KTM Street Demos Grapevine 4/28

Charity Events, out for some dirt riding, car trips, non club weekend trips, etc go here.
JeffStrom
Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 7

KTM Street Demos Grapevine 4/28

Post by JeffStrom » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:53 am

No details on what bikes will be available to demo I.e. I don't know if they'll put out a Super Duke, but even if they don't I'd also like to try the 1290 Super Adventure and their new E-Bike.

DATE
4/28/2018
VENUE GRAPEVINE POWERSPORTS
PRICE FREE
Grapevine, TX
The KTM Ride Orange Street Demo program provides an exciting opportunity for customers to experience first-hand the defining attributes of KTM’s READY TO RACE philosophy — purity, performance, adventure and extreme.
Demo Riding: 10AM - 3 PM
To obtain more information about the Ride Orange Street Demo event near you, please contact your local KTM dealer.

In order to participate in the KTM Street Bike Ride Orange Program you must be 25 years or older for 690cc and above and 21yrs old or above for 390cc. 21-24yrs old can ONLY ride 390’s. Experienced riders only (no beginners)

Please bring the following:

1. Government Issued Photo ID with Your Motorcycle Endorsement
2. Signed Waiver
3. Proper Riding Apparel including but not limited to:

DOT approved Helmet
Eye Protection
Gloves
Long Sleeves
Pants
Sturdy Foot Wear

KTM staff can revoke riding privileges at any time for any reason deemed necessary

Note: No passengers are allowed at any time.
Please see a KTM Representative for more details.
Jeff - Street Triple 675R / GSX-R600 / F850GSA

Tooner
Club Member
Club Member

Re: KTM Street Demos Grapevine 4/28

Post by Tooner » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:58 am

JeffStrom wrote:No details on what bikes will be available to demo I.e. I don't know if they'll put out a Super Duke, but even if they don't I'd also like to try the 1290 Super Adventure and their new E-Bike.

DATE
4/28/2018
VENUE GRAPEVINE POWERSPORTS
PRICE FREE
Grapevine, TX
Jeff thanks for posting this, I will be with Mike dirt riding Trophy club and may stop on my way home to check out some KTM's. Wish it were a demo of their dirt bikes.....
Shane
Current ride and track: 2009 CBR 1000rr
2018 crf450r

JeffStrom
Club Member
Club Member

Post by JeffStrom » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:12 am

Ty Howard is our ride leader.

Tried 1290 Super Adventure R, 1090 Adventure R, and 1290 Adventure S.

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Achievement count: 0

Post by dufremle » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:39 pm

Buying?
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

JeffStrom
Club Member
Club Member

Post by JeffStrom » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:25 pm

No. Not anytime soon. The 690 Enduro would have been nice to try, but apparently they crashed it a few days ago.

The 1290 engine is truly awesome, I wish I could have explored it more than they let you on these rides. Pulls hard from the bottom to the top. Comparing to the R1200GS I rode a moth or so ago the KTM has more power, way more than someone like me can use off-road. The BMW electronics are more comprehensive. The BMW ride was more luxurious on the road. The biggest difference between KTM and BMW, besides the engine, is that the KTM R version (Rally? read off road) model doesn't have dynamic suspension, but even so I think it would be more capable off-road than the BMW, you'd would possibly want to stop and change the settings if you were going from twisty pavement to Jeep roads. The KTM S model does have dynamic suspension, but the S model is the sport (read street) version with cast wheels (19, 17). The S is a much better street experience than the R, but the R comes with bigger spoke wheels (21, 18), crash bars, and a really solid skid plate.

Also, this may come as a shock (/s), but the KTM is narrower and it feels that way, not to say that the BMW is bad, the BMW feels much more nimble than it looks. I really didn't feel the weight difference (BMW is about 50lbs heavier I think) while riding. I think the BMW would make a better on road touring bike, but the KTM would be a better true adventure bike. Honestly though, at my skill level, I don't think either bike would be the limiting factor on or off road.

In the end the smaller 1090 might be a better bike for me, if I were leaning towards KTM, which I probably am not, in spite of how much I love the engine.