Feb Big Bend done, on to Utah in July

This is the general Discussion area used for....General Discussions. Talk anything here just keep it clean and no spam.
fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Feb Big Bend done, on to Utah in July

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:11 pm

I'm planning on heading to Escalate Staircase in July, home base out of a camp ground in Escalate Utah.

Last time I tried this, I ended up stranded in Albuquerque for a while so I missed a lot.

I'm going to be tent camping at a place that has showers (really good ones actually) I won't be able to finish the Rubicon to get it set to tow my camper by then so a tent it is, my airbags are in (not installed yet) but I still need to re-gear before I try pulling those mountains with a load in a jeep.

Right now it's me and the wife, I doubt anyone else from my clan will be joining.

I don't have a full plan as of yet but at a high level I plan on jeeping and hiking the area, including zion and bryce.

If anyone is interested in going I can spill more detail but it's mostly like the last trip to utah with an increased focus on hiking and seeing all the stuff I wanted to see before but didn't because of the god damn sand. I currently have a spare jeep, if someone wants to borrow it you can, only thing is if you roll it you buy it, and you have to tow it up yourself (it has a tow bar for flat tow). If it sells before then I know you can rent jeeps in the area, or you can bike it and I can act as support. The GS1200 would have had 0 issues tackling the capitol reef area but I won't deal with that sand again. I have a back seat in the jeep too so I can easily take someone along you just gotta get yourself up there (gotta fold down the seats to get all my camping gear up there).

If someone wants to buy my YJ for the trip I'd make you an epic deal on it.

If all this goes well I'll plan a ride to black hills after this trip.
K1600

JeffStrom
Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 7

Re: Feb Big Bend done, on to Utah in July

Post by JeffStrom » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:12 am

fixxervi6 wrote: I currently have a spare jeep, if someone wants to borrow it you can, only thing is if you roll it you buy it
Yeah, I just have a bit of suspension work to do on it... yeah... it'll be great. I'll just need a credit card impression before you take it out.

I will vouch for the bathrooms at that campground.

Did you really mean "ride" to the Black Hills? You could turn the ride north into an Iron Butt. Unless you want to go west and up through the mountains between Albuquerque and Casper. That would be an epic ride.
Jeff - Street Triple 675R / GSX-R600 / F850GSA

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:55 am

JeffStrom wrote:Did you really mean "ride" to the Black Hills? You could turn the ride north into an Iron Butt. Unless you want to go west and up through the mountains between Albuquerque and Casper. That would be an epic ride.
Yea, just not on the same trip :)

I do plan on heading west then north then cutting back east to the black hills.

Mad Moxxi has been sold, I'm down to 1 jeep.
K1600

JeffStrom
Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 7

Post by JeffStrom » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:59 am

Rick, Perhaps you should think about attending the 2019 Overland Expo (West) in May in Flagstaff.
https://www.overlandexpo.com/west

Looks like some fun stuff. 325 exhibitors, 175 specialized classes, lots of like minded people with ideas for trips and gear.

Some of the classes look interesting...
RiverCrossing.JPG
Also looks like an East event in October, but I didn't see a specific location.
Jeff - Street Triple 675R / GSX-R600 / F850GSA

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:54 pm

Would love to but I won't have the time off burning through it like water. Headed to big bend ranch this weekend to see the laccolith
K1600

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:25 pm

Still planning on going to Utah in July if I can get the money packed away, if the kid has to have his foot operated on I gotta pull the plug on the trip - so tentative as of right now. The killer is gas money, a trip that far through mountains and such can easily suck down $700 in gas unless your in a prius. But I don't have that, I've got gas hogs.

Leave July 20th, stop half way there for a hotel layover, arrive on the 21st and setup camp, hitting escalante, capitol reef, bisti, depending on timing various canyons along the way there and back with hiking. Tried this on a KLR last time and the sand almost gave me a stroke, this is the place where I started thinking "shit this would be easier in a jeep" as the jeep passed us on a hill that we were dying on.

If you want to come on out bikes are welcome, just don't expect me to help push, I will hook you to the bumper and pull or winch tho :-)
K1600