Politics behind car vs. motorcyle safety features

This section can be controversial. All opinions and arguments are welcome. Personal attacks are not acceptable.
WickerMan
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 1

Politics behind car vs. motorcyle safety features

Post by WickerMan » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:37 pm

My 4 wheeled car must have seat belts, airbags, traction control, and ABS. But my 200hp 2 wheeled motorcycle (if I had one) needs none of these, plus I don't even have to wear a helmet anymore. ABS is now a requirement in Europe since 2016. I know it's not cost what with economies of scale and the availability of said systems already in Europe. I don't think it's that people don't want it, you can turn it off if you want on most every system. I can't get an R3 with ABS at all, not offered, but standard in Europe. The new R6 has ABS standard, TC too, and most KTM street cycles have ABS standard. When will the US catch up to the Europeans? You know it will be required here eventually. Not enough dead people yet?
What is up with this space?
2015 ZX-6R 30th Anniversary
2014 CBR500R HRC
2007 Ruckus winter camo

JTChiTown
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 7

Re: Politics behind car vs. motorcyle safety features

Post by JTChiTown » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:23 pm

I don't understand the logic of ABS on a motorcycle to being with. Here in the US, very few riders will go out in rough weather. My guess is less than 5% will choose to ride in the rain. How many lives would be saved by ABS? How many lives were lost solely due to have a tire lock up under hard braking? From my understanding, very very few of the overall fatalities yearly for motorcycles.

Americans still want to be free, not nannied. The fact that the same company, building bikes side by side, choose not to even offer in the US tells you that their market research tells them not enough people would want it to make it a viable choice.

Given the choice, most consumers of modern vehicles would rather save the money than get those features. I will bet, that with the exclusion of a 3 point belt and a frontal airbag, most conusmers would tell you to take the rest out, remove the government emissions items on it, and save me the $6000. I know I opted out of several nanny features, that I could have gotten, but didn't want to spend the extra money on when I just bought my Tahoe.

I hope it never does become mandatory here. Just another thing I don't want, adding weight, cost, and complexity to a vehicle that doesn't need it.

Less government, more freedom!
Jeff

"Drive fast, attract Cops; Drive faster, attract Sponsors"

toy752
Ride Leader in Training
Ride Leader in Training
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 0

Post by toy752 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:39 pm

I have to say I have had abs save my ass several times when people pulled out in front of me
SV 650 track bike
Sure do miss this one 2015 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10r
Gone but not forgotten 2012 Ninja 1000

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:17 pm

Why don't we make it a requirement for a five point harness in all cars. Let's start saving everyone!
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

WickerMan

Post by WickerMan » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:46 am

With 3 point belts, crumple zones and airbags, 5 point harnesses are overkill.

And yes ABS saved my bacon a couple of times for sure, and both instances were in the dry, one on the track.

I just want a 4 or 3 cylinder, under 600cc, with ABS and traction control, ride modes would be nice for that rare occasion I get get caught out in the rain, that I don't have to spend $12,200 on a new cycle to get. The used market has some options but they are few and far between for sure.
2014 CBR500R HRC
2007 Ruckus winter camo

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:24 am

I've never used ride mode on my GSXR

I've never switched out of track mode on the ape, even in the rain.

TC on a bike with under 600cc doesn't make much sense to me, the only bikes I've ridden with enough power to break traction was the 750cc when I had on shit tires, the ape, and the GS. The 600cc in my garage runs good for a 600cc but I call it the gutless wonder of the world, unless your running around at 12,000 rpm all the time there isn't enough power to do much of anything except for maybe spin it up on sand. Below 12,000 rpm I want to get off and push.
K1600

WickerMan

Post by WickerMan » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:18 pm

It's more of a just in case safety net, I may never use it, but if I do I will be glad for the features. I'm researching a track bike and that's what brought these issues to mind. I will be looking for a 2013-2015 636 as this is the only Japanese offering that meets my needs.
2014 CBR500R HRC
2007 Ruckus winter camo

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:16 am

I am sure if you went to a dealership and said you wanted the traction control version that they have in Europe they could find a way to get one shipped. Not sure how much it would cost but if that is what you really want I think they would find a way to make it happen for you. I could be completely off though.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:49 am

The only times I can ever recall locking up the wheels was when I was trying to do and endo and my one wrecka. Regarding the wrecks, ABS would not have helped, as there was barely enough time to hit the brakes.

The only reason for TC to me, is for the high HP bikes that simply can not be controlled by hand because the throttle is too twitchy with so much power available.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

nitzer
Achievement count: 8

Post by nitzer » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:59 am

5-point harnesses are not a good idea on the street for the simple reason is that it's too hard to get the person out of the vehicle in the event of a crash. If the locking mechanism gets jammed you have 5 belts to cut and they are typically much thicker or wider than standard seat belts. They also limit your movement too much and no auto tensioners. Standard seat belts there are only 2 belts to cut. For racing modifying safety equipment is the norm. I wouldn't want to modify the safety equipment of a street vehicle especially because your insurance could invalidate a claim because you made the vehicle "less safe" or modified DOT equipment by installing non-DOT belts. For an occasional track day car, use a removeable harness that attaches to via snaphooks and ring mounts because I would want to move the harness far enough out of the way as not to sit on it when not using it. Race harnesses also have a 2-year expiration date to comply with racing standards.
- Derek
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (SOLD)
2003 Suzuki SV650S (SOLD)
2008 Honda VFR 800 Interceptor (Street)

Winning hearts and minds...two the heart, one to the mind.

Tooner
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Tooner » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:58 am

ABS: The only major issue I have with my CBR 1000rr is that the ABS often glitches and then defaults to the "standard" brake mode. The second required to change from ABS to standard brake mode can be of the longest moments of your life as you squeeze nothing happens until perhaps too abruptly the brakes come back on line in non abs mode. When that happened on my first track day on the approach to Buzzard neck at MSRC I had one of those Holy F+c! moments and was able to negotiate a 2005 R6 into the garage to take to the track. On the other hand, 20+ years ago ABS may have saved my LTD 550 from the junk pile and me from my first failed flight lesson!
Shane
Current ride and track: 2009 CBR 1000rr
2018 crf450r