New Navy Destroyers...

This section can be controversial. All opinions and arguments are welcome. Personal attacks are not acceptable.
LonestarCBR
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 32

New Navy Destroyers...

Post by LonestarCBR » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:50 pm

For the past several years we've been supplying components to Bath Iron Works for the production of 4-6 of these...

I put this under the political thread, because I'm hoping we use one of them to silence that little rollie-polie jack-ass in NK. :-D
New BIW Destroyer.jpg
~ Terry
'12 Speed Triple 1050 ABS, '07 GSX-R750 (track)
Happiness isn't around the corner, it IS the corner.
Anybody can jump a motorcycle. The trouble begins when you try to land it. EK

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Re: New Navy Destroyers...

Post by fixxervi6 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:09 pm

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of NK, but I don't understand why all the hate, he's not threat to anyone, he can't even feed his army.
K1600

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:01 am

Let me count the reasons... :-D
~ Terry

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:36 am

No seriously, I understand he's a dick and all that and I'm sure glad I don't live there but I don't see what the security threat is.
K1600

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:56 am

Well, he's obviously some degree of an immediate threat to SK, and we have folks there, and support their democracy. Then there is the whole Communist-ish Dictatorship thing that allows him to live in opulence while the people starve. Plus, he has a jacked-up haircut.

Seriously, seeing their threats as they are aired is usually fairly entertaining. You'd think they'd take that American dude they've recently thrown into prison and let him at least translate the threats. Kind of hard to take them seriously sometimes when you read their choice of wording.
~ Terry

Envy
Achievement count: 2

Post by Envy » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:45 pm

Finally rolling those out. I been waiting a while for ot to happen. When I got out of the navy they were saying it may get scrap piled due to cost. Supposedly a minimal crew as well. Like 50 or so. Which was pretty nice. Duty days would suck but ehh. As far as nk goes im with rick. After being on that side of the world. What media doesnt cover is surprising. We paint him as an awful person but a lot. And I mean a lot of his people worship almost god like. And he has done a lot for people over there. Woman needed expensive eye surgery or something and he took care of it kinda stuff. Dont get me wrong im not for or against him, just that there are always 3 sides to everything. I honestly feel america needs to start minding its own and stop trying to police the world and bully everyone into line. As for his son I really have not heard to much. But thats more of I no longer care than anything else.

nitzer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 8

Post by nitzer » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:13 pm

Wow...you really think that he has done a lot for the people of North Korea? I spent a year in South Korea in the 90s at Camp Humphreys. It is the home of the field station that monitors North Korea. I have actually visited the boarder of north and south Korea. That field station monitored many things in addition to the military movements of North Korea. I can't get into specifics since the intelligence gathered in that field station was classified. I can comment on the food shortages and food riots that were monitored on at least a monthly basis in the country.

You mentioned the eye surgery thing. You wanna know the truth about that, you need to watch "National Geographic: Inside North Korea". It's on Netflix. Those surgeries were provided by doctors from outside the country and done for free for the NK people. They had to fight to get into the country to do the service since NK doctors didn't have the medical knowledge or the medical equipment to perform the surgeries. This international team of doctors were from outside the US since NK wouldn't allow US citizens into the country to help it's people. The doctors performed 1000 cataract correction surgeries to restore sight to those people in 10 days. The cataracts problem is being caused by malnutrition of the population. Kids as young as 12 are going blind from malnutrition in the country. So as it's leaders live in a lap of luxury, the people are suffering. The worship him as a God because if they don't not only does the person pay that has defied the government, but their family does as well. They wouldn't need the eye surgeries if they were getting proper nutrition.

How would you like to live in a country that bans the internet, cell phones, phone communications outside the country, and any form of art that isn't sponsored by the government? People's homes don't have any other pictures on the walls other than it's leader because it's not allowed. Doing so could mean you and your entire family could be sent to a labor camp. You still think he cares about his people or any other culture?
- Derek
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (SOLD)
2003 Suzuki SV650S (SOLD)
2008 Honda VFR 800 Interceptor (Street)

Winning hearts and minds...two the heart, one to the mind.

Envy
Achievement count: 2

Post by Envy » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:19 pm

I will admit im ignorant to a lot of things over there. I was unaware the doctors had to fight to get in. I will look that up though. My apolgys. Did not mean to offend.

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:41 pm

:shock:
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:24 pm

nitzer wrote:Wow...you really think that he has done a lot for the people of North Korea? I spent a year in South Korea in the 90s at Camp Humphreys. It is the home of the field station that monitors North Korea. I have actually visited the boarder of north and south Korea. That field station monitored many things in addition to the military movements of North Korea. I can't get into specifics since the intelligence gathered in that field station was classified. I can comment on the food shortages and food riots that were monitored on at least a monthly basis in the country.

You mentioned the eye surgery thing. You wanna know the truth about that, you need to watch "National Geographic: Inside North Korea". It's on Netflix. Those surgeries were provided by doctors from outside the country and done for free for the NK people. They had to fight to get into the country to do the service since NK doctors didn't have the medical knowledge or the medical equipment to perform the surgeries. This international team of doctors were from outside the US since NK wouldn't allow US citizens into the country to help it's people. The doctors performed 1000 cataract correction surgeries to restore sight to those people in 10 days. The cataracts problem is being caused by malnutrition of the population. Kids as young as 12 are going blind from malnutrition in the country. So as it's leaders live in a lap of luxury, the people are suffering. The worship him as a God because if they don't not only does the person pay that has defied the government, but their family does as well. They wouldn't need the eye surgeries if they were getting proper nutrition.

How would you like to live in a country that bans the internet, cell phones, phone communications outside the country, and any form of art that isn't sponsored by the government? People's homes don't have any other pictures on the walls other than it's leader because it's not allowed. Doing so could mean you and your entire family could be sent to a labor camp. You still think he cares about his people or any other culture?
Yea but still, how is he a security threat, yea he's a dick I get that.
K1600

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:38 am

Well, whatever capabilities he has, there is no telling who's hands they might end up in, and we know for certain there are those who are looking to spread whatever evil they may.

Suicide attacks are one thing. Suicide attacks with a limited nuclear weapon puts an entirely new spin on things. But that's just me.

Maybe he considers himself enough of a player on the world stage that something like this would be beneath him, but who knows. How many times has it been said "we ignored the warning signs".

And as pointed out before, he's a huge threat to SK, which he has demonstrated before, and you can only hope that the fear of radiation fallout is enough to stop him from doing something that stupid that close to home.

The big threat for you personally is him nuking Japan...where will you get your Prius parts from? :)

But hey, smart move on your part going Italian with the bike.
~ Terry

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:08 am

Here is maybe the scariest part of all...apparently he doesn't know where his stuff is going when he does light the fuse. :-)

SEOUL, South Korea — North Korea fired a short-range projectile from an area near its eastern coast on Tuesday in what appears to be another weapons test seen as a response to ongoing military drills between Washington and Seoul, South Korean officials said.

The projectile was fired near the North Korean port city of Wonsan and flew about 200 kilometers (125 miles) toward an area in the country's northwest, South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff said.

It was unclear whether the projectile crashed on land or overflew its target and landed in the sea, said a Joint Chiefs of Staff official who didn't want to be identified, citing office rules. He said it also was unclear whether the projectile was a ballistic missile or an artillery shell.
~ Terry

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:25 am

Well I still don't get it, who cares if he is a threat to SK - who made us world police while our own citizens struggle.

If he's really the big bad boogy man SK should just march over the country - NK can't even feed it's army, SK would be able to walk right over the country.
K1600

nitzer
Achievement count: 8

Post by nitzer » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:02 am

Unfortunately I believe China would aid NK if SK decided to do something like that. The US has approximately 30,000 troops in South Korea. China would see the move as US backed and retaliate against us. The 30,000 US troops have always been a deterrent to the NK from taking over SK. Now would that force be able to stave off the estimated 1 million troops the NK Army has on the books? No it wouldn't, but it ensures that the country is protected by the full arsenal of weapons available in the United States. With the loss of our Philippian bases, Korea is one of our last footholds in Asia besides Japan. The US rarely gives up a base in a foreign country unless it absolutely has to.

North and South Korea are still at war. No peace treaty was ever signed. They currently only have a cease fire in place. It took like a month for the North and the South just to negotiate the flag size and pedestal configuration for those flags being displayed in the negotiation room. Neither side will compromise with the other in the slightest. There is a single phone line going from the south to the north that is used for diplomatic communications. 90% of the time the North Koreans don't answer it and the folks on the border grab a megaphone and yell the communications across the border. That's just nuts.

The man is crazy. Any crazy man in charge of a million man army is a threat. We were told upon entering Korea that if the NKs attacked that they could make all the way to the capitol in less than 3 days. Seoul is only 35 miles from the NK border. Since then the SK armed forces have improved tremendously while the NK fores have degraded. Do I think there is a threat from a ground assault at this point? No I don't. But if the NK were able to obtain nukes...the threat would be real. The US is prevented by treaty from keeping nukes in SK or even operating spy missions from aircraft based in SK. Korea is a strategic location for the US to be so the US will protect it's interests there.
- Derek
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (SOLD)
2003 Suzuki SV650S (SOLD)
2008 Honda VFR 800 Interceptor (Street)

Winning hearts and minds...two the heart, one to the mind.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:04 am

I still don't get it. Who cares, pull out of SK and let them all go at it.
K1600

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:26 am

The plot thickens...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/nor ... &ocid=iehp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~ Terry

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:45 am

I still say so what.
K1600

JTChiTown
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 7

Post by JTChiTown » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:13 am

I'm with Rick. If he's a big enough problem to support billions and billions of dollars worth of defense not used in decades, he's worth taking out NOW.

Otherwise, not my problem.
Jeff

"Drive fast, attract Cops; Drive faster, attract Sponsors"

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:22 pm

Well, he or someone he decides to sell to will be someone's problem sooner or later. I mean it doesn't require an ICBM to get a nuke, or a dirty bomb to the US...you just got find the right group of nutjobs who share your disdain and viola!
~ Terry

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:25 pm

LonestarCBR wrote:Well, he or someone he decides to sell to will be someone's problem sooner or later. I mean it doesn't require an ICBM to get a nuke, or a dirty bomb to the US...you just got find the right group of nutjobs who share your disdain and viola!
Well, if we quit messing with people around the globe we'd have a lot less people hating us.
K1600

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:52 pm

Fact
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:22 pm

I agree, we prompted both World Trade Center attacks and it had nothing to do with misguided religious zealots who are on a mission to reign jihad down on all infidels. We can retreat within the safety of our borders and it will all be over.
~ Terry

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:40 pm

LonestarCBR wrote:I agree, we prompted both World Trade Center attacks and it had nothing to do with misguided religious zealots who are on a mission to reign jihad down on all infidels. We can retreat within the safety of our borders and it will all be over.
Funny thing about the world trade center, Bin Laden actually went on TV and said exactly why he did it but everyone seams to not be able to remember that part. (here is a hint, we were poking stuff with a stick pissin people off).

Non interventionism is not the same as isolationism. I do not support isolationism.
K1600

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:45 pm

Well, I guess that was kinda my point...poking with a stick and pissin' people off is somehow justification for an over the top reaction for a group of fanatics who stop will stop at nothing to push their twisted agenda. I mean they attack an office of cartoonists for an unflattering depiction of mohammed.

And the real point was, rollie-pollie is just as likely to pass any nuclear capabilities he has to someone who actually has the screws loose enough to use it...so take the capability out of his hands before we have another example of looking back and saying "well, there were all these signs".

And for me, non-interventionism is basically isolationism. It's just my philosophy. I think we have a moral obligation at times. But, that's what makes America great, we don't end up in prison for having an opinion (usually not).
~ Terry

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:50 pm

LonestarCBR wrote:Well, I guess that was kinda my point...poking with a stick and pissin' people off is somehow justification for an over the top reaction for a group of fanatics who stop will stop at nothing to push their twisted agenda. I mean they attack an office of cartoonists for an unflattering depiction of mohammed.

And the real point was, rollie-pollie is just as likely to pass any nuclear capabilities he has to someone who actually has the screws loose enough to use it...so take the capability out of his hands before we have another example of looking back and saying "well, there were all these signs".

And for me, non-interventionism is basically isolationism. It's just my philosophy. I think we have a moral obligation at times. But, that's what makes America great, we don't end up in prison for having an opinion (usually not).
Well we did kill some of his people so you know, eye for an eye or something like that, not saying it was justified, just saying if your gonna constantly poke at a bees nest at some point your going to get stung.

Your also mashing together different things, the towers were not taken out because someone drew a cartoon. There are multiple levels of crazy out there killing for various reasons.

I say give every country over there 1 short range nuke that activates all on the same day and see what happens.
K1600