Oh sup FWMR, I heard you like motorcycles.

Tell us a little about yourself and say hello to the gang. We would like to hear about who, what, and why you ride as well as how you found us.
Haste

Re: Oh sup FWMR, I heard you like motorcycles.

Post by Haste » Sat May 26, 2012 12:56 pm

Striple wrote:
DemonDuck wrote:I would change the fluid out with engine ice after doing the whole flushing deal. That will help to lower the temp. Also is your fan kicking on? I know it sounds simple but you would be suprised at how many times its not thought of. If you keep having problems then you can wire a switch to your fan so you can turn it on yourself. Then you can just turn the fan on when you start the bike and let it start cooling sooner.
All of those suggestions are valid, but they're ultimately only treating the symptoms. There is a reason why that bike is running hotter than it should, and finding the source of that problem is going to be the only true fix, as opposed to just management of the issue.
its kinda odd, today was a solid 87 outside here in NRH and my heat issues were not an issue. This may also be because the bike sat for awhile before i bought it and need to have a few miles pushed through to disolve some gunk. Im still going to attack this issue full force, but even slightly lower ambient temps are dramatically changing the rate of heat buildup. Ive always been hyper paranoid about engine health so im probably over reacting. After i finish doing the easy maint checks i need to figure out why at idle this girl sounds like a disel truck

want her sitting pretty so i can hit some rides with the pack.

U-Turn
Achievement count: 31

Post by U-Turn » Sat May 26, 2012 2:04 pm

Flush the system - if the bike has been sitting for a while, and it never hurts to clean anything. And you'll have a baseline to start from going forward. On the cooling issue, thermostat may be partially opening and/or the radiator-fan-switch is a thermostatically controlled switch too, it may be defective or disconnected?
Me, flush it and replace the thermostat, that's inexpensive.
Sitting on the couch, watching TV, isn't living.
Triumph 955

txt 8..223.0762 to ride.
-

Haste

Post by Haste » Sat May 26, 2012 3:21 pm

U-Turn wrote:Flush the system - if the bike has been sitting for a while, and it never hurts to clean anything. And you'll have a baseline to start from going forward. On the cooling issue, thermostat may be partially opening and/or the radiator-fan-switch is a thermostatically controlled switch too, it may be defective or disconnected?
Me, flush it and replace the thermostat, that's inexpensive.

Nice to know there are lots of people in the group interested in the mech side of bikes too. My gut instincts tell me that the fluids are old and are inefficent along with a stick thermo. That would best explain the symptoms given the conditions. Glad to meet you by the way :)

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Sun May 27, 2012 12:32 am

Striple wrote:
DemonDuck wrote:I would change the fluid out with engine ice after doing the whole flushing deal. That will help to lower the temp. Also is your fan kicking on? I know it sounds simple but you would be suprised at how many times its not thought of. If you keep having problems then you can wire a switch to your fan so you can turn it on yourself. Then you can just turn the fan on when you start the bike and let it start cooling sooner.
All of those suggestions are valid, but they're ultimately only treating the symptoms. There is a reason why that bike is running hotter than it should, and finding the source of that problem is going to be the only true fix, as opposed to just management of the issue.

True. If we are looking for the actual problem then the things that would be most likely in order would be: (in my opinion)

1) fan is not turning on at all. (check relays, apply direct power to be sure fan works and go from there)

2) waterpump (I dont know enough about a bike to tell you how hard it is to replace. On a car it depends a WHOLE lot on the model)

3) air/fuel mixture or timming.

Haste.... you can tell us the answer to #1 quick... does the fan cut on? Also the flush/therm and check the switch thing is a great idea.... and like I said engine ice when you replace the fluid... extra cooling is always good.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Haste

Post by Haste » Mon May 28, 2012 7:49 am

Demon, the fan checks out, it comes on at roughly 215. Since ive posted this issue it has mysteriously vanished, i cant explain it. Is there some kind of issue with coolant that would go away after a very hard ride?

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Mon May 28, 2012 8:34 am

Sounds like something was blocking the coolant system and now has come unblocked
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Tue May 29, 2012 12:11 am

That is possible.... give it a good flush for good measure.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

WillK675
Achievement count: 35

Post by WillK675 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:21 pm

Welcome.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino