!
"Grinner is carrying the Black man-card, aka he has aquired enough man points his card is upgraded to the top teir." - fixxervi6

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 0

Post by dufremle » Fri May 25, 2012 12:31 pm

Welcome!
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

Haste

Post by Haste » Fri May 25, 2012 3:27 pm

Grinner wrote:Welcom!! It was nice meeting ya last night. Sorry if I seemed a little out of it while we chatted, I was runnin on 4 hrs of sleep. Did ya happen to find anything out yet on operating temperatures for your bike?
:D
DUDE, everyone on the Kawi forums is talking like my cylinder walls turning into molten aluminum is perfectly natural. Total bullshit. I honestly think that the fluids are either as old as the bike, or the pump is operating below specs.

At 5k rpm cruising 60-65mph i can maintain a very safe 175-180, even if i push her a bit to zip by traffic. At 3k rpm (trying to keep heat down) at 40mph ill average 200-210. Anything below 40mph and she starts cooking off. Straight off the highway and at the first stoplight, ill hit 230 in under 60 seconds. 120 seconds and ive got a warning light at 240. I get that the bike runs hot naturally, and that 240 isnt a HUGE deal. The part i dont like is how quickly it will shoot up even at just the first stoplight. This issue seems to only happen once ambient temperatures are 90 or above. When ambient is below 90, im good to go.

Im planning on burping > fluids > combing the radiator before next friday. If those dont at least get me into more acceptable ranges ill have to get more drastic and check the pump and channels.

Thoughts? :-o

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Fri May 25, 2012 3:34 pm

Our bikes get extremly hot just waiting a minute at a light, but yours seems off lol. Flush, burp, heat cycle, your radiator several times. Clean it out good with distilled water. Check hoses to make sure they are clean and good to go, also in the coolant reservoir pump/suck out any left over. On my daytona i had a bit of gunk left over that i had to get out. After ride it around for a little while, come back and check levels...then the next day and again. oh and also like an air conditioner you need to clean the outside flanges!!!!! just don't bend them :)
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles

Haste

Post by Haste » Fri May 25, 2012 3:54 pm

milesmiles wrote:Our bikes get extremly hot just waiting a minute at a light, but yours seems off lol. Flush, burp, heat cycle, your radiator several times. Clean it out good with distilled water. Check hoses to make sure they are clean and good to go, also in the coolant reservoir pump/suck out any left over. On my daytona i had a bit of gunk left over that i had to get out. After ride it around for a little while, come back and check levels...then the next day and again. oh and also like an air conditioner you need to clean the outside flanges!!!!! just don't bend them :)
Tooth brush the flanges or do you know a better way? Also, can i get a quick summary of this heat cycling process?

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Fri May 25, 2012 4:02 pm

Sure, and take from it what you want, i'm by no means an expert. Basically you drain the old stuff and add the distilled water, crank it up...let it get really hot. Then drain it(do not burn yourself!) do this four or five times, it will take you a whole day almost. This breaks up the gunk and helps clear stuff out. Toothbrush is fine, just so long as your are not bending the metal. I'm not saying this works, but this is what most people do
The world needs Miles

Teresa

Post by Teresa » Fri May 25, 2012 6:31 pm

Hey Mark, you're awesome. It was nice too meetcha!
I'm a Stardog, baby.
Redefining "respectable" since 1977.

PinkFiddy
Achievement count: 12

Post by PinkFiddy » Fri May 25, 2012 8:14 pm

It was great chatting with you. I think you'll fit in just fine :D

Glad you enjoyed yourself. Look forward to hangin' with you again.

P.S. Two other people to hit up about cornering are Meat of Snail (if he pops on here), and Firewa11. Hope that helps.

Enjoy your weekend.

:o
I'm a big kid with the mentality of a Racoon & the energy of a Fiddy.
lalaloo!
Dolce Fonyete :D

Haste

Post by Haste » Fri May 25, 2012 11:17 pm

Stardog77 wrote:Hey Mark, you're awesome. It was nice too meetcha!
I plan on returning! I cant figure out who is who on the forums though. So like... is there a guide to who is who?
milesmiles wrote:Sure, and take from it what you want, i'm by no means an expert.
This bike is going to be quite a project for me, so im really praying for the simple fix on the temp issues. Hopefully i can get those sorted for under $50 because the next step is going to be my education on CCTs and valve shimming an I4. Fun times ahead... :(
PinkFiddy wrote:It was great chatting with you. I think you'll fit in just fine :D
Glad you enjoyed yourself. Look forward to hangin' with you again.
This was mosdef my kinda people, id like to visit again.

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Fri May 25, 2012 11:50 pm

I would change the fluid out with engine ice after doing the whole flushing deal. That will help to lower the temp. Also is your fan kicking on? I know it sounds simple but you would be suprised at how many times its not thought of. If you keep having problems then you can wire a switch to your fan so you can turn it on yourself. Then you can just turn the fan on when you start the bike and let it start cooling sooner.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Striple
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Expert
Achievement count: 42

Post by Striple » Sat May 26, 2012 11:41 am

DemonDuck wrote:I would change the fluid out with engine ice after doing the whole flushing deal. That will help to lower the temp. Also is your fan kicking on? I know it sounds simple but you would be suprised at how many times its not thought of. If you keep having problems then you can wire a switch to your fan so you can turn it on yourself. Then you can just turn the fan on when you start the bike and let it start cooling sooner.
All of those suggestions are valid, but they're ultimately only treating the symptoms. There is a reason why that bike is running hotter than it should, and finding the source of that problem is going to be the only true fix, as opposed to just management of the issue.
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

Dragonfly
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by Dragonfly » Sat May 26, 2012 11:42 am

Welcome!

Glad you decided to come out to bike night and sign up on the boards. Great talking to you, see I told you we are a different kind of riding group. Hopefully you'll get some free time to hang out and ride with us.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Not all who wander are lost"

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Sat May 26, 2012 11:44 am

Nope, no guide. The more you hang with us, the more you will know us from real names vs board names.