Keeping your emotions in check

This is the general Discussion area used for....General Discussions. Talk anything here just keep it clean and no spam.
milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Keeping your emotions in check

Post by milesmiles » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:22 am

Today driving to work a truck pulled out in front of me forcing me into the turning lane. It wasn't a huge deal or anything, i had slowed down enough which ended putting me right next to his window. I just put hand up nothing more. He flipped me off, I just shook my head and about the same time i was putting my left hand on the bars he swerved HARD at me. He came about two feet, maybe less from hitting me, forcing me to brake hard. He then dove off into stopped traffic, i pulled up next to him(not thinking clearly) and started screaming, he wouldn't even look at me. I couldn't believe someone would try to hurt another person for no good reason at all. I jumped in front of several cars so i wouldn't be in front of him waiting at a light. He then took off honking the horn at me and cut off where the intersection split.

I was pretty shaken up, but didn't even notice when this was happening because i was so furious. I wasn't thinking clearly when i stopped to try to talk to him and to be honest lucky he didn't take off trying to hit me again. So just a reminder, while you may be on a fast bike that can pull away or stop quickly, you can still be taken out if you put yourself back into those situations. Try to keep your emotions in check and call yourself lucky, just remove yourself from the situation and be able to ride another day.
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Re: Keeping your emotions in check

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:28 am

CHL
K1600

Polokid69
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 23

Post by Polokid69 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:38 am

I agree miles, when it comes to cagers, better to just leave them alone since they have a lot more steel around them
Current Bike:
KTM RC390

Previous Bikes:
2007 Kawasaki ZZR600
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
2002 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6
2000 Kawasaki Ninja EX250
1983 Kawasaki GPZ550
1980 Yamaha RD400
1978 Yamaha DT 125
1978 Yamaha YZ 125
1975 Yamaha DT 100

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:46 am

fixxervi6 wrote:CHL
How would that have helped me at all? Other than pulling up to him after i did exactly what needed to be done.

On that note i'm for CHL when used properly, i don't see how that should have ever come into play here though.
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:56 am

Be nice, if he continues to escalate until its a real threat, defend yourself. I am a very nice person while carrying.
K1600

Pooty
Achievement count: 0

Post by Pooty » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:05 am

Glad nothing happened--
Easy to say blow it off-hard to do
I take it too personal and with age have been
able to much more. A lot depends how close
they come to killing me though

U-Turn
Achievement count: 31

Post by U-Turn » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:40 am

Follow them. I've done that with ppl having an aggressive day. After a bit they realize they are leading you to the home, work, wherever, you can see them either be nicer or start trying to lose you in traffic. Then peel off. They know you could have followed them home. Maybe they'll think next time.
If a service vehicle take a picture and make sure they see you do it. The dred knowing your calling their office for bad driving.
Sitting on the couch, watching TV, isn't living.
Triumph 955

txt 8..223.0762 to ride.
-

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:41 am

U-Turn wrote:Follow them. I've done that with ppl having an aggressive day. After a bit they realize they are leading you to the home, work, wherever, you can see them either be nicer or start trying to lose you in traffic. Then peel off. They know you could have followed them home. Maybe they'll think next time.
If a service vehicle take a picture and make sure they see you do it. The dred knowing your calling their office for bad driving.
Follow them? smh...
K1600

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:46 am

fixxervi6 wrote:
U-Turn wrote:Follow them. I've done that with ppl having an aggressive day. After a bit they realize they are leading you to the home, work, wherever, you can see them either be nicer or start trying to lose you in traffic. Then peel off. They know you could have followed them home. Maybe they'll think next time.
Follow them? smh...
:icon_whs0be: Karl, did you not read the last few lines of my post?!?! :-o
The world needs Miles

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:01 am

I agree with Miles. Keep your emotions in check as best as possible. Remember you are representing all motorcycle riders out there. What I have come to realize over the years is most of the time cagers when they screw up don't even KNOW they cut you off or did something of the sort. What they see is somebody pulling up next to them flipping them off or screaming at them, and of course their reaction is like WTF?!

Following someone is idiotic advice. Especially on a motorcycle. What if someone cut you off, they didn't even know it, and suddenly there is some dude on a crotch rocket flipping you off waving arms at you, following you, then you pull over and they come up to your window screaming at you some more? People get shot all the time for less.

Best advice? Pull over, take a breather, calm down, and don't let someone take away your enjoyment of riding just because they are having a bad day, you are having a bad day, or whatever. Same advice I give anyone riding on the street or the track. Pull over, get off the bike, take a breath, relax, get your feelings in check, and get the adrenaline out of your system. Adrenaline will kill you if you let it get the best of you.
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

WickerMan
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 1

Post by WickerMan » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:02 am

Pull that hog iron and that's a deadly conduct charge. Point it at them, and they are afraid for their life, assault with a deadly weapon.

You know they are going to lie to the police, officer I didn't see him, then he pulled up next to me saying he was going to kill me, I way trying to get away when I accidentally swerved toward him.

I'm an emotional person, it's hard not to retaliate. Like Scott said though, they have the cage, it's best just to let it go. They could be unstable, seems like the case here, it's a lose/lose situation. Remember the lady that ran over the guy on the Ducati in California, I bet he thought he could get away, and never dreamed that something like that would happen.

I'm glad you posted this. It's not a matter of if, but when we will all be in a situation like this.
What is up with this space?
2015 ZX-6R 30th Anniversary
2014 CBR500R HRC
2007 Ruckus winter camo

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:12 am

WickerMan wrote:Pull that hog iron and that's a deadly conduct charge. Point it at them, and they are afraid for their life, assault with a deadly weapon.

You know they are going to lie to the police, officer I didn't see him, then he pulled up next to me saying he was going to kill me, I way trying to get away when I accidentally swerved toward him.

I'm an emotional person, it's hard not to retaliate. Like Scott said though, they have the cage, it's best just to let it go. They could be unstable, seems like the case here, it's a lose/lose situation. Remember the lady that ran over the guy on the Ducati in California, I bet he thought he could get away, and never dreamed that something like that would happen.

I'm glad you posted this. It's not a matter of if, but when we will all be in a situation like this.
What is a hog iron?
K1600

Polokid69
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Polokid69 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:18 am

fixxervi6 wrote:
WickerMan wrote:Pull that hog iron and that's a deadly conduct charge. Point it at them, and they are afraid for their life, assault with a deadly weapon.

What is a hog iron?
Son, that's Texan for handgun
Current Bike:
KTM RC390

Previous Bikes:
2007 Kawasaki ZZR600
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
2002 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6
1983 Kawasaki GPZ550
1980 Yamaha RD400
1978 Yamaha DT 125
1978 Yamaha YZ 125
1975 Yamaha DT 100

Polokid69
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Polokid69 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:19 am

Also called a hog leg
Current Bike:
KTM RC390

Previous Bikes:
2007 Kawasaki ZZR600
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
2002 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6
1983 Kawasaki GPZ550
1980 Yamaha RD400
1978 Yamaha DT 125
1978 Yamaha YZ 125
1975 Yamaha DT 100

Striple
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Expert
Achievement count: 42

Post by Striple » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:22 am

Polokid69 wrote:
fixxervi6 wrote: What is a hog iron?
Son, that's Texan for handgun
:SideSplittingLaughter: :SideSplittingLaughter:
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:27 am

Well if I pull my weapon someone is getting shot, it's not a device to threaten with, that's just stupid.
K1600

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Achievement count: 0

Post by dufremle » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:43 am

Never follow them unless you are on the phone with 911 and leading the cops to them. You would be considered the aggressor. If they follow you then they become the aggressor and you have a good chance of putting them in jail. This is a good time to have your Sena linked to your phone so you can talk to the cops as they follow you.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:47 am

Ya know, i thought about turning on my sena and calling the cops, but i didn't have my bluetooth turned on.

A big reason why i didn't do anything more, and thankful, is that i had to be at work and i didn't want to be late. :SideSplittingLaughter:
The world needs Miles

Striple

Post by Striple » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:02 am

My commute to work is over 100 miles roundtrip, so that is a lot of time and distance to come across road-raging cagers. I usually employ one of two approaches, depending on the situation:

1. Ignore them. I'll shake my head, but won't engage or reciprocate their action. This is the ultimate "keep calm" response and works almost every time.

2. Get out of there. If a raging cager is actively trying to run me down (this has happened more than once), because they feel they were wronged by whatever, then its time to introduce them to the concept of power-to-weight ratio. Drop two gears and pin it. If necessary, I will swerve through traffic a bit to get away from the immediate threat. Once I'm out of sight, I exit and either take the regular roads home or pull over to take a breather and let the raging cager unknowingly pass.

I would never try to engage a cager, because you have no idea of who it is you're dealing with and might end up seriously injured or killed. Whether or not you were in the right or not is of little use when you're incapacitated or dead. The same goes for pulling a weapon. Escalating a situation is just not a smart thing to do. If they follow you, lead them to a police station.
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

nitzer
Achievement count: 8

Post by nitzer » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:15 pm

fixxervi6 wrote:Be nice, if he continues to escalate until its a real threat, defend yourself. I am a very nice person while carrying.
:icon_whs0be:
- Derek
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (SOLD)
2003 Suzuki SV650S (SOLD)
2008 Honda VFR 800 Interceptor (Street)

Winning hearts and minds...two the heart, one to the mind.

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:25 pm

nitzer wrote:
fixxervi6 wrote:Be nice, if he continues to escalate until its a real threat, defend yourself. I am a very nice person while carrying.
:icon_whs0be:
The only problem with this is that by the time he runs me over i won't have time to do anything about it. Not only that it would be insanely dangerous to shoot at someone speeding away.
The world needs Miles

nitzer
Achievement count: 8

Post by nitzer » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:29 pm

I just meant the part about being nice when I carry...I'm an ass the rest of the time...lol
- Derek
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (SOLD)
2003 Suzuki SV650S (SOLD)
2008 Honda VFR 800 Interceptor (Street)

Winning hearts and minds...two the heart, one to the mind.

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:50 pm

nitzer wrote:...I'm an ass the rest of the time...lol
we know this :)
The world needs Miles

Striple

Post by Striple » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:57 pm

nitzer wrote:I just meant the part about being nice when I carry...I'm an ass the rest of the time...lol
Then you must always be unarmed at bike night. :D :-)

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:03 pm

burn!
K1600