MiniGP rambling

This is the general Discussion area used for....General Discussions. Talk anything here just keep it clean and no spam.
WickerMan
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 1

MiniGP rambling

Post by WickerMan » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:48 am

Ever since I started riding track, and then thought I was pretty good at it, I've wonder how well I would hold up in a race situation. At COTA, some team had a display of a couple of Ohvale mini gp motorcycles and they were pretty cool and cheap as it gets. So I was thinking it would be fun thing to consider doing mini gp, although it might look like a monkey F'ing a football.

Then I was thinking wouldn't a larger 300cc class be better, considering I have the 636 now? My RRW magazine had a cool article on the new Ninja400R factory authorized racer. You can go to Ninja400r.com and see their extravagant prices.

Anyone else have dreams of tiny/small motorcycle glory? Not you Jeff, you're too tall
What is up with this space?
2015 ZX-6R 30th Anniversary
2014 CBR500R HRC
2007 Ruckus winter camo

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Achievement count: 0

Re: MiniGP rambling

Post by dufremle » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:41 am

I'm too fat for something like that
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

JeffStrom
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 7

Post by JeffStrom » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:09 am

Miles' ears are probably burning.

On a tangent: MSRC is building a go kart track. They have pavement down but I heard they may have to redo some of it due to issues with the base. It is located next to hwy 171, kind of off the end of the cul-de-sac where the rich people's weekend houses are.
Jeff - Street Triple 675R / GSX-R600 / F850GSA

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:50 pm

No
K1600

JeffStrom
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 7

Post by JeffStrom » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:02 pm

Matt, I'm sure you've seen the Motobros on their built Groms rip up the 1.3, passing people on the outside through turns. I think I saw a company out there that builds a 235cc conversion kit. Maybe that's what you need. I think the weakness on all the 300cc class bikes is the suspension. If you want to go that way plan on allocating some $$.
Jeff - Street Triple 675R / GSX-R600 / F850GSA

WickerMan

Post by WickerMan » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:17 pm

JeffStrom wrote:Matt, I'm sure you've seen the Motobros on their built Groms rip up the 1.3, passing people on the outside through turns. I think I saw a company out there that builds a 235cc conversion kit. Maybe that's what you need. I think the weakness on all the 300cc class bikes is the suspension. If you want to go that way plan on allocating some $$.
Ninja400r.com racers are like 9 to $15,000 plus. That's why I was thinking mini gp. You see some used class appropriate race bikes on CL every so often, but I doubt I'll make that much effort until I show some promise somewhere else.
2014 CBR500R HRC
2007 Ruckus winter camo

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:12 pm

Have you looked into the Texas minimoto go? This bikes you are talking about are wayyyy too big for the tracks they race on. Their website has what classes you can run and sizes. For example I built a purpose built ttr125(build thread on here). If I had to do it over again I’d probably go with a kx65
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

WickerMan

Post by WickerMan » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:28 pm

milesmiles wrote:Have you looked into the Texas minimoto go? This bikes you are talking about are wayyyy too big for the tracks they race on. Their website has what classes you can run and sizes. For example I built a purpose built ttr125(build thread on here). If I had to do it over again I’d probably go with a kx65
The Ohvale I saw at COTA was a 110cc. I did read the rule book some and I may go to the TMG in Denton in a few weeks. Did you ever finish or race the one you were building? Also why the smaller 65?
2014 CBR500R HRC
2007 Ruckus winter camo

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:11 am

I did finish and ended up selling it for $2400. It was an insane build. I rode it around parking lots quite a bit and took it to one race in Denton the week before I moved. Since it was the first time out on the track they gave me 30min out there alone. The bike was awesome! It need a slight adjustment with the carb needle, but other than that it ran well. On one of my last practice laps I went to crank it and heard a crunching sound. Long story short I broke the kick start gear in it....that was the third time. Later on I found out that that’s a common issue while running a big bore kit and an advanced ecu. Once I put the stock ecu back on it didn’t break again.

There are a ton of kx65 on the track. I talked to some guys and they explained that they are cheap, zippy and offer the best bang for the buck. Plus they really live up to the mini bike racing and parts are everywhere. They pretty much dominate the track from what I remember.

I found a place to race minis up here and have considered getting back into it. I’d get a kx65, put heavy springs, 12” rims and run the shit out of it. Doubt I’d do such a custom build again
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

WickerMan

Post by WickerMan » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:28 am

milesmiles wrote:I did finish and ended up selling it for $2400. It was an insane build. I rode it around parking lots quite a bit and took it to one race in Denton the week before I moved. Since it was the first time out on the track they gave me 30min out there alone. The bike was awesome! It need a slight adjustment with the carb needle, but other than that it ran well. On one of my last practice laps I went to crank it and heard a crunching sound. Long story short I broke the kick start gear in it....that was the third time. Later on I found out that that’s a common issue while running a big bore kit and an advanced ecu. Once I put the stock ecu back on it didn’t break again.

There are a ton of kx65 on the track. I talked to some guys and they explained that they are cheap, zippy and offer the best bang for the buck. Plus they really live up to the mini bike racing and parts are everywhere. They pretty much dominate the track from what I remember.

I found a place to race minis up here and have considered getting back into it. I’d get a kx65, put heavy springs, 12” rims and run the shit out of it. Doubt I’d do such a custom build again
2014 CBR500R HRC
2007 Ruckus winter camo

WickerMan

Post by WickerMan » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:32 am

WickerMan wrote:
milesmiles wrote:I did finish and ended up selling it for $2400. It was an insane build. I rode it around parking lots quite a bit and took it to one race in Denton the week before I moved. Since it was the first time out on the track they gave me 30min out there alone. The bike was awesome! It need a slight adjustment with the carb needle, but other than that it ran well. On one of my last practice laps I went to crank it and heard a crunching sound. Long story short I broke the kick start gear in it....that was the third time. Later on I found out that that’s a common issue while running a big bore kit and an advanced ecu. Once I put the stock ecu back on it didn’t break again.

$2400 is what a clapped out NSR50R goes for, and your speaking my language on a cheap ride. Especially if I’m potentially only doing it once. I also like the idea of another green Kawasaki. So good things to think about, thanks.
2014 CBR500R HRC
2007 Ruckus winter camo