Texas Drivers: the most inconsiderate in the US?

This section can be controversial. All opinions and arguments are welcome. Personal attacks are not acceptable.
WickerMan
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 1

Texas Drivers: the most inconsiderate in the US?

Post by WickerMan » Tue May 10, 2016 12:25 pm

And the most poorly trained and mean?

I mean come on. Isn't the left lane for passing? If you aren't passing a car any time soon, and the car in front of you is 1000 feet away, move the hell out of the left lane. I can't count how many times someone just parked in the fast lane like there was no one on the road except them. Or rode on my ass when there is someone just ahead of me, or flew by me to jam into the safe following distance I had in front of me only to be behind that person in front of me. Or tried to cut me off because I chose not to block up the left lane like everyone else and saw my space was running out. Or don't know the people to the left of you on a multi-lane have the right of way. I'm starting to think most cars in our great state have turn signals as optional and everyone is out of cash when they got their vehicle. Or have no clue who has right away at a U turn under the highway.

I was driving the speed limit down 287 in Mansfield in the right lane. And a guy, whose parents were probably brother and sister, driving a sweet new white Hemi Charger, comes down the on ramp and signals and proceedes to smash right into the side of my perfect body fire engine red 240SX. Only some well timed horn and crowding the fast lane, there were cars passing so I couldn't fully get over, kept us from an "accident," and I mean his door almost touched my mirror. Then this guy decides to honk at me and pulls up next to me in the fast lane to yell at me. Normally I don't engage in highway altercation conversions because that can get your car or person damaged or maybe even killed. But He had the nerve to say I'm supposed to clear my lane to him. I said I'm on the highway and you are supposed to yield to your left and the traffic already there, and besides I couldn't move over. He screamed "I have kids in the car." And I screamed back he shouldn't have kids or a drivers license either. So then he decides to punch it and pass me up. I couldn't resist and down shifted to 3rd at about 60mph and walked him like a 6 cylinder. I passed the car in front of me in the right lane and got back in the right lane and slowed back to speed limit. He comes flying up next to be still screaming like a madman, but I just blew vape clouds out the window at him. Then he really goes off, he says I should pull over so we can? Fight? Get arrested? Discuss the merits of knowing the traffic laws? I'm not sure, but finally he gave up and roared away.

Don't do what I did but sometimes I just can't take it. Driving licenses are too easy to get in this country and that BS would never fly in Germany.
What is up with this space?
2015 ZX-6R 30th Anniversary
2014 CBR500R HRC
2007 Ruckus winter camo

JTChiTown
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 7

Re: Texas Drivers: the most inconsiderate in the US?

Post by JTChiTown » Tue May 10, 2016 12:53 pm

Living in several other cities.....I think Texas has some of the best drivers around.

However, while you were right and he was wrong, merging is one of the weakest areas for drivers in Texas. People just simply don't look or judge ahead, on either side of the equation. Chicago I felt had this best, but Detroit leaves 0 room for merging, so you had to be good at it. Dallas leaves just enough room for people to be lazy.
Jeff

"Drive fast, attract Cops; Drive faster, attract Sponsors"

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Tue May 10, 2016 1:28 pm

These people can't drive. A bend in the road literally causes a traffic jam.
K1600

Polokid69
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 23

Post by Polokid69 » Tue May 10, 2016 2:26 pm

and of course those bad WV drivers!
Current Bike:
KTM RC390

Previous Bikes:
2007 Kawasaki ZZR600
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
2002 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6
2000 Kawasaki Ninja EX250
1983 Kawasaki GPZ550
1980 Yamaha RD400
1978 Yamaha DT 125
1978 Yamaha YZ 125
1975 Yamaha DT 100

JeffStrom
Club Member
Club Member

Post by JeffStrom » Tue May 10, 2016 2:28 pm

Having only moved to Texas a couple of years ago, I will say that I notice the absence of turn signals as well; I think it is a race between TX and FL as to which is worse. I think Texas is probably towards the bad end but not the worst when it comes to left lane drivers.
Jeff - Street Triple 675R / GSX-R600 / F850GSA

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Tue May 10, 2016 2:54 pm

Polokid69 wrote:and of course those bad WV drivers!
Never been in a WV traffic jam
K1600

nitzer
Achievement count: 8

Post by nitzer » Tue May 10, 2016 3:16 pm

Because no one wants to live in WV...
- Derek
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (SOLD)
2003 Suzuki SV650S (SOLD)
2008 Honda VFR 800 Interceptor (Street)

Winning hearts and minds...two the heart, one to the mind.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Tue May 10, 2016 3:39 pm

nitzer wrote:Because no one wants to live in WV...
I would if there were jobs, you want to talk about motorcycle roads...
K1600

LonestarCBR
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 32

Post by LonestarCBR » Tue May 10, 2016 6:08 pm

fixxervi6 wrote:
Polokid69 wrote:and of course those bad WV drivers!
Never been in a WV traffic jam
Are you counting Amish buggies and coal trucks?
~ Terry
'12 Speed Triple 1050 ABS, '07 GSX-R750 (track)
Happiness isn't around the corner, it IS the corner.
Anybody can jump a motorcycle. The trouble begins when you try to land it. EK

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Tue May 10, 2016 8:51 pm

Everything, just not enough population density even in the cities
K1600

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Wed May 11, 2016 5:28 am

The one thing I most certainly agree with is that it's entirely too easy for anyone to get a driver's license in this country.

Texas driver's aren't nearly as bad as many.

Those driving slow in the left lane are a major cause of all manner of highway issues, and like speeders, if you're going to do it, then you deserve to get busted if caught doing it.

Finally...let's focus on the single biggest scourge on our highways...cell phones, and specifically texting while driving.
~ Terry

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Wed May 11, 2016 7:42 am

I understand what your saying but trust me when I say Texas is better than most. I have lived in many states and travel all the time. I use to drive big trucks all across the US and out of all the places I have been there are not many I would rate above Texas. Not that Texas is the best but its not near the worst.

I think the majority of the things we see now is a change in attitude across the US. Everyone these days seem to feel entitled and are of course more important than anyone else around. It is something we have done to ourselves over the years and its only going to get worse with the newer generations up and coming. Little things that lead to big things. Things like everyone getting participation medals in sports and such. Not keeping scores and all..... these are not the specific things that cause the bad driving but they do change the way people think over time and in turn change road habits and everything. Fewer men hold open doors for women and elderly these days let alone anyone else. People don't even nod a hey to ya as you pass them anymore. Most don't know the name of their neighbor. Many many things that have changed in society that are absolutely destroying us in my opinion.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

fartymarty
Achievement count: 17

Post by fartymarty » Mon May 16, 2016 12:17 pm

WickerMan wrote: But He had the nerve to say I'm supposed to clear my lane to him. I said I'm on the highway and you are supposed to yield to your left and the traffic already there, and besides I couldn't move over.
I have to agree with the over all direction of this post, but there are many factors to driving problems. Highway design, driver training, differences of opinion about what "good driving" really means.

Now as to the part that I quoted above, different states view this differently and yet most drivers think that the only difference is in speed limits between states.
TEXAS:

ILLINOIS:

(just to be clear, in Illinois "Expressways" are what are referred to here as Freeways, it does not mean Express lanes which surprisingly are called the same thing in both states)
I was initially trained in Illinois, so when I first arrived in Texas I drove pretty much like the asshat you ran into when entering a freeway or limited access road. As I saw it, my job was to accelerate quickly so as to try and match speed with established traffic so as to minimize the effort needed on their part to let me in. That didn't work very well here in Texas as you can imagine, as it was pretty much their opinion that they were there first and were not going to do a damn thing different than what they had been doing and it was all my problem to try and merge safely. I have since adjusted, but I still think the Illinois way is better (probably the only thing I think is better in ILL-Annoy). The established traffic has all the sight advantage as the whole thing takes place in their field of vision and they have 3 possible options, slow down, change lanes, speed up. The driver entering the road has to do most of their driving in their mirrors plus accelerate to match speed, they only (usually) have one option and that is to slow down if someone doesn't let them in. Then they are stuck at the end of their acceleration lane (or on the shoulder) almost stopped and then pull left in front of the next guy in line and at a considerably slower speed than if the first guy had simply slowed a few mph.

Over all I think Texas drivers are better when compared to other states from what I've seen. This may only be because they drive more and generally have higher speed limits than other states and have developed skills accordingly. I've never been to Florida but I hear from many that it is the worst. No matter what state you drive in, 90 percent of drivers have no idea what a "YIELD" sign means. I might be generous when I imply that the the other 10 percent do know what it means.

RIGHT TURN ONLY seems to be misunderstood as well, to most it seems to mean RIGHT TURN ONLY, only if you intended to make a right turn, otherwise it means do whatever the hell you want, go straight, go left, stop and wait, whatever..... :ar15:... apparently it could never mean make a right turn because the sign says "RIGHT TURN ONLY" and go around the block and then get in the proper lane the next time...no it couldn't possibly mean that. :((

Polokid69
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 23

Post by Polokid69 » Mon May 16, 2016 1:04 pm

I think the majority of the things we see now is a change in attitude across the US. Everyone these days seem to feel entitled and are of course more important than anyone else around. It is something we have done to ourselves over the years and its only going to get worse with the newer generations up and coming. Little things that lead to big things. Things like everyone getting participation medals in sports and such. Not keeping scores and all..... these are not the specific things that cause the bad driving but they do change the way people think over time and in turn change road habits and everything. Fewer men hold open doors for women and elderly these days let alone anyone else. People don't even nod a hey to ya as you pass them anymore. Most don't know the name of their neighbor. Many many things that have changed in society that are absolutely destroying us in my opinion.[/quote]

So true
Current Bike:
KTM RC390

Previous Bikes:
2007 Kawasaki ZZR600
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
2002 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6
2000 Kawasaki Ninja EX250
1983 Kawasaki GPZ550
1980 Yamaha RD400
1978 Yamaha DT 125
1978 Yamaha YZ 125
1975 Yamaha DT 100

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Mon May 16, 2016 1:07 pm

I often tell my wife "if I only had a remote device that would disable the car of someone I personally deem to be doing something dumb as hell, and would then broadcast the reason over their radio" that I could fix a lot of these issues.

And basically I could then also create "Terry's lane", which is a win-win for everyone. :-)
~ Terry

JTChiTown
Club Member
Club Member

Post by JTChiTown » Mon May 16, 2016 1:19 pm

Did you ever watch the BBC TopGear? The one where they went "caravaning" was excellent. They put on the back of the RV one of those scrolling text signs you see at stores, and put messages up there for morons. Great idea, but then you have to assume people can read....
Jeff

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Mon May 16, 2016 1:37 pm

...and don't carry guns.

Yeah, displaying something they have to read isn't going to get the job done. "Slower traffic right", "right turn only", "red light camera", etc...just don't work. I find I have the same problem with those gibberishy signs that say "S-P-E-E-D-L-I-M-I-T". They just seem to be a blur when I pass them, and no one can read the fine print at the bottom that states who it does and does not apply to. A little disabling of the ignition and a speech on what they did wrong and how you'll listen to this message twice as long next time will be more effective...for some.
~ Terry

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Mon May 16, 2016 1:48 pm

I may be one of those drivers that pisses some of you off, but here goes...when you're driving in the left lane, and the lane is clear enough in front of you for you to be making progress and/or get clear of the car to your right and move over...and you aren't doing one or the other, I'm going to flash you over fairly insistently until you go or move over. Keep in mind, I'm not being an overly harassing jerk, just saying "hey, wake up and move it"...I give time to move first, if they aren't making an effort then a flash or two, more time, you get a chance to do what's right.

Twice recently, between US281 and Weatherford I've been in that situation where (young women) were parked in the left lane and I took this approach. Once I finally got past them, up the road a short distance was the a-hole boyfriend they were traveling with who is obviously on the phone getting an earful about how I just violated their civil liberties. Clear road ahead in both instances, and the jackass moves over and straddles the middle line blocking the road, moving left to right to block my progress.

In both instances they slowed down, blocked, I exercised a great deal of patience so as to not create a big highway scene, and when I finally find a hole and go, it then becomes a drag race until they finally give up the game (my Traverse is a sleeper). On the few occasions where I'm the guy in the left lane who has someone coming up behind me, I move the hell over. Not sure why some people get so offended that you notice their stupid-ass behavior, but man they do. And it's not like I stay there until they move over...give me a hole to the right and I'll let you sleep there...
~ Terry

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Mon May 16, 2016 2:17 pm

While I agree you shouldn't be in the left lane unless you are passing, that is not actually a requirement in most metroplex areas. It's not till you get outside of the city that the left lane for passing only signs show up again.

And while following someone in the left lane may be annoying, if they are doing the speed limit, you really can't say much. Now yes, if the right lane is clear for miles then the person is an idiot.

Regarding the traffic merging sign, do they have those on the freeways around here? I've only ever noticed the yield signs on the entrance ramp. Will have to pay attention next time I get on 820.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

JeffStrom
Club Member
Club Member

Post by JeffStrom » Mon May 16, 2016 2:39 pm

DarcShadow wrote:While I agree you shouldn't be in the left lane unless you are passing, that is not actually a requirement in most metroplex areas. It's not till you get outside of the city that the left lane for passing only signs show up again.

And while following someone in the left lane may be annoying, if they are doing the speed limit, you really can't say much. Now yes, if the right lane is clear for miles then the person is an idiot.
As a practical matter you are probably right, but Texas law states:
(b) An operator of a vehicle on a roadway moving more slowly than the normal speed of other vehicles at the time and place under the existing conditions shall drive in the right-hand lane available for vehicles, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, unless the operator is:
(1) passing another vehicle; or
(2) preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

Note that it does not mention the speed limit.
Jeff - Street Triple 675R / GSX-R600 / F850GSA

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Mon May 16, 2016 3:59 pm

Yes, the speed limit is really immaterial for this discussion, since it can and does happen regularly as less that the posted limit. It's just a personal problem for people such as myself.

I've admitted I have a problem, I'm working on the problem, I'm just not resolving the internal conflict created by the problem very well. Please be patient with me...but in the meantime, move the hell over! :evil: :ar15: :-)
~ Terry

WickerMan
Achievement count: 1

Post by WickerMan » Mon May 16, 2016 7:27 pm

I always move out of the left lane if someone is approaching from behind and I'm not passing for a while. Sometimes I move over to let someone pass when they run up on my ass, even when I am passing someone. I used to drop into 4th gear for excessive tailgaters, rapid slow down with no brake lights, but I don't do that anymore. I always signal when I change lanes or make a turn, it's just something I like doing.

I went down to Ft Hood a couple of weekends ago, and passed about 5 of those left lane is for passing signs, it didn't seem to make much of an effect on other drivers. I guess the older I get the lower my tolerance for stupid people. But I'm a much calmer driver than I used to be.
What is up with this space?
2015 ZX-6R 30th Anniversary
2014 CBR500R HRC
2007 Ruckus winter camo

JTChiTown
Club Member
Club Member

Post by JTChiTown » Mon May 16, 2016 7:34 pm

Common misconception "no signs = no law".

Left lane drivers are my biggest pet peeve. I'll close my gap if they are doing less than 5 over. If they are doing the speed limit or less, I'll follow close enough for most people to be uncomfortable.

When I had the Stingray, I wouldn't hesitate to pass at the first opportunity. Left or right. Drop it to 3rd, and I was 2 lengths ahead before they noticed I had moved over. Had 1 dude try to block me in an older ish dodge truck east of Sherman. It was comical.
Jeff

fartymarty
Achievement count: 17

Post by fartymarty » Tue May 17, 2016 2:00 am

Again, there are too many varied opinions as to what "good driving" is, and some of it may be right here among us.
Let's say I'm caged and have my cruise control set over the speed limit (limit+5MPH) at what I feel is a safe speed for avoiding a speeding ticket; and I pull out into the left lane to pass a slower car who then speeds up a bit (as they are sometimes prone to do for reason's unknown to me) and we end up running side by side longer than I expected; and then a Sting Ray/Viper/rice rocket doing the limit +10 pulls up uncomfortably close behind me in the left lane and starts flashing his or her lights; if I ignore them and refuse to speed up faster than the cruise control set speed (not being ornery but rather because I still don't want to risk getting a speeding ticket) and continue to execute my slow pass and refuse to cut off the passed car by changing lanes back to the right as quickly as the Sting Ray/Viper/rice rocket would like me to; then, am I a bad driver? I'm sure some must think I am.
What if instead of continuing to pass at the cruise control speed, I disengage the cruise and slow down to fall in behind the car I was trying to pass (forcing the Sting Ray/Viper/rice rocket to slow even more), then am I a bad driver?
So let's say I respond to the flashing lights by speeding up to limit+10 and then just before I can change back to the right lane I get nailed by radar and the Sting Ray/Viper/rice rocket slows way down, pretty sure the cop will think I'm the bad driver.
DarcShadow wrote: Regarding the traffic merging sign, do they have those on the freeways around here? I've only ever noticed the yield signs on the entrance ramp.
Yep, almost every one of them, shown to the established traffic not the ramp traffic.
DarcShadow wrote: Will have to pay attention next time I get on 820.
Well, that's kind of extreme. I mean you'll be the only one out there paying attention on 820. :)

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Tue May 17, 2016 5:45 am

WickerMan wrote:I guess the older I get the lower my tolerance for stupid people. But I'm a much calmer driver than I used to be.
Yes, I find the same things in myself. The problem...there are stupid people everywhere...I think it's a line in a Harvey Danger song "stupid people are breeding". And it's a good thing I'm a calmer driver, I acted like too much of an ass in my younger days sometimes...that inner-conflict-with-my-patience thing was...well, let's just say it was influenced by the dark side too much. :-o :-)
~ Terry