Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Re: They have a Dyno

Post by milesmiles » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:28 am

bailout rides a harley...vrod
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:31 am

There is loud, then there is "thats just gay" loud

I do notice that when I'm on the 250 in traffic people will actually look at me, on the 750, I've almost been hit so many times I've lost count. the 750 is really really quiet.
K1600

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:38 am

Yeah, I went to the 2-brothers V.A.L.E. shorty pipe on my 750. Absolutely awesome pipe and incredibly loud. Plus on the track it shoots out foot long blue flames. Heh.
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

Rhino
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:11 am

I'm just thinking if you don't want to get hit, don't ride in blind spots. I can't remember the last time somebody tried to merge into me, and my Versys is quiet as can be. It's all about riding style, pipes have nothing to do with it.

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:28 am

DemonDuck wrote:I dont ride with earplugs much because im usually scared I wont be able to hear my scala rider if I do ... I might try it one day though. Also I suggest to everyone to get exhaust .... and as loud as you can for safety. One more thing to tell the cars ....HEY im next to ya. I dont even put my baffels in .... ever! lol.
Loud pipes don't do jack other this piss peoplel off AFTER you pass them. It's a matter of physics, no matter how loud you make your bike, anyone in front of you is not really going to hear it till after you go past them.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

El Diabro
Achievement count: 18

Post by El Diabro » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:06 am

Rhino wrote:I'm just thinking if you don't want to get hit, don't ride in blind spots. I can't remember the last time somebody tried to merge into me, and my Versys is quiet as can be. It's all about riding style, pipes have nothing to do with it.
when you're stuck on I-35 when it's gridlocked because stupid drivers don't pay attention, any lil bit helps. I've seen people doing incredibly dumb a$$ things to not pay attention, so if something besides my right side fairing gets their attention I'll hope for it. When you're stuck in traffic where it' takes you 35 minutes to go 10 miles sometimes you're in a blindspot whether you want to or not. No one is saying it's a 110% deterrent, but any little bit helps
Who all seen the Leprechaun say YEAH!!!!

'06 Busa *aka The Big Girl*
'05 GSXR 750 *aka Baby Gixxer*

El Diabro

Post by El Diabro » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:07 am

DarcShadow wrote:
DemonDuck wrote:I dont ride with earplugs much because im usually scared I wont be able to hear my scala rider if I do ... I might try it one day though. Also I suggest to everyone to get exhaust .... and as loud as you can for safety. One more thing to tell the cars ....HEY im next to ya. I dont even put my baffels in .... ever! lol.
Loud pipes don't do jack other this piss peoplel off AFTER you pass them. It's a matter of physics, no matter how loud you make your bike, anyone in front of you is not really going to hear it till after you go past them.
I've heard plenty of motorcycles behind me....

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:10 am

DarcShadow wrote:
I think it depends on how loud we are talking, on the 250 when I'm passing a car, say 5 mph difference in speed, they look at me so I know they hear me.

When I do the same thing in the 750 they don't look, and many times they have moved over on me, I've yet to have someone move over on me on the 250.

Now, if your rattling my windows when you go by, then yea, thats just pulling the "hey look at me I'm cool" loudness and that, I that I really really hate.

Like I said, there is loud, then there is the "thats just gay" loud
Rhino wrote:I'm just thinking if you don't want to get hit, don't ride in blind spots. I can't remember the last time somebody tried to merge into me, and my Versys is quiet as can be. It's all about riding style, pipes have nothing to do with it.
Every time I've had to dodge a hunk of metal I wasn't in a blind spot, several of the times I was actualy at their drivers side window, they simply didn't look, one lady moved over on me, I was watching her, she noticed me, got startled and moved back into her lane. Then without skipping a beat, while still looking right at me just simply moved back into my lane. I was slowly passing her, no lane splitting, nothing fancy, no blind spot.

I was passing a semi on 820, I ended up between a concrete wall and that white line while looking up at her in her cab trying not to shit my pants while blowing my worthless horn. no lane splitting, not riding the blind spot, not going a lot faster or a lot slower, she just whipped the wheel over crazy fast.

I noticed in my mirror a man behind me riding close and on his phone, traffic ahead was stop and go, it came to a quick stop I went between the cars and stopped, his car came to a stop right where I was sitting. No blind spots, nothing fancy. This has happened to me exactly like this twice, I stay lined up between the cars now.

I was sitting in stopped traffic merging from 121 onto 183, I hear tires screaming and I look behind me to see a woman skidding to a stop right behind me, I got lucky, no blind spot, no wheelies, no lane splitting.

I had one guy chase me, passed him, probably doing 10 mph faster than him as I try to keep the speed delta's low, when he decided to pull a dukes of hazard and just whip it into my lane, I was about where his mirror was when he jereked the wheel into my lane, I dodged to the outside then gave him the wtf hands up and he went ballistic and started chasing me down 183.

Had a woman in her car move into my lane, I was in the outside lane and I was right at her drivers window slowly passing, just moved on over, I went onto the line and she just road there with me cause she wanted to pass a semi, I was close enough that I touched her window with my hand, she didn't seam to really care.

Whenever I know the traffic is bad I take back roads but, sometimes you just get caught in it.

I guess its all about my riding style.

edit: my point is, maybe if my bike was just a little louder, maybe they would have noticed me, please note, I hate the gay harley shake the ground and windows loudness and agree all that does is piss people off.
Last edited by fixxervi6 on Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
K1600

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:36 am

El Diabro wrote:
DarcShadow wrote:
I've heard plenty of motorcycles behind me....
Yes, but how close were they? Any time I'm in my truck/car and get passed by a harley, it's not till they are an by rear quarter panel before I really hear anything and by that point it's to late, I've either started my lane change or they are beside me and I see them. And if you're the oncoming traffic, or pulling out of a side street, by they time they are close enough to hear, if you haven't seen them already it's too late, you've already started your turn or what ever.

People look at you on the 250, becuase it's wound up so high, and your still going so slow they wonder what the hell is going on, and have plenty of time to look at you as you go by.

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:38 am

El Diabro wrote:sometimes you're in a blindspot whether you want to or not.
Left lane, keep pace with the car to your right. Stay in front of their windshield.

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:53 am

I picked my exhaust because it is loud but not annoying loud to me... it has a nice deep sound to it. Will it keep someone from hitting me ... maybe not. I can tell you that I have had people start to pull over into my lane as I was passing .... maybe 5 or 10 mph faster than they where going and when I gun it to get out of there way they notice the change in noise it would seem. Either way im not counting on the noise to stop them.... but if that one guy with his window down does hear me then that is enough. To me its kinda like lights.... will they make someone see you.... not unless they look in the first place. But for those that do look it does help... and that one person is all that matters. Why is there a horn on the bike? I can promise you that my exhaust is louder than my horn.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

haucke
Achievement count: 0

Post by haucke » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:03 pm

All these things happen because the news does not report what happens when someone kills someone else on the road, Involuntary Man Slaughter. Think about that for a second. I see on the news where a motorcyclist is killed but you never hear about the trial that takes place afterword. The public is ignorant of the consequences both to the victim and perpetrator.
If they hear about Mary Joe is going into court today because she killed someone making an illegal lane change and is charged with involuntary manslaughter a possible 10 year sentance… I bet a lot more people would think about actually looking into their blind spot before changing lanes.
2000 Corvette (White)
2000 Silverado (White)
2002 Harley RoadKing (Not White)
2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR (White)
2006 Fruit of the Loom (Mostly White)
2009 Specialized Tarmac (White)
2010 YZF R1 (White)
1963 Blonde (White)

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:13 pm

Maybe, but I doubt it. You're right though, you never hear about the trial, although you do occasionally hear about the family sueing.

Grinner
Achievement count: 25

Post by Grinner » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:39 pm

The sad part about what you are saying is that just like a case I was reading on SV Rider...Woman kills rider because she was doing her nails.
You know what her penalty is even though she admits to not being aware and take resposibility for being behind the wheel?????

18mths in jail...with release for work and church.

What kinda horseshit is that???!!!
I kill someone and Im bettin I would be gone for more than 25 years!

Our judicial system just as our government is a bought and paid for system!
:D
Copper K3SV650S & K3SV1000S
Enjoy your Life...Don't Die Young Feeling Old When You Can Die Old Feeling Young!!
"Grinner is carrying the Black man-card, aka he has aquired enough man points his card is upgraded to the top teir." - fixxervi6

Bailout

Post by Bailout » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:22 am

fixxervi6 wrote:There is loud, then there is "thats just gay" loud

I do notice that when I'm on the 250 in traffic people will actually look at me, on the 750, I've almost been hit so many times I've lost count. the 750 is really really quiet.

Admittedly the V-Rod is one of those really loud bikes, but for over 20 years no I have not cared or "Picked" any exhaust. My Exhaust choice goes with the perfomrance ofthe bike. If that happens to be really loud then it is what it is.

What I have actually done with this bike is make the Exhaust and performance selectable with removeable baffles and airbox restrictions that are adjustable so I can tune the bike on teh fly for what I want it to do.
When the buildings look like buildings..........Get something in the WIND ASSHOLE!!!!!!!!
2004 V-Rod 1250
2010 48" Gravity Longboard
1999 Old Man corvette Convertible

NickS

Post by NickS » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:58 am

Agreed x1000
'08 Kawasaki Concours 14
'10 Kawasaki Z1000

doughboy

Post by doughboy » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:09 pm

I went to their customer appreciation day and got the new bike washed. I was the first one of the day on the dyno and It did ok for a cruiser. I really need to get some pipes for it and a tune.
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value!

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:10 pm

NickS wrote:

Agreed x1000
I wasn't in a blind spot today, riding long 183 doing about 25 mph in line with everyone else, and a guy on his cell phone moved over on me, I was at his window.

Not approaching his window, or slowing down to be at his window, I was crusing along, at his window, sitting in line with everyone else stuck in traffic.

I was doing the exact same speed as everyone else, following at a safe distance from the car in front of me, had cars on either side, I was at this guys window, and he moved over on me.

How could I have adjusted my riding style to prevent that?

Happens ALL the damn time to me on 183, all the time.
K1600

El Diabro

Post by El Diabro » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:55 am

Yeah, I'm like you Fixxer, no matter how we ride, people just don't pay attention at all. This morning there's a lady on 35 in a Dodge Durango, going from left to right inside the lane, and I go past her, she's using both hands to text, not even watching the road, and then later as we come to a stop, she looks like she's grading papers because I can see her reading, and then writing on the paper, putting it aside to grab another paper, and repeating the entire process......freaking idiots on the road and she was causing more of a back up.....

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:06 am

Next to a window is still pretty much a blind spot. People don't head check. If you're not out in front of them, you're in a spot to get run over. Me personally, I'll crowd the guy in front of me a little to make sure I'm positioned well for the guy to my right. I also make sure to ride on the right-hand side of the left lane, so I'm pretty much right up next to the car to my right.

El Diabro

Post by El Diabro » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:15 am

but when you are in traffic, sometimes riding right up on the person in front of you still puts you right next to someone....when you're stop and go, or crawling on I-35 in the morning or afternoon rush hour, it's a domino effect and so no matter what you do, you're usually surrounded when it's not open road

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:22 am

True, but in stop and go you can back off and let the car next to you get just far enough that they won't hit you. Plus in real stop and go, who cares if they come into your lane. You could duck-paddle the bike out of the way at those speeds. There is certainly time to knock on the window and have a not-so-friendly conversation before they can even finish the lane change.

Grinner
Achievement count: 25

Post by Grinner » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:44 am

ahhhhhhh....the joys of not living in the craptroplex anymore!!!
:D
Copper K3SV650S & K3SV1000S
Enjoy your Life...Don't Die Young Feeling Old When You Can Die Old Feeling Young!!
"Grinner is carrying the Black man-card, aka he has aquired enough man points his card is upgraded to the top teir." - fixxervi6

Bailout

Post by Bailout » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:48 am

I am a door kicker! Even had a guy want to file it on insureance, aftert a brief discussion he decided that if he was close enought to me to get kicked he might not want his insurance to know about it.
When the buildings look like buildings..........Get something in the WIND ASSHOLE!!!!!!!!
2004 V-Rod 1250
2010 48" Gravity Longboard
1999 Old Man corvette Convertible