Msrc 3-29, 316 trackdays

soslow
Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 0

Msrc 3-29, 316 trackdays

Post by soslow » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:57 pm

Guess who? I am alive and back among the living.

I will be attending the trackday noted above running in the kiddie group. Anybody else attending?

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider

Re: Msrc 3-29, 316 trackdays

Post by dufremle » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:45 pm

Welcome back! Been a while.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

soslow
Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider

Post by soslow » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:41 pm

Thanks Jim, i will try to make the rides and dinners again. Life has settled down and i have time for stuff other thank making money.

Here is the link to the day if anyone is interested
https://316trackdays.com/product-catego ... msrc32921/

JeffStrom
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 7

Post by JeffStrom » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:08 am

The BIG NEWS... They are repaving the 1.7 mi track right now. That means the 29th will be one of the first MC track days to use the new surface! Now, I do not know what they are doing the old surface, if they are actually taking ALL of the old pavement completely out, or if they are just grinding it down a bit and putting a few inches on top to smooth it out. They also claim to be fixing the drainage, so hopefully that spot just past ricochet will stay dry. Their schedule seemed pretty aggressive but they have had pretty decent weather so far. If anyone hasn't been to MSRC recently, they have paved the entire space between the original paddock area and the fence, meaning a LOT more parking area. They have also installed a permanent cover over a portion of that new paddock area which is nice, especially when the wind kicks up in the afternoons and starts throwing easy-ups around. Hopefully when I find out if my work schedule will cooperate, they won't have sold out yet.
Jeff - Street Triple 675R / GSX-R600 / F850GSA

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:42 pm

The condition of the 1.7 was one of the factors that helped me decide to move away from sport bikes.
K1600

JeffStrom
Club Member
Club Member

Post by JeffStrom » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:41 pm

A little more info on the re-paving: The did some work on the pond between Ricochet and Boot Hill, increasing capacity. They fixed/improved the drain the goes under the track just past Ricochet. Apparently the old pavement was somewhere in the 8" - 12" thick range. What they did was strip about 3" off the top of the entire track and completely dig up a few places that were known problem areas. Then they laid new asphalt over everything. As of yesterday, if nothing broke down, they were to finish primary paving by tonight and let it rest until Saturday. I hear the paving was done so that there are no seams. I do not know if the new composition is going to be as hard as the old.

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer

Post by dufremle » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:04 pm

Cool. May need to swing by on the way back Saturday to take a look. I also want to see the new paddock area. It was pretty big the last time I was there.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

JeffStrom
Club Member
Club Member

Post by JeffStrom » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:53 am

I was able to get on the newly paved track on Friday. It is better, but far from perfect. I think the biggest improvement is that the seems that used to run the full length of the track, dividing it into three lanes, are gone. So you don't have to worry about running along one while leaned over, you can set your line however you want. Generally the surface is quite good. It isn't as slick first thing in the morning, but we'll have to see over time. Otherwise the biggest problem I had with the old surface was the bumps coming out of ricochet. I had high hopes, but they were dashed. The bumps are not gone, they have just moved. Prior to resurfacing, the bumps were sort of down the middle. If you drove all the way out you would miss the bulk of them. Now, the bumps have moved to the outside and sooner on the exit of the turn, so if you are on the line for a hot lap, you run right over them. If you hold off your turn in for ricochet just a little you can stay towards the middle and it is a smoother (not perfect) ride. The smoothest ride is actually the inside line you would take when passing someone on the exit. There is also a good size bump, nearly full width, on the front straight just before you enter rattlesnake. It isn't so close to corner entry that it is a problem, but you will feel it. There is the beginnings of a pothole in boot hill. This is the first turn of the back triple. Won't be a problem if you stay close to the curb your first time through, then you'll see it and can avoid it in the future. There was talk about them doing a patch, but I don't know if that will have happened by tomorrow.

The guy who runs things, Jeff, said that there were some issues with the paving, especially the areas where they laid new drain pipe under the track, which accounts for the bumps after ricochet and before rattlesnake. They say the contractor is going to come back in a month or two, after the pavement has settled, and fix these issues. Time will tell.

JeffStrom
Club Member
Club Member

Post by JeffStrom » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:14 pm

And while I was out there on Friday, I noticed a bunch of guys standing just over the wall from the hot pit wearing Ducati shirts. Then there was this guy on the track making even the fast guys look like stationary obstacles. Turns out it was Loris Baz. Here he is just about to pass me like I'm standing still.
LorisBazAtCresson.png

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer

Post by dufremle » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:26 pm

Nice. Maybe he was taking video and you might be able to find it.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer

Post by dufremle » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:29 pm

I found this:

Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

JeffStrom
Club Member
Club Member

Post by JeffStrom » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:53 pm

Good find Jim. You can see him ride over the bums I was talking about starting around 0:25. You can see the bike bounce around, but the stabilization on the video is really good. And that first guy he passes isn't me.

JeffStrom
Club Member
Club Member

Post by JeffStrom » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:06 pm

Here's another one of that shiny new bike passing me like I'm a stationary object.
LorisBazAtCresson2.png