LSTD @ MSRC on Saturday, 03/03/12

Striple
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Expert
Achievement count: 42

LSTD @ MSRC on Saturday, 03/03/12

Post by Striple » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:37 pm

Cloudy Pants decided to surprise me with a LS track day today. Its this Saturday, 03/03/12, at MSRC.

Gonna be a bit chilly in the morning (low 40s), but the track should come in as usual after lunch. If anybody else is interested, I'm going to be at the usual spot.
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Re: LSTD @ MSRC on Saturday, 03/03/12

Post by Firewa11 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:39 pm

Nice! Sounds like fun!
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:40 pm

Think they will have any open spots? I doubt i can go, because i'll be out in ft worth that night, but just incase
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

WillK675
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 35

Post by WillK675 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:43 pm

Saturday is supposed to be nice. I'm going to be out riding. I'll swing by the track to hang out for a bit.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:49 pm

any ride leader want to post up a ride out there? I just remembered my tires arn't good enough for the track
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles

El Diabro
Achievement count: 18

Post by El Diabro » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:39 pm

I'm in Striple!
Who all seen the Leprechaun say YEAH!!!!

'06 Busa *aka The Big Girl*
'05 GSXR 750 *aka Baby Gixxer*

Striple

Post by Striple » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:46 am

El Diabro wrote:I'm in Striple!
:rockout:
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

Striple

Post by Striple » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:36 am

We had an excellent day at MSRC yesterday. A big thank you to Diabro, Grinner, Pink, and Miles for riding and/or hanging out. And of course to Cloudy Pants for the fantastic support yesterday! Would you believe that some dumbass forgot their bike key at the house ( :icon_sterb1881bq: ), and Cloudy Pants went all the way back to get it. :icon_thumb:

This was my second event with Lone Star, and I really enjoyed this one. Like Ridesmart, LSTD offers three levels of riders: a C-group for beginners, a B-group for intermediate riders, and an A-group for advanced riders. LSTD has a close affiliation with CMRA, so there was an obvious abundance of racers there (mostly in the A-group, but a few novices and pro novices in the B-group as well). They also had both tire and suspension vendors present, along with Hart photography, as always. When you sign up for a Lone Star track day, you basically purchase track time (i.e., open track). This is what I did last time I went to an LSTD event, and it was refreshing to not having to rush back and forth between classroom and sessions. This time I registered for their advanced riding school in the B-group, which provided me with all-day 1-on-1 instruction and video material. My instructor was a former CMRA racer, who used to do endurance races on an SV - the perfect match for me. There was no classroom time at all, just the instructor and I working on those aspects that I wanted to improve on. He followed me around on the track and got video of multiple sessions, which we would then review together after each one. This still left plenty of time to relax between sessions, and I never felt rushed at all.

The track itself started off in pretty bad condition. Between the cold morning temperatures (40s F) and the usual dust film, the track was in the slickest condition that I have seen. During the first session (LSTD does not do a round-robin in the A- and B-groups), I slid in nearly every corner of the track. In fact, my instructor initially thought that he had a flat tire, because the tires were sliding that excessively, despite our putting through the turns in that first session. That session was just ridiculous, and had more to do with survival than anything else. I'm actually surprised that nobody went down during that session - it was THAT slick! The second session was significantly better, and by the third session the tires (I was running PP2CTs, 29f, 29r) were gripping nicely. By lunchtime, the sun was shining and the track had come in all the way. Both Diabro and I rode all but the last session, which has become a bit of a tradition for a few of us in the club.

Safety-wise, the event was well-done. As always, there were a few DBs that were ignoring the rules, but most of those were quickly regulated. My instructor pulled off a couple of guys that were making unsafe passes, and the rest of the day was uneventful in the B-group. Diabro got cut off by a guy entering the track once, and I think he sorted that one out himself ( :spank: ). I really like the fact that LSTD puts fewer riders on the track than RS, as it makes things less cluddered on the track, which in turn always feels safer to me. There were also more corner stations manned with corner workers, which is another thing that I wish RS would do. There was one serious crash yesterday, when a C-group rider went wide in buzzard's neck, ran off, and apparently grabbed the front brake, causing both him and the bike to cartwheel through the air. He briefly stood up, then seemed to collapse back down and stayed there for some time. The session was red-flagged, and the ambulance had to come out. Apparently he had a compound fracture in his arm, but was otherwise okay.

All in all we had a fantastic day. The riding was a blast, and the company was perfect!

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:22 pm

It was fun hanging out with y'all, I just wish I could have stayed longer. Diabro I didn't get to see much of you since the session was cut short, sorry. Striple you were looking good out there. There was one time coming out of big bend that you were blazing! Fun day for everyone.
The world needs Miles

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:34 am

Striple wrote:Would you believe that some dumbass forgot their bike key at the house ( :icon_sterb1881bq: ), and Cloudy Pants went all the way back to get it. :icon_thumb:
You're not the first to do that, or the furtherest away.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

Rhino
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:50 am

I keep my spare bike key in my truck glove box, just in case. :D