Satanic activity books in Florida schools

This section can be controversial. All opinions and arguments are welcome. Personal attacks are not acceptable.
Striple
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Expert
Achievement count: 42

Satanic activity books in Florida schools

Post by Striple » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:26 pm

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/09/bibl ... a-schools/

Controversial, but interesting. What say you?
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 0

Re: Satanic activity books in Florida schools

Post by dufremle » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:48 pm

Personally, I think all religions should be banned. They cause nothing but problems.

However, if they are going to allow one religion to pass out literature then they should allow all religions to pass out literature.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

Rhino
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:33 am

I'm all for the move. That'll teach them to let religion in the school.

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:40 am

Funny how people never think of the whole picture when they make decisions like this. Let one in, you got to let them all in. Wonder if the Pastafarians or the Jedi church will join in and hand out pamphlets at the school.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

BeautifulDisaster
Achievement count: 14

Post by BeautifulDisaster » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:43 am

This is why I say take it all out of school. All or nothing. You let one in you have to let them all in. I believe in the separation of church (all encompassing term- whether your believe in something or not) and State. Most people can't get to a level of freethinking and personal growth that allows them to live and let live. Kids? They have no clue what any of that is and they're so impressionable. Any "church" that has to peddle their goods to kids at public, tax-dollar funded institutions should make a private school and brainwash that way. Just saying.
"So bright... so beautiful... ah, Precioussss."

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:49 am

I'm all for teaching religion in schools, I think it should be required - let me clarify - "religious studies" not "here are the facts".

I would like to see 1 class that lays out the history and beliefs of the worlds top 4 religions and make it required. I believe if religion was taught in this objective 3rd party method the world would be a better place. Keep it to the facts instead of the spoon fed propaganda mainstream religious channels like to feed.

As to allowing the material in the school, I'm all for it, if your going to let one in you need to let them all in.
K1600

LonestarCBR
Achievement count: 32

Post by LonestarCBR » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:41 am

When I was in high school (yes, it was still called high school back then), I took both "The Theory of Evolution" (Darwin) and "Bible Literature".

I'm not too twisted as a result.
~ Terry
'12 Speed Triple 1050 ABS, '07 GSX-R750 (track)
Happiness isn't around the corner, it IS the corner.
Anybody can jump a motorcycle. The trouble begins when you try to land it. EK

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:21 pm

fixxervi6 wrote:I'm all for teaching religion in schools, I think it should be required - let me clarify - "religious studies" not "here are the facts".

I would like to see 1 class that lays out the history and beliefs of the worlds top 4 religions and make it required. I believe if religion was taught in this objective 3rd party method the world would be a better place. Keep it to the facts instead of the spoon fed propaganda mainstream religious channels like to feed.

As to allowing the material in the school, I'm all for it, if your going to let one in you need to let them all in.
I had to take a Biblical Literature course in college, it was like this--a survey of the historical bible, not a religious class. It was awesome.

I'd be all for teaching a class like that. The problem is some people can't ratchet their minds open. One guy in my Bib Lit class was a religion major, but he freaked out and dropped the class when we got into who may or may not have written some of the books of the Bible. He just couldn't wrap his head around the idea that it's not directly the Word of God.

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:54 pm

ha! They don't call it the King James bible for nothing. There are whole books that King James didn't like or agree with so he just left them out.

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:44 pm

The Christian's point of view is that the Bible ended up having exactly what God wanted in it...the Inspired Word of God. IF you believe in the concept of God, then it's not much of a stretch to figure He's perfectly capable of making sure the Bible contains what He wanted it to contain, and leaves out what He wanted left out (no earthly influence). It really makes no difference who wrote them, or what a particular person thought should be included, and what shouldn't...they were being guided to do so.

If you don't believe in God, then none of it really matters anyway.
~ Terry

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:37 pm

Ok, but if God is almighty and always correct then why would he need to edit his words? If He is always right then there had to have been some earthly influence. :)

JTChiTown
Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 7

Post by JTChiTown » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:55 pm

I'm gonna take this a different direction.

Why should anyone who doesn't have a student or doesn't directly fund the schools in question give a flying @$!#?

Just like here recently with the school in Mansfield(?) that had a blessing from when the school was built engraved into a wall. Unless your kid goes to that school, I don't see how you could argue your life has any impact on that whatsoever. And if it doesn't impact you, why should you be concerned?

I just think we as a society need to be less concerned with what everyone else is doing, and focus on ourselves and our communities.
Jeff

"Drive fast, attract Cops; Drive faster, attract Sponsors"

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:21 pm

I have a hard line view on topics like religion, gun control, abortion, gay marriage etc. I'm concerned about what is being taught in all schools not just my local ones because our future leaders of this country are being brain washed at a young age vs being taught just the facts as we know them.

When the agenda's of the few are pushed onto our young based on their beliefs or what they feel is right or wrong, we lose freedom.

I was raised Christian, I have since rejected that belief system and my mother rides my ass about how I am not raising my children to be Christian, that I have a responsibility to teach them the word of god....

I to talk religion with my kids, I encourage them to read the bible, the koran (that is how my English one is spelled), they have been to Buddhist temples. If they grow up and decide to be Christian I am ok with that, but I will not brain wash them into a belief. There is a very big difference between education and brain washing, sadly when it comes to conversational topics many schools tend to fall to the side of brain washing.
K1600

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:25 pm

DarcShadow wrote:Ok, but if God is almighty and always correct then why would he need to edit his words? If He is always right then there had to have been some earthly influence. :)
Edit how? There are translations. Sorry, not sure what you're asking.
~ Terry

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:22 am

The King James bible is an edited version of another bible. There are entire books left out. So either the original books were not the word of God, despite being included in the bible and God directed King James to fix it, or they were the word of God and King James took it upon himself to remove them. Either way the bible either did contain or does contain earthly edits.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:55 am

DarcShadow wrote:The King James bible is an edited version of another bible. There are entire books left out. So either the original books were not the word of God, despite being included in the bible and God directed King James to fix it, or they were the word of God and King James took it upon himself to remove them. Either way the bible either did contain or does contain earthly edits.
"The apocrypha" translated by Edgar J Goodspeed is a book of the removed parts of the bible, it is almost 500 pages and yes I have a copy.
K1600

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:37 am

DarcShadow wrote:The King James bible is an edited version of another bible. There are entire books left out. So either the original books were not the word of God, despite being included in the bible and God directed King James to fix it, or they were the word of God and King James took it upon himself to remove them. Either way the bible either did contain or does contain earthly edits.
Okay, got it.

God didn't magically place the first Bible on the planet...it was all written and compiled by humans. What I'm saying is I believe the Holy Bible is the Inspired Word of God...what God wanted in the Bible ended up in the Bible. Like I said, if you believe God is the Creator, then you'd have to believe he's perfectly capable of influencing His Guide for Life...which is essentially what the Holy Bible is.

There are many examples of people adding and deleting portions throughout history, even creating their own "bible". IF you believe in God, Jesus, and the Holy Bible, making up your own story / religion / god is bad business...I guess you could liken it to the highest level of treason, as we know it. The Bible is very clear on that subject.

And once again, I qualify my belief and opinion with "I'm not a Bible scholar". Just a blind sheep following the heard, drinking the Kool-Aid, however you see it. :-D
~ Terry

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:50 am

I have talked with Christians that have not studied the bible in depth to great detail but accepted what they learned about it through other channels. Maybe this is the IT nerd in me but I can't process that - if I have an immortal soul that is going to be in a good place forever or a bad place forever I would make it my life's work to make sure I get the good stuff. Especially considering the life span of a human is non-existent in the context of infinity.

I'm also the kind of person that can't be given an answer, if you can't explain the details to me with some studies or proof to back it up, then we don't have anything to talk about. I think my doctors hate me because I usually respond to statements with "why".

When I started digging for my spiritual answers I wanted all of the nuts and bolts and at the end of the day I have rejected the belief system based on what I have found, my own observations and some other items. There was a time that I would have told people "yes, Jesus died for my sins". But now, my response is, sin doesn't exist, maybe some dude named Jesus was crucified I dunno it's very possible.

When you start digging into the errors involved in transliteration (the bible was not translated, it was transliterated) that alone puts enough doubt in my mind to reject it. There have been preachers that have changed tracks due to their own digging and have been kicked out of the church for it. The concept of hell is a great one to look into, more and more preachers that dig into the underside are no longer preaching the "god is gonna burn your ass forever" concept.

I also find it interesting that the pope is now saying atheists can make it :-) gotta keep your product up to date and fresh so people keep buying it.
K1600

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:17 am

LonestarCBR wrote:
Okay, got it.

God didn't magically place the first Bible on the planet...it was all written and compiled by humans. What I'm saying is I believe the Holy Bible is the Inspired Word of God...what God wanted in the Bible ended up in the Bible. Like I said, if you believe God is the Creator, then you'd have to believe he's perfectly capable of influencing His Guide for Life...which is essentially what the Holy Bible is.

There are many examples of people adding and deleting portions throughout history, even creating their own "bible". IF you believe in God, Jesus, and the Holy Bible, making up your own story / religion / god is bad business...I guess you could liken it to the highest level of treason, as we know it. The Bible is very clear on that subject.

And once again, I qualify my belief and opinion with "I'm not a Bible scholar". Just a blind sheep following the heard, drinking the Kool-Aid, however you see it. :-D
Ok, but which bible is the correct one? The Koran is a bible but it's drastically different than the King James bible and both bibles are suppose to be the word of the same God. And people creating their own bible, who is to say they are not being inspired by God. Some guy created the first bible, the only difference between his and one someone creates today is age.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:38 am

I found the Koran to be shockingly similar to the king James.
K1600

WillK675

Post by WillK675 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:25 pm

Let me preface this with "I'm not a Biblical scholar either" .... What a lot of people fail to remember with the Bible. The writings were not written to form, or make the Bible. Especially the New Testament. Most of the writings were letters written and sent between the apostles, and the profits. At some point, someone, somewhere compiled these writings into the Bible.

Now, were all of these individual writings inspired by God? Yes , I believe so. And was whomever, that compiled them into the Bible inspired by God to do so? Yeah, probably. But as we all know these people were but human, and we as humans make mistakes. King David for good example. So with that, did man potentially negatively impact the outcome of the Bible? Possibly. The only thing that God wrote for man with his own hand, was the 10 commandments. And those were destroyed by man, and are the best example of how we as humans can mistakenly manipulate God's word.

For example, my biggest pet peeve in religion and people using religion for their own agendas... The 6th commandment. The writings of the commandments have been translated between languages, and mis-translated between languages many times. The 6th commandment is one of the biggest mis-translations to English made. Most will tell you the commandment is "Thou shalt not kill" ... this is wrong, and a mis-translation from the original to English. The actual Commandment is Thou shalt not commit murder.

So with that all in mind... The King James version of the Bible.. Was King James inspired by God to update the Bible? Yeah, probably. But did his own humanity, free-will, and propensity to make mistakes, cause him to remove writings that maybe he shouldn't have? I don't know, and won't until I meet my maker. But as man we also have a curiosity. So should we too, read and take to heart the original writings removed from the Bible? Again, I won't know until I meet my maker. But being writings originally inspired by God, I doubt he/she would be vengeful for me studying them.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:31 pm

DarcShadow wrote:
LonestarCBR wrote:
Okay, got it.

Ok, but which bible is the correct one? The Koran is a bible but it's drastically different than the King James bible and both bibles are suppose to be the word of the same God. And people creating their own bible, who is to say they are not being inspired by God. Some guy created the first bible, the only difference between his and one someone creates today is age.
There is a lot of stuff to dig into here...first answer, the one and only Holy Bible. It's easy enough for any of them to be based on the same Creator, God, because that ground work was laid out for them in the Holy Bible before the others came about (Koran, Mormon bible, and so on). Then you get someone coming along through history with a deity complex who wants to be the big cheese, puts his own spin on it, and people who are searching for answers will follow. Very sad to me personally. Some people are master manipulators.

Some people use alcohol, some drugs, and many other things, searching for happiness. No one ever said life was going to be easy, or without trials and tribulations. God doesn't promise us anything except His unconditional love and forgiveness, and a means by which to spend eternity in His presence. But we have to interact...it doesn't just magically happen.

The real beauty is that God grants us free will, to go our own way, make up our own minds, and He gives you the tool by which to live your life. It's your choice how you use it all, much like it's your choice to live as a law abiding citizen...get caught breaking the laws and there is a price to pay. Problem is, God always knows when you break His laws, there is no hiding from it, and at the end of the day, the price is pretty high, relatively speaking. But hey, it's my belief, I respect yours. I don't believe in beating people over the head with it, but I won't run from stating what I believe, or a discussion. For me personally, if one person listens and a seed is planted, then I've followed the Great Commission, which is to go forth and spread the good new of Jesus Christ". I'm pretty much a failure at this every day.

This started out with Satanism. And I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings or make them feel slighted, but to me, to support Satanism (even teaching it in schools) is to support evil in the world. That above all else is different that the "religions" we're debating. Pretty simple for me...but I'm a simple kinda guy.
~ Terry

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:32 pm

fixxervi6 wrote:I found the Koran to be shockingly similar to the king James.
Up to the New Testament I would assume.
~ Terry

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:37 pm

WillK675 wrote:Let me preface this with "I'm not a Biblical scholar either" .... What a lot of people fail to remember with the Bible. The writings were not written to form, or make the Bible. Especially the New Testament. Most of the writings were letters written and sent between the apostles, and the profits. At some point, someone, somewhere compiled these writings into the Bible.

Now, were all of these individual writings inspired by God? Yes , I believe so. And was whomever, that compiled them into the Bible inspired by God to do so? Yeah, probably. But as we all know these people were but human, and we as humans make mistakes. King David for good example. So with that, did man potentially negatively impact the outcome of the Bible? Possibly. The only thing that God wrote for man with his own hand, was the 10 commandments. And those were destroyed by man, and are the best example of how we as humans can mistakenly manipulate God's word.

For example, my biggest pet peeve in religion and people using religion for their own agendas... The 6th commandment. The writings of the commandments have been translated between languages, and mis-translated between languages many times. The 6th commandment is one of the biggest mis-translations to English made. Most will tell you the commandment is "Thou shalt not kill" ... this is wrong, and a mis-translation from the original to English. The actual Commandment is Thou shalt not commit murder.

So with that all in mind... The King James version of the Bible.. Was King James inspired by God to update the Bible? Yeah, probably. But did his own humanity, free-will, and propensity to make mistakes, cause him to remove writings that maybe he shouldn't have? I don't know, and won't until I meet my maker. But as man we also have a curiosity. So should we too, read and take to heart the original writings removed from the Bible? Again, I won't know until I meet my maker. But being writings originally inspired by God, I doubt he/she would be vengeful for me studying them.
Well stated.

On a side subject, I always find it strange that people use #6 to argue against Capital Punishment. You're exactly right..."murder". When you have a prescribed penalty for a certain act, to me it then becomes "justice being served". "Sir, here is your ticket for riding 15 over the posted limit". "Damnit, okay"

"Sir, here is your lethal injection regimen for murdering 1 over the limit". "Oh shit, you guys were serious?".
~ Terry

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:45 pm

LonestarCBR wrote:
fixxervi6 wrote:I found the Koran to be shockingly similar to the king James.
Up to the New Testament I would assume.
I don't remember what stories are in which testament, one thing that really stood out to me was the exodus from Egypt, the Koran claims the people were Muslims. the "stories" are pretty much the same just the details are a little different.

Satanism is not evil and does not teach evil. Main stream satanism started as tongue in cheek and grew into a following and eventually a "religion" but they do not perform or endorse acts of evil, they do not worship the "bad guy from the bible"

for example (from their church site) "As Anton LaVey explained in his classic work The Satanic Bible, Man—using his brain—invented all the Gods, doing so because many of our species cannot accept or control their personal egos, feeling compelled to conjure up one or a multiplicity of characters who can act without hindrance or guilt upon whims and desires. All Gods are thus externalized forms, magnified projections of the true nature of their creators, personifying aspects of the universe or personal temperaments which many of their followers find to be troubling. Worshipping any God is thus worshipping by proxy those who invented that God. Since the Satanist understands that all Gods are fiction, instead of bending a knee in worship to—or seeking friendship or unity with—such mythical entities, he places himself at the center of his own subjective universe as his own highest value."

religious freedom is religious freedom, if you let one in you must let them all in.
K1600